< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Guys Rules  (Read 2449 times)

Offline kozball

• Steel Benefactor
Guys Rules
« on: June 12, 2018, 08:41:23 AM »
Ran across this while surfing... Good for a chuckle.

http://americandigest.org/wp/the-guys-rules/
\"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn\'t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.\"

Ronald Reagan

Offline m morton

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Guys Rules
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2018, 11:08:40 AM »
 ;D truth and nothing but the truth ..
I will allow myself one personal observation. If you want to disarm yourself, that is your choice. The following quote is a favorite of mine and something to keep in mind when you make that choice.

“Sheep don’t tell wolves what’s for dinner.”

Offline StuartJ

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2018, 09:30:56 PM »
If you need to learn more than 16 colors go to an office supply store and look at the printer ink.  The main colors for printer ink are black, magenta (not red), cyan (not blue) and yellow. Though 99% of customers, including women still call them red and blue.  Some printers also have light magenta (pink) and light cyan (a very pale blue) and gray. Some also have photo black (don't ask me).

When you're done gasping at the ink prices, got to the paper section and then the binders section. In those places you will discover such colors as as orchid , sapphire , lime, teal.  Oddly enough ink, paper and binder manufactures call yellow, yellow.  (years ago we had goldenrod but its yellow now).

I still don't know what mauve is. We don't have that one.

Henry Ford had it right when he made cars in black only.  Giving customers choices of color only causes trouble.  Especially during back to school when they will throw the red book covers on the floor trying to get to the blue one.  Or vice versa.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 09:34:33 PM by StuartJ »
"I ask, who are the militia? They consist now of the whole people, except a few public officers.”
-- George Mason

Offline Les

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2018, 07:43:43 AM »
When you're done gasping at the ink prices,
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
You said a mouthful there, and to add insult to injury none of the latest printers will run without at least some level of ink in all the cartridges.  Damn nazis.

Yes, those are pretty good rules.  :P
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 07:54:02 AM by Les »

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2018, 02:29:21 PM »
Ran across this while surfing... Good for a chuckle.

http://americandigest.org/wp/the-guys-rules/

And, right next to it this image:

Offline Atrus

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2018, 03:12:36 PM »
If you need to learn more than 16 colors go to an office supply store and look at the printer ink.  The main colors for printer ink are black, magenta (not red), cyan (not blue) and yellow. Though 99% of customers, including women still call them red and blue.  Some printers also have light magenta (pink) and light cyan (a very pale blue) and gray. Some also have photo black (don't ask me).

CMYK (cyan/magenta/yellow/key, or black) printing is a subtractive color model (as opposed to an additive color model like RGB) that's been around since 1906. It's used for printing because it works better in real-world applications than RGB (which is used primarily in television screens and web applications). I choose which color system to use in Photoshop based on whether the end result is going on the Web or being physically printed.

"Photo black" is a dye (as opposed to a pigment in the other cartridges) used to create better shading (it's actually grey inside the cartridge) and is used only for pictures (regular black is used for text).

Offline Captdad17

• Former cop, prior military, protective dad. Don't touch my tools or my daughter and we'll get along just fine.
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2018, 03:21:27 PM »
Honestly, if you do the math, it's almost cheaper to just buy a new printer every time you run out of ink.  Of course, the best way to go is to refill yourself, but not all printers accept that.
When faced with a crisis, ask yourself three questions: Is anyone dead?  Is anyone hurt?  Are there hostages?  If the answer to all three is "No", then calm down, it's not a crisis.

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2018, 07:48:27 AM »
Henry Ford had it right when he made cars in black only.  Giving customers choices of color only causes trouble.  Especially during back to school when they will throw the red book covers on the floor trying to get to the blue one.  Or vice versa.

Actually this is only true with the Model T. Before the T he had several models with colors like green, maroon, blue, etc. They would be the Model K,  Model R and Model N, etc.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline StuartJ

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2018, 04:11:22 PM »
I have bough a new printer every Black Friday for the last two years.  Of course I work at Office Depot, so I just grab one before I leave for the day.
I  do that because I don't print much and it is cheaper to replace the cheap printer than the ink.
"I ask, who are the militia? They consist now of the whole people, except a few public officers.”
-- George Mason

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2018, 05:25:43 PM »
I  do that because I don't print much and it is cheaper to replace the cheap printer than the ink.

That is a fact for bubblejet printers.   My last bubblejet was an HP.  Brand new I used an entire color cartridge set trying to get it to print decent color photos on photo stock.   I gave up and switched to lasers.  My first was a Samsung ML-1200, which still runs great but I've stored it in the garage because it is not duplex.   I've owned an HP LaserJet P1606DN since December of 2010, when I paid $230 for it.  Now it sells on Amazon for $623.    I am on my 3rd or 4th toner cartridge, I can't remember which.  It prints about 2,100 pages per toner at 19 ppm, double sided.  IF I want color I take the files to Walmart.