< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Going to Minnesota?  (Read 1315 times)

Offline karl

• NFOA Full Member
Going to Minnesota?
« on: June 13, 2018, 12:36:43 PM »
Am attending a convention in Minneapolis in late August. Would I have time to obtain either a Utah or Florida permit?

Offline Jito463

• Site Administrator
Re: Going to Minnesota?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 03:48:57 PM »
Am attending a convention in Minneapolis in late August. Would I have time to obtain either a Utah or Florida permit?

Doesn't look to me like either one is recognized by MN.  Looks like ND allows non-resident permits are recognized by MN, but you have to actually travel to ND to obtain it.

https://www.concealedcarryonline.com/north-dakota/north-dakota-permit-non-resident/

https://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_reciprocity_maps.html

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 04:03:33 PM »
MN no longer recognizes "non-resident" state permits.

Offline Jito463

• Site Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2018, 06:51:13 PM »

Really?  Then USA Carry needs to update their website.

Offline LJUnaTIC

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
  • On the Fringe
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2018, 09:32:38 PM »
If you want leading edge ccw information  for all states your only source is Handgunlaw.us
"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! - I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry

Offline Jito463

• Site Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2018, 08:14:19 AM »

According to the site posted by LJUnaTIC, they still do.

(a) The commissioner must annually establish and publish a list of other states that have laws governing the
issuance of permits to carry weapons that are not similar to this section. The list must be available on the
Internet. A person holding a carry permit from a state not on the list may use the license or permit in this
state subject to the rights, privileges, and requirements of this section.

And also from the mn.gov page:
https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/bca/bca-divisions/administrative/pages/permit-to-carry-faq.aspx
If I am a resident of a state that does not have reciprocity with Minnesota but have a permit to carry from a state that does, may I carry in Minnesota?

Yes.

Interestingly, I also found this on the mn.gov site:

What are the requirements for getting a permit to carry?

Must be at least 21 years of age
Must complete an application form
Must not be prohibited from possessing a firearm under Minnesota Statute 624.714
Must not be listed in the criminal gang investigation system
Must be a resident of the county from which you are requesting a permit, if you reside in Minnesota. Non-residents may apply to any Minnesota county sheriff.
Must provide certificate of completed authorized firearms training. Training by a certified instructor must be completed within one year of an original or renewal application. (624.714, Subd. 2a)
And also this:
If I am a non-resident, must I take an approved firearms training class in Minnesota in order to get a Minnesota permit to carry?

No. You are only required to present evidence that you have received training in the safe use of a pistol from an organization or government entity that has been approved by the Minnesota Department of Public Safety in accordance with the department’s standards.

*EDIT*
I just realized, by "non-resident state permits", you may have been referring to MN granting them to non-residents, not reciprocity with other states.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2018, 09:03:41 AM »
To clarify my comment ... MN no longer recognizes a "Non-Resident" Utah permit as many of us in the past held (for the reason to go to MN).
Also, note MN, no longer recognizes any form of FL permit.
One can obtain a "Non-Resident" MN Permit.

Permits/Licenses This State (Minnesota) Honors Listed Below

Alaska Delaware Idaho1
 Illinois Kansas
Kentucky Louisiana Michigan New Jersey New Mexico
North Dakota2
 Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota3
 West Virginia
Idaho1
- Honors ID Enhanced Only. North Dakota2 - Honors ND Class 1 Only
South Dakota3
– Honors SD Enhanced Permit Only

Minnesota Honors Non-Resident Permits/Licenses From the States They Honor (i.e. the ones listed above).