< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: DPMS Panther Arms AR-15 anygood?  (Read 2449 times)

Offline StuartJ

• NFOA Full Member
DPMS Panther Arms AR-15 anygood?
« on: June 28, 2018, 11:40:09 AM »
All I know about AR-15s is there not assault rifles but antigunners pretend they are and want them banned.  I don't know anything abot DPMS Panther.

If you did not have an AR-15 would you buy the DPMS Panther Oracle deguns has for $399.99 ($349.99 after a $50 mail in rebate from DPMS Panther)?
"I ask, who are the militia? They consist now of the whole people, except a few public officers.”
-- George Mason

Offline Les

• NFOA Full Member
Re: DPMS Panther Arms AR-15 anygood?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2018, 02:49:57 PM »
Never laid eyes on one, but you can't build one that cheap. 

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2018, 03:01:51 PM »
Never laid eyes on one, but you can't build one that cheap.

Actually, you almost can these days. Depends on where you source the lower receiver, which run about $50 lately...

If it were me, I'd build one but it all depends on if a person has the tools and skills to do it.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-16-stainless-mid-length-1-7-freedom-rifle-kit.html

PSA 16" MID-LENGTH 5.56 NATO 1:7 STAINLESS FREEDOM RIFLE KIT - 43526
87 Reviews | 1 Question, 6 Answers
IN STOCK

$ 599.99 $ 299.99

« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 03:14:29 PM by FarmerRick »
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline Randy

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • "Liberty or Death"---------"Don't Tread on Me!"
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2018, 10:04:05 PM »
DPMS is an entry level firearm but, the price is right.
Let us never forget 9.11.01
 "She Never Begins An Attack, Nor When Once Engaged, Ever Surrenders:"
An American Guesser Oct.3, 1775

Offline Les

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2018, 07:46:55 AM »
Actually, you almost can these days. Depends on where you source the lower receiver, which run about $50 lately...

If it were me, I'd build one but it all depends on if a person has the tools and skills to do it.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-16-stainless-mid-length-1-7-freedom-rifle-kit.html

PSA 16" MID-LENGTH 5.56 NATO 1:7 STAINLESS FREEDOM RIFLE KIT - 43526
87 Reviews | 1 Question, 6 Answers
IN STOCk

$ 599.99 $ 299.99

I build, because I can't stand the trigger and would like to know who actually produced the barrel (Rack grade :'()
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 07:51:18 AM by Les »

Offline JMH

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2018, 09:02:54 AM »
So for someone who isn't interested in building, what are some recommendations for decent, basic AR's (manufacturer)?  Something that has the necessary features and reasonably accurate? 

Seems like whenever I look, there are a whole bunch of makers I have never heard of who are really proud ($2k+) of their rifles, and then there are a handful in the $500-$900 range also.  How much of a "you get what you pay for" is there in AR's?

Online Waltherfan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2018, 10:58:07 AM »
There are no shortage of opinions on which makers are better than others or "Good enough". For a good look at a lot of your options go to ar15.com. They have a section on things to consider when shopping for an AR.
What brand you pick can depend on what you want to do with it and how accurate you want it to be. ARs in general are reasonably accurate. Probably more accurate than the shooter holding it.
If money is a big motivator, then that DPMS is a good buy. It should give you years of shooting pleasure. The other thing you need to consider is what are you going to use for sights?
I used to tell people, "Save money on your rifle and spend it on good optics".

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2018, 11:16:05 AM »
 if its only going to be your FIRST ar-15,  its a good buy.. DE guns has them in stock,  its a fair weapon,  will go bang, trigger isnt a match grade, but you arnt paying for match grade,
   if all you going to do is play at the range,  its fine.

It will also let you figure out what you like, and what you dont like. and what you want. then you can get a better one for your second AR.
Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
 NRA Endowment member
  Shoot  them in the crotch.  Clint Smith, thunder ranch.  Oct 14, 2016

Offline StuartJ

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2018, 01:18:28 PM »
Thank you but I'm not buying anything from deguns.  For 3 days they didn't respond to my email when I complained about it on Facebook they said to send them a private message on Facebook. I did. They haven't answered it. They did post a message on FB two hours after the store was closed last night promoting these AR-15s.  I guess since I was asking about revolvers they have no interesting in talking to me.

I'll to go the NFOA meeting and eat their icre cream for free but I'm not buying anything from them.

Guess its back to Bud's Gunshop or Gunbroker. They'll answer emails and sell me a 357 mag revolver for less than deguns.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 01:35:18 PM by StuartJ »
"I ask, who are the militia? They consist now of the whole people, except a few public officers.”
-- George Mason

Offline Randy

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • "Liberty or Death"---------"Don't Tread on Me!"
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2018, 02:13:15 PM »
Have you thought about using the good old telephone?
Let us never forget 9.11.01
 "She Never Begins An Attack, Nor When Once Engaged, Ever Surrenders:"
An American Guesser Oct.3, 1775

Offline Jito463

• Site Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2018, 04:14:36 PM »
Have you thought about using the good old telephone?

Offline StuartJ

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2018, 01:00:09 PM »
Have you thought of entering this century?  In this age of online sales no store can afford to ignore customers emails.

I've worked in retail for a dozen years I know how to treat a customer and this ain't it. Ever heard of the phrase "The customer is always right'?  They didn't answer my email until after I posted a public message on Facebook asking why they ignore their customers emails. And even then their initial response was send us another email.  And after they said to send them a private message on Facebook. I did both and they ignored both. What really makes me mad is that at 10pm two hours after the store was closed they posted a picture of a woman with an AR-15 in an obvious attempt to sell more AR-15s. They could post an add outside business hours but they wouldn't chatt with me even during store hours after telling me to use Facebook to talk with them.

When they finally did send a response it was rude and unhelpful.  No apology for the delay just a crass statement that the two preowned guns I asked about were sold.  There was no suggestion of other guns.  And they completely ignored my second question which was would they want to buy a couple guns from me. How much effort does it take to type "No thank you"?

Maybe I'm spoiled working for a company that keeps drilling "the customer comes first" in our heads and tells us to do whatever it takes to keep a customer.   If I have to tell a customer the clearance printers they were interested in are gone I don't leave it at that. I try to help them find other printers. If I don't have other clearance printers than I offer a discount on new ones.  Better to lose a few dollars on one sale than lose the customers future purchases.

Local business need me more than I need them.  If they don't understand that they that is there loss. 
-- George Mason

Offline Jito463

• Site Administrator
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2018, 01:45:04 PM »
Local business need me more than I need them.  If they don't understand that they that is there loss.

Very true, and I agree with the rest of your post, as well.  I've worked in retail - or had some other form of customer interaction - for most of my adult life, so I'm fully aware of what it takes to keep the customers happy (though with some customers it is just not worth the bother).  I haven't had a bad experience with DEGuns myself, but I can certainly understand your reservations in dealing with them given the situation you've described.

Offline DenmanShooter

• NFOA Full Member
  • Fear No Evil
    • SolidRed
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2018, 03:07:47 PM »
Did you buy one yet.

I have one and I like it very much.  I paid more than that special price you show. 

Plus I have modified it with an optic, MBUS sights, different hand guard, magpul fore grip, sling adapter, magpul sling...

Manual says not to use steel case ammo, but I have ran some steel case ammo thru it and it cycles fine.

It is accurate and reliable.

The golf course is a willful and deliberate misuse of a perfectly good rifle range!      Jeff  Cooper