< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Youth Rifle Teams?  (Read 1671 times)

Offline Range Mom

• NFOA Board of Directors
    • Incendio Firearms Training
Youth Rifle Teams?
« on: March 26, 2019, 06:33:46 PM »
My 14 year old daughter is falling in love with rifle shooting.  I know we have college teams in Nebraska,  but she's in high school in Papillion.  Are there teams, clubs or organizations that she could get into?
Trish - NFOA Board President, Founder Incendio LLC

"The possession of arms by the people is the
ultimate warrant that government governs only
with the consent of the governed."

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
Re: Youth Rifle Teams?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2019, 07:58:33 PM »
Trish:

Coupla possibilities while you're gathering responses from the Forum.

>Appleseed Project
It's alive and well in Nebraska.  You can Google it for more info.  Super program.

>Indoor Ranges
You can zoom right up 84th Street to Center.   Shoot at Omaha Gun Club on the 50 yard range.  Great place.

So there you are for some starters.

What kind of armament is this Young Lady shooting........??

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline Range Mom

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2019, 09:18:22 PM »
She's currently shooting a few of my ARs, trying to figure out what configuration she likes (all iron sights). She has a .22 marlin with a simple red dot she enjoys shooting at longer distances. Great suggestion on the Appleseed might just do that with her. I think we'd both enjoy it.

Offline cftj

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2019, 10:15:48 PM »
It is a great time.  My son wants to go back this fall.  I was trying to get my daughter to go this spring, but it conflicts with volleyball.
if my people who are called by my name humble themselves, and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land. - 2 Chronicles 7:14 ESV

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2019, 07:42:14 AM »
She has a .22 marlin with a simple red dot she enjoys shooting

Any .22LR by Marlin is about as accurate (and more importantly, precise) as it ever gets.  Can't beat that microgroove system.  Good choice.

There's a lot of learning about rifle shooting to be obtained from the .22LR.  Cartridges come in long rifle, long (if you can find them), and shorts.   The LRs come in many bullet configurations and many velocities.  Not to mention birdshot, etc.  So should she be inclined, she can experiment for a long, long time with that rifle and the multitude of ammo possibilities.  And the cost will be manageable.

And then You could buy and She could mount a Really Good Riflescope (NOT talkin' about a bitty .22 scope with a half-inch tube, fixed-4 power).   Maybe something by Vortex or Leupold.  Even Bushnell.  See how it behaves beyond 75 yards.

Good outdoor weather comin' up.  You're off and running.

Enjoy.

sfg

Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline kozball

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2019, 09:49:09 PM »
Check out the schedule at ENGC.

If I recall, they have different types of matches for rim fire rifle.

I would bet the competitors would be more than accommodating with the youngsters.
\"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn\'t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.\"

Ronald Reagan

Offline rnbones

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2019, 07:58:48 AM »
I know that at least Omaha Central still has a rifle team, At least as of 2 years ago. That wouldn't help your daughter but they might know of other teams in the Omaha area. You might think of starting a team there in Papillon. The school there might be interested. I think the NRA might step in and help. They might be able to help with expenses and/or equipment.
If you can read this thank a teacher, because it is in English thank a soldier.

Offline Range Mom

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2019, 11:31:32 AM »
Any .22LR by Marlin is about as accurate (and more importantly, precise) as it ever gets.  Can't beat that microgroove system.  Good choice.

There's a lot of learning about rifle shooting to be obtained from the .22LR.  Cartridges come in long rifle, long (if you can find them), and shorts.   The LRs come in many bullet configurations and many velocities.  Not to mention birdshot, etc.  So should she be inclined, she can experiment for a long, long time with that rifle and the multitude of ammo possibilities.  And the cost will be manageable.

And then You could buy and She could mount a Really Good Riflescope (NOT talkin' about a bitty .22 scope with a half-inch tube, fixed-4 power).   Maybe something by Vortex or Leupold.  Even Bushnell.  See how it behaves beyond 75 yards.

Good outdoor weather comin' up.  You're off and running.

Enjoy.

sfg

Thanks for the info!  I am really excited about all this, but more importantly, she is too, which just warms this mama's heart <3

Offline Range Mom

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2019, 11:32:02 AM »
I know that at least Omaha Central still has a rifle team, At least as of 2 years ago. That wouldn't help your daughter but they might know of other teams in the Omaha area. You might think of starting a team there in Papillon. The school there might be interested. I think the NRA might step in and help. They might be able to help with expenses and/or equipment.

That is an interesting idea... setting up something... will have to look into that. Thanks!

Offline tachyonbb

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2019, 01:48:00 PM »
Both Papillion High Schools have rifle teams.  Papillion South has an indoor range.  They shoot precision air rifles in 10m competition (like the olympics).  No scopes.  Hammerli, Anschutz, Feinwerkbau are the high end guns.  These teams are associated with their NROTC departments. Most OPS schools have rifle teams.  I know Northwest and South have ranges. They compete in postal matches and on site matches with the area championship being held in Beatrice this year.

Both Papillion high schools also have very active trap teams.  They shoot in the Eastern Cornhusker Trapshooting Conference and at the Cornhusker Nationals in Doniphan the first weekend in May.