< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Sellier Bellot 12 ga 00 Buckshot over length  (Read 1896 times)

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
Sellier Bellot 12 ga 00 Buckshot over length
« on: July 16, 2018, 10:12:26 PM »
  I bought a bunch of Sellier and Bellot OO buck 12 ga shells. right on the box  and printed on the shell itself it says 2 3/4 inch shells.  but they are longer than a Remington OO buck shell and wont feed thru my 870. almost 1/4 inch longer

anyone have any trouble with these?
Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
 NRA Endowment member
  Shoot  them in the crotch.  Clint Smith, thunder ranch.  Oct 14, 2016

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
Re: Sellier Bellot 12 ga 00 Buckshot over length
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2018, 07:23:37 AM »
Shooter:

Might be useful to contact S&B Customer Service and tell them what you have.

Chances are, they might want them back for a QC analysis.

If the shells are marked wrongly, they could also be loaded wrongly.

Just a thought.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2018, 07:32:22 AM »
lets see some pics!  sounds like a goof-up.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2018, 09:54:48 AM »
 Measured them,  standard2 3/4 shells. ( measured several different brands), are around 2 1/4 inch long,   these are just over 2 1/2 inch long.
 NRA Endowment member

Offline m morton

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2018, 12:38:06 PM »
the length posted on a box of shells is the fired length of the shell so it clears the breach on extraction.

per a post on www.shotgunworld.com "The linear dimension used to identify a particular shot shell refers to the length of its fired case and not that of the loaded round. Actual length will vary slightly among various brands of shells, but those designated as 2 3/4 inches usually measure around 2 5/16 inches before firing and 2 5/8 to 2 11/16 inches after firing.
Three-inch shells usually measure from 2 1/2 to 2 5/8 inches before firing and lengthen to just under three inches when fired. "

[/b]
I have a few different boxes from Winchester , 12Ga low brass upland 2 3/4 in 4 shot ... and Winchester 12Ga high brass duck and pheasant in 6 shot both measure 2 3/8 from top of shell to bottom of brass. and my shotgun will shoot 2 3/4 or 3" shells stamped on the barrel. i have not shot in 18 years . i have only had a feed issue with a few factory shells. they had a bad fold and had a pucker pinch on the top outside lip, that would get snagged up on loading. a quick shave of the plastic with a pocket knife and the shell loaded good after it's poor crimp pucker was knocked off. that fat lip would stop the shell at the mouth of the chamber.

i did have a buddy that his new gun did not like high brass. shells would get caught up some times 9/10's of the way into the chamber.  my gun did not care it would shoot both high or low and any brand shell all day long. and another that his gun did not like extracting "don't recall the brand of shells" low brass 3 in/20 would pull out 1/2 way and stay in the chamber / block the new shell .. he just had to buy brand X .. and he had no issues .. finicky extractor lol .. i have seen guns not like a brand of ammo, rounds were too fat and the tolerance on the inside of the chamber were on the "tight side" so any round on the high end of the spec. would be a snug fit or would not load at all. and i am talking about factory ammo not reloaded stretched out shells.

you stated "wont feed thru my 870" are the rounds getting stuck as soon as the action comes up to close the chamber? like the top of the shell is too fat or like the shells i had to shave a bit of plastic off because the top had a pinch bump that would catch and keep the round from entering the chamber?
 then you say you measured these are just over 2 1/2 inch long. you sure your not trying to put a 3" shell in to a 2 3/4 in gun ?? that shell @ 2 /12 in length may be a 3 inch shell in the wrongly marked box / wrongly marked / used brass bottoms?? your shotgun should be stamped 2 2/4 or 3" or even state will accept both 2/3/4 or 3" shells if it does not state both or only states 2 3/4 i would not shoot a 2 1/2 inch AKA 3" fired length shells in it.  firing the wrong size shell could be catastrophic.

as stated by  SemperFiGuy Might be useful to contact S&B Customer Service and tell them what you have.
 If the shells are marked wrongly, they could also be loaded wrongly.  <-- my thoughts exactly

« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 01:02:10 PM by m morton »
I will allow myself one personal observation. If you want to disarm yourself, that is your choice. The following quote is a favorite of mine and something to keep in mind when you make that choice.

“Sheep don’t tell wolves what’s for dinner.”

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2018, 02:59:35 PM »
 The shells are to long. it is stamped on each shell 2 3/4 the shell dosent come out of the tube far enough for the lifter to raise it up to be put in the chamber,

I been reloading shotgun shells over 50 years,  I know how long a shell can be, and these are just to long,

called S&B. waiting for them to call back
 NRA Endowment member

Offline David Hineline

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2020, 12:57:09 AM »
They are longer than a std. shell with the star crimp, they get more pellets in them by have a roll crimp, they still eject fine because they do not get longer once fired. I have not had any problems with them in any gun I have used them in, but my 870s are all magnum receivers so I can not verify your issue.  They are exactly the spec Fiocchi wants them to be so your contact to them will mean nothing.

Machinegun owners blow thier load with one pull of the trigger