< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Shotgun Choke Storage  (Read 2163 times)

Offline APF1013

• NFOA Full Member
Shotgun Choke Storage
« on: July 20, 2018, 11:13:55 AM »
Hey everyone.  I am looking for ideas on an organized and efficient way to store shotgun chokes.  I have somewhere around 50 and would like to keep them all together somehow.  I recently bought a large ammo storage container but I'm not sure it's going to work. What do you guys do?

Offline m morton

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Shotgun Choke Storage
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2018, 12:47:06 PM »
i only have a few , but i have cut old t shirts into squares. "no logo/paint in the parts i use as it can cause condensation = rust" a few inches longer then the tubes and enough to roll around at least twice. oil them up and then roll them up and poke the rolled ends inside the tubes all so lightly oil saturate the rags for long term storage . then I stick them in to a ammo can in side my gun safe with my cleaning supply's. but as i said i only fave a few. i have a 50 cal can and a 223 can for cleaning supply's and cleaning kits for shotguns , long guns, & pistols, plus all the brushes rods, oils and solvents etc in my cans...

for 50 lol i would get some sort of tray system "a nut and bolt tray from a hardware store may work good?  and separate them by gun they belong to making sure all tubes to one gun can fit into one tray or if large trays 2 guns in one tray, then mark the tubes & trays.

if you want to mark full choke, modified & improved and gun they belong too etc use part of a 3 by 5 card and a rubber band over the oiled tube/rag if the rubber bands brake over time use sandwich/trash bag ties or even zip ties keep them loose so you can reuse the 3by5 card and zip tie when you want to use a tube. just take it out wipe it clean and go shooting , clean it, re-oil and reuse the oily rag and stick it back in it's proper tray. 

best of luck hope my out side the box ideas work or come to inspire some thing that will.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 12:58:23 PM by m morton »
I will allow myself one personal observation. If you want to disarm yourself, that is your choice. The following quote is a favorite of mine and something to keep in mind when you make that choice.

“Sheep don’t tell wolves what’s for dinner.”

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2018, 09:49:06 PM »
"Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder." ~ FCK

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2018, 11:46:25 AM »
Another alternative. MTM makes plastic shotshell trays and boxes that hold 10 gauge shells. Should be big enough for 12 gauge chokes.

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/mtm-dual-gauge-shell-cases?hvarAID=shopping_googleproductextensions
"Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder." ~ FCK

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2018, 12:33:45 PM »
And Then..............

You might consider SELLING some of those choke tubes.
(Maybe enough to buy.............Another Shotgun.)

Just a random thought for your consideration.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer