< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: NO fremont gun show this fall  (Read 3045 times)

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
NO fremont gun show this fall
« on: July 20, 2018, 07:05:33 PM »
DAMN

just got a letter from the Fort Atkinson Muzzle loaders gun club, they canceled the Fremont show for sept 15 &16 this fall. to bad, I had tables at every show there all 36 years, to bad, was a nice time there
Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
 NRA Endowment member
  Shoot  them in the crotch.  Clint Smith, thunder ranch.  Oct 14, 2016

Offline Jito463

• Site Administrator
Re: NO fremont gun show this fall
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2018, 07:29:09 PM »
I bought my very first rifle there (would have been a pistol, but I didn't have my purchase permit on me).  Did they say why?

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2018, 07:43:13 PM »
 Not enough tables sold.   to many people shopping online and not coming to gun shows/   just like most businesses online is killing everything
 NRA Endowment member

Offline Lmbass14

• Powder Benefactor
  • Red Horse - Semper Ducimus
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2018, 05:59:30 PM »
Bob, will they have the spring show?

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2018, 10:10:22 PM »
Im not sure, that is put on by a different club.
 NRA Endowment member

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2018, 10:14:50 PM »
But I did talk to the Lincoln show, they are going to have theres,

but also no Millard show to
 NRA Endowment member

Offline LJUnaTIC

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
  • On the Fringe
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2018, 11:20:40 PM »
Millard show moving to Wahoo
"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! - I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2018, 10:57:00 AM »
Millard show moving to Wahoo

any idea where? the Guard armory used to be great.   only other place I can think of  is the fair grounds. and those building are smaller that millard was.  except the animal building. and that has a dirt floor
 NRA Endowment member

Offline LJUnaTIC

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
  • On the Fringe
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2018, 01:30:34 PM »
   any idea where? the Guard armory used to be great.   only other place I can think of  is the fair grounds. and those building are smaller that millard was.  except the animal building. and that has a dirt floor

No...dont recall who told me that right now
"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! - I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2018, 12:36:48 PM »
Not enough tables sold.   to many people shopping online and not coming to gun shows/   just like most businesses online is killing everything

This always confuses me.   If someone puts on a garden show they'll have lots of attendees and vendors show up.  If the ladies who do handiwork wanted to do a show for quilting, knitting, tatting, etc., they'd have tons of people showing their creations, and peddling wares all the way up to modern long-arm quilting machines that cost many thousands of dollars.  The patrons will buy local to support their local quilt shop.  The vendors will offer free training classes to go with the equipment purchase and will guarantee an ongoing customer service relationship.

Go to a gun show and you've got to pay an entry fee to crowd in a hall with a bunch of vendors who seem angry to have to talk to you.  They'll be selling cheap Chinese knives (less quality and higher price than Walmart), fake LEO badges and hats, confederate and third Reich memorabilia, beanie babies, barbeque sauces, random stuff made out of animal pelts, and badly written pulp fiction books that are too awful to make the cut in the real publishing world.

The tables with guns will be half full of cheapie brands you've never heard of.  The other half will be used guns that are priced higher than the same gun new at local vendors like Big Shots, Scheels or DE Guns -- none of whom are even present to show their wares.  The few new guns will have been manhandled and scratched up.

There will be no evidence that shooting ranges and gun clubs have been invited to show up and recruit new members.  There will be no evidence that high school and 4H trap clubs have been invited to have a table and recruit new shooters.

I'm not sure the internet is fully to blame.  Doesn't seem to me like the vision for what a gun show should be has evolved in 50 years. 

« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 12:43:48 PM by ILoveCats »
"Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder." ~ FCK

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2018, 12:57:05 PM »
This always confuses me.   If someone puts on a garden show they'll have lots of attendees and vendors show up.  If the ladies who do handiwork wanted to do a show for quilting, knitting, tatting, etc., they'd have tons of people showing their creations, and peddling wares all the way up to modern long-arm quilting machines that cost many thousands of dollars.  The patrons will buy local to support their local quilt shop.  The vendors will offer free training classes to go with the equipment purchase and will guarantee an ongoing customer service relationship.

Go to a gun show and you've got to pay an entry fee to crowd in a hall with a bunch of vendors who seem angry to have to talk to you.  They'll be selling cheap Chinese knives (less quality and higher price than Walmart), fake LEO badges and hats, confederate and third Reich memorabilia, beanie babies, barbeque sauces, random stuff made out of animal pelts, and badly written pulp fiction books that are too awful to make the cut in the real publishing world.

The tables with guns will be half full of cheapie brands you've never heard of.  The other half will be used guns that are priced higher than the same gun new at local vendors like Big Shots, Scheels or DE Guns -- none of whom are even present to show their wares.  The few new guns will have been manhandled and scratched up.

There will be no evidence that shooting ranges and gun clubs have been invited to show up and recruit new members.  There will be no evidence that high school and 4H trap clubs have been invited to have a table and recruit new shooters.

I'm not sure the internet is fully to blame.  Doesn't seem to me like the vision for what a gun show should be has evolved in 50 years. 

Agreed.  I quit going to gun shows a few years ago.  If I want to see piles of overpriced junk I'll go to a pawn shop and not have to pay an admission fee.

There are some decent vendors but by and large there's not much to pull me in.  I still support local businesses, but I don't bother with gun shows.

Offline Opusnbill7

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2018, 03:56:18 PM »
I've found some good deals, but mostly it's just something fun to do and look around at.

Unfortunately, there's a lot of truth in what you posted, and I only hope we're not witnessing the end. 

I'm afraid we may be, though, with increasing insurance costs (only a matter of time before someone sues a gun show for a crime some fool commits after buying it there).  Doesn't matter that the gun is only the tool, we can't hold someone responsible for their actions anymore.

Offline Jito463

• Site Administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2018, 11:14:53 PM »
---snipped for space---

I can't say I disagree with anything you've posted.  Although sometimes you can find a really good deal (I bought a pretty nice Jimenez .380 at one), most of what you describe is pretty accurate.  My last handgun I bought started with me heading to the gun show, then driving to DEGuns afterwards because they actually had what I was interested in for the price I was willing to pay.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 02:39:37 PM by Jito463 »

Offline greg58

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2018, 10:55:48 AM »

I agree, the last gun show I went to was Millard a few years ago, mostly unfriendly vendors, high prices, and a lot of stuff I have no interest in.
I did manage to find a Revolver I had been looking for, and am aware of the value of. The indifferent vendor acted put out that I didn't want to pay $150 more than the going rate online.
It is no different in any business, customer service, value, friendliness get the sale.
I am seeing the same thing in the automotive swap meets that I attend, lots of overpriced junk. The only people selling wares are realistically priced! I have had better luck buying on this site from fellow members.
Greg
Pants Up!  Don't Loot!

Offline David Hineline

• NFOA Full Member
Machinegun owners blow thier load with one pull of the trigger

Offline Opusnbill7

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2018, 09:01:48 PM »
Can you tell us what's at the link?  It says I can't see it because it's either been moved or I'm not in the proper group.

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2018, 08:27:55 AM »
Columbus Rifle Club will still have their fall gun show on September 8 and 9th at the Ag Park. 

Last count was over 130 tables sold.
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller