< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Appleseed this weekend!  (Read 1289 times)

Offline dkarp

• NFOA Full Member
Appleseed this weekend!
« on: April 13, 2019, 01:59:42 PM »
Anyone here participating in the Appleseed shoot going on this weekend? I wanted to but too many conflicts in my schedule. I am planning on the September one though. Also kinda hard to plan for 2 full days, a one-day would be easier to schedule things around.

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
Re: Appleseed this weekend!
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2019, 10:51:44 AM »
Yes, I was there. (Kinda had to be, I am an instructor ;) )
We have had 1 day clinics, but the course is set up for 2 and cramming all the Instructions, and the Heritage talk into 8 hours, just doesn't leave much time for AQTs and is really a disservice to the shooter. 
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline dkarp

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2019, 10:55:29 PM »
So how did it go? Any participants that are forum members that have an after action report?

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2019, 04:24:32 PM »
A quick and dirty AAR...
We had 6 shooters on the line, one new shooter and the remainder were returning.  (One Patriot traveling from Colorado again to spend an Appleseed weekend on the range with his buddies)  In total we handed out 5 Rifleman patches on a beautiful April day! 
 The new shooter proved to be a good shot and utilizing the skills taught, improved his shooting that much more and was able to make rifleman on his first AQT!!   Kudos to Eric who, dealing with off range issues, was able to slide into that Rifleman's Bubble and finally score his Rifleman patch!!  The two older gentlemen, having shot Rifleman a few times each before, returned to try their hands at making score with Bolt Action rifles and succeeded!! -  One coming close to earning a Distinguished Rocker.  The final shooter was 'knocking on the door'  of making score all weekend- and will prevail.
  Our all volunteer Instructor cadre also did well.  Toby, a Red Hat, lead his first Project Appleseed Clinic, one more check off the list toward a Green Hat.  Dennis and Jeff, newish Orange Hats, were each promoted to their next level as IITs.  And Jeremy, after much prodding, completed his final steps and was promoted to Red Hat (we got to witness him accept his promotion by engaging his actual orange ball cap with an M1 Garand!  Pew-Pew-Ping!)  Red Hat Eric was able to capitalize on the student/ instructor ratio and got in some trigger time with a new rifle during Sunday's ATQ grind.
  All in All, it was the perfect weekend to celebrate Patriot's Day (April 19, 1775), learning the true story of our Heritage and how Marksmanship played a crucial role that day and the colonists' quest for Liberty. 

Whoever looks upon them as an irregular mob, will find himself very much mistaken. They have men amongst them who know very well what they are about.  Lieutenant-General Hugh Percy, in his report of the day's action.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 04:28:45 PM by NE Bull »
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane