< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Mollie Tibbets: Didn't Have to End That Way  (Read 1771 times)

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
Mollie Tibbets: Didn't Have to End That Way
« on: August 22, 2018, 09:30:27 AM »
It's not all that uncommon to see young, nubile women running along on lonely stretches of jogging path.  Unaccompanied.   Alone.

Every time I see that kind of event  happening, I always wonder just what are they thinking of.   Or--actually--not thinking of.

When I see my own daughter suiting up (or unsuiting, as it generally happens) to go runninig, I ask her if she is taking her handgun.   And I get that startled look, as in "Now, why would I want to do THAT....?"   And she is a certified NE CHP instructor and holds a current NE CHP.   And has a Beretta 21A that I gave her.   And she shoots it quite well.  But leaves it at home.

If Mollie Tibbets had been carrying even one of those teeny NAA .22LRs, her story coulda had a different ending.  Quite different.

It IS a Jungle Out There.   Even a jungle can look peaceful.  But it's still a jungle.

FWIW,

sfg

Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Mollie Tibbets: Didn't Have to End That Way
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2018, 09:33:47 AM »
 extremely sad. and very angry.

I am not allowed by common sense and rules of this Association to say how I feel and what I want to do
Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
 NRA Endowment member
  Shoot  them in the crotch.  Clint Smith, thunder ranch.  Oct 14, 2016

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2018, 09:49:20 AM »
I am not allowed by common sense and rules of this Association to say how I feel and what I want to do

Over the years in reading these posts I have often noticed that you and I have shared many viewpoints in common.

Including this one.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2018, 09:59:32 AM »
For ten years I lived in (or near) a village of 480 souls and if that town of 1,400 is not any different then I suspect that all the illegal aliens in that town and general area are sensing that it would be better for them if they went someplace else.  Perhaps Southern California.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2018, 11:16:29 AM »
I run and bike a lot, and I'm always amazed by how many young women (and men) I see who are trucking along the bike path with earbuds, completely oblivious to their surroundings.  I'm old and slow so I get passed more than I pass others, but when I overtake someone they usually have no idea I'm there until I'm already around them. 

Offline Les

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2018, 02:11:58 PM »
Agree with all the above, but wasn't she only 20?  Can she legally conceal in Iowa?  I know I'm always concerned about my youngest (26) with her nose in the phone wherever she goes, totally oblivious to the world around her. 
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 06:08:45 PM by Les »

Offline Jito463

• Site Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2018, 03:27:43 PM »
Agree with all the above, but wasn't she only 20?  Can she legally conceal in Iowa? 
https://www.usacarry.com/iowa_concealed_carry_permit_information.html
According to this, only professional licenses can be granted to those under 21.  Non-professional licenses are 21 & older.

https://www.usacarry.com/iowa-open-carry.html
According to this, open carry may have been an option, though it does include the caveat whereby it's restricted within city limits (whether her hometown is classified as a "city" in this regard, I don't know).

Offline Kendahl

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2018, 04:53:03 PM »
https://www.usacarry.com/iowa_concealed_carry_permit_information.html
According to this, only professional licenses can be granted to those under 21.  Non-professional licenses are 21 & older.

https://www.usacarry.com/iowa-open-carry.html
According to this, open carry may have been an option, though it does include the caveat whereby it's restricted within city limits (whether her hometown is classified as a "city" in this regard, I don't know).
According to HandgunLaw.us (under Open Carry Without a Permit), the minimum age for open carry is 21.

She could have carried pepper spray. A squirt in the guy's face followed by a swift kick to the family jewels and another to his head would have given her time to call for help.

Offline Jito463

• Site Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2018, 06:30:20 PM »
According to HandgunLaw.us (under Open Carry Without a Permit), the minimum age for open carry is 21.

She could have carried pepper spray. A squirt in the guy's face followed by a swift kick to the family jewels and another to his head would have given her time to call for help.
The USA Carry site said they had seen both ages listed for open carry, so they weren't sure.

Of course, all this speculation assumes she didn't know her attacker.  If it was someone she trusted (family member, "friend", etc), she may have still been surprised and overpowered.  Unfortunately, only three people know what really happened out there.  The attacker, Molly and God.

Even if law enforcement can't find the person who did this, they'll still inevitably face judgment from a higher authority.

Offline Jito463

• Site Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2018, 07:42:31 AM »
Well, it seems I wasn't up to speed on the latest news when I made my last post.  It appears that it was an illegal alien who killed Mollie.  Interestingly, Fauxcahontas tried to dismiss the issue and claim the real problem is our immigration system.

https://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/nb/scott-whitlock/2018/08/22/will-nets-notice-warren-dismissing-murder-illegal-focus-real

I'm so sorry for the family here and I know this is hard not only for the family, but the people in her community, the people throughout Iowa. But one of the things we have to remember is we need an immigration system that is effective, that focuses on where real problems are.

Apparently, getting murdered by an illegal alien isn't a "real problem".

Offline Captdad17

• Former cop, prior military, protective dad. Don't touch my tools or my daughter and we'll get along just fine.
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2018, 08:17:12 AM »
This one hit home for me.  We live in a small town, about 600 people.  I have a 16 year old daughter and an 18 year old son who runs cross country.  I had a heart-to-heart with both of them when this story broke.  Having an LE and military background, I've taught them both from a young age how to be safe and defend themselves, and yes, how to properly handle, fire and most importantly, respect a handgun.  I told my daughter that she will never be "out of the woods", that there will never be a "safe age" that she has to make it to and feel like no one will try to abduct, rape, or murder her.  It will be ever-present in her life.  But she's far from helpless.

There are ways to be safe out there, no matter what you're doing, what your wearing, or who you're with.  We need to teach our daughters, nieces, and spouses how NOT to be a victim (and yes, our sons and nephews, too).  You don't HAVE to carry a gun.  Pepper spray, taser, folding knife, flashlight, pen, rock...  ANYTHING can be a weapon when the situation warrants, you just need to know how use it.  Never miss an opportunity to train, always keep your head on a pivot and pay attention to what's around you, trust your instincts when they tell you something isn't right, and always, ALWAYS, fight back!  Do whatever you have to do to survive and never get in that van.  Dig, claw, scratch, poke, kick, punch, squeeze, twist, use whatever you have, however you can, to make the attacker bleed or break.  You are fighting for your life, it's him or you, don't give up until you are safe.  If that means you snap his kneecap, then snap his f***ing kneecap!  Don't stop.  Run.  Get out.  Survive.

I was invited to teach this last year in Beatrice with my daughter (https://beatricedailysun.com/news/local/fighting-back-self-defense-presentation-offers-tips-on-staying-safe/article_03689235-0641-5ea1-b0fe-f2f376e92eb2.html).  More women and men need to know this stuff.  They need to know it's OK to be safe, to be prepared, to defend themselves.  I would encourage everyone who has the means, training, and ability to make an impact in their own communities so your town doesn't become the next Brooklyn, IA.  Do whatever you can, whatever that looks like.  If you need help, seek out resources that can help.

My thoughts and prayers are with Mollie's family, I can't imagine the devastation this must have unleashed on them.  If you have a daughter, no matter how old, keep her safe.  You can't always be there to defend her, so you need to teach her how to defend herself when you're not around.
When faced with a crisis, ask yourself three questions: Is anyone dead?  Is anyone hurt?  Are there hostages?  If the answer to all three is "No", then calm down, it's not a crisis.

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2018, 09:50:48 AM »
This one hit home for me.  We live in a small town, about 600 people.  I have a 16 year old daughter and an 18 year old son who runs cross country.  I had a heart-to-heart with both of them when this story broke.  Having an LE and military background, I've taught them both from a young age how to be safe and defend themselves, and yes, how to properly handle, fire and most importantly, respect a handgun.  I told my daughter that she will never be "out of the woods", that there will never be a "safe age" that she has to make it to and feel like no one will try to abduct, rape, or murder her.  It will be ever-present in her life.  But she's far from helpless.

There are ways to be safe out there, no matter what you're doing, what your wearing, or who you're with.  We need to teach our daughters, nieces, and spouses how NOT to be a victim (and yes, our sons and nephews, too).  You don't HAVE to carry a gun.  Pepper spray, taser, folding knife, flashlight, pen, rock...  ANYTHING can be a weapon when the situation warrants, you just need to know how use it.  Never miss an opportunity to train, always keep your head on a pivot and pay attention to what's around you, trust your instincts when they tell you something isn't right, and always, ALWAYS, fight back!  Do whatever you have to do to survive and never get in that van.  Dig, claw, scratch, poke, kick, punch, squeeze, twist, use whatever you have, however you can, to make the attacker bleed or break.  You are fighting for your life, it's him or you, don't give up until you are safe.  If that means you snap his kneecap, then snap his f***ing kneecap!  Don't stop.  Run.  Get out.  Survive.

I was invited to teach this last year in Beatrice with my daughter (https://beatricedailysun.com/news/local/fighting-back-self-defense-presentation-offers-tips-on-staying-safe/article_03689235-0641-5ea1-b0fe-f2f376e92eb2.html).  More women and men need to know this stuff.  They need to know it's OK to be safe, to be prepared, to defend themselves.  I would encourage everyone who has the means, training, and ability to make an impact in their own communities so your town doesn't become the next Brooklyn, IA.  Do whatever you can, whatever that looks like.  If you need help, seek out resources that can help.

My thoughts and prayers are with Mollie's family, I can't imagine the devastation this must have unleashed on them.  If you have a daughter, no matter how old, keep her safe.  You can't always be there to defend her, so you need to teach her how to defend herself when you're not around.

I really wish THIS class was tought at the NFOA meeting this weekend,   would bring all my grandkids to this one
Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
 NRA Endowment member
  Shoot  them in the crotch.  Clint Smith, thunder ranch.  Oct 14, 2016