< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Project Appleseed September 15-16  (Read 1111 times)

Offline cftj

• NFOA Full Member
Project Appleseed September 15-16
« on: September 02, 2018, 10:00:32 PM »
I signed my son and myself up for this event.  I have one Ruger 10/22. 

I was hoping to be able to borrow another for him to use.  I thought u read they may have loaner rifles, or perhaps some one has one he could use.  Otherwise I'll have to see if I can round up some funds to buy a second.
if my people who are called by my name humble themselves, and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land. - 2 Chronicles 7:14 ESV

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
Re: Project Appleseed September 15-16
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2018, 01:40:27 PM »
Usually an instructor (namely me) has a couple ready to loan.  Ammo is on you- please nothing dirty *cough Remington cough*  (I hate to clean)
(insider secret- CCI standard velocity is the go to .22 ;) )
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline cftj

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2018, 09:13:41 PM »
Great.  I appreciate it. 

I've got 1k of Winchester M22. 550+ of assorted CCI, and even some old Remington, Winchester I got after my dad died.   $2.69 for TG&Y
if my people who are called by my name humble themselves, and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land. - 2 Chronicles 7:14 ESV

Offline cftj

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2018, 11:32:13 PM »
Why weren't you there? I was surprised how much I learned.  It was a great weekend and I really appreciate all the help and knowledge that was shared by the instructors.

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2018, 08:17:35 AM »
Why weren't you there? I was surprised how much I learned.  It was a great weekend and I really appreciate all the help and knowledge that was shared by the instructors.
By YOU are you referring to me?  or the membership in general.  ;)
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline cftj

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2018, 08:50:30 PM »
The membership in general.. ;D

This was my first Appleseed, and I didn't realize how much I needed it.   I took my son, he is 16, thinking I was going for him.  We were both a little apprehensive about what was going on, but that soon faded.   

The days started with a safety briefing, if there was one thing I was sure of, it was a very safe day.

The first shots fired were at a target of 'redcoats' to give you a reference on where you are at the beginning.    I had struggles with the rifle i brought (a ruger 10/22). so my first redcoat target was without holes.  Luckily there were plenty of people willing to loan what they have.     My son was also using a borrowed rifle, he didn't hit anything either (but it was his first time behind a rifle)

Then there was some 1" squares to help you sight in your groups. then we went on to the ghost targets.   Interspersed throughout the day was bits of history about the day the US revolution started and proper use of a sling and other marksmanship skills.

Sunday the pace stepped up with the clock putting what you have learn to the test, reinforcing the training, and testing your skill.  At the end of the day, I managed (to my own surprise) to shoot a Rifleman qualifying score.  Can you put shots into a postage stamp at 25 yards? No rest, no bipods, just you and the slinged rifle...

Even my son was able to shoot quarter sized groups by the end.  (and we found out he shoots leftie)

To top it off, one of the instructors stuck around after we cleaned up on Sunday to help me diagnose and repair my rifle.

All it all it was well worth the weekend spent to improve my skill and make some new friends.  I'm looking forward to going again next year, and bringing my daughter, you should too...

now i need to buy another rifle...
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 09:17:45 PM by cftj »