< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: How might we reach out to the next generation and get them involved in NFOA?  (Read 3248 times)

Offline Range Mom

• NFOA Board of Directors
    • Incendio Firearms Training
Trish - NFOA Board President, Founder Incendio LLC

"The possession of arms by the people is the
ultimate warrant that government governs only
with the consent of the governed."

Offline m morton

• NFOA Full Member
 NFOA football tail gate party at sporting events to hand out fliers, bumper stickers etc. HS and or Husker football games?? it would suck for our members due to the gun free zone BS but would get the word out..
 may be some summer time between school break or between school year "gun related activity's" gun safety classes with 2A info , gun law info etc, skeet shooting , trap shooting , teach reloading class then take them to the range to shoot the ammo they reloaded, hunters safety classes. maybe some online videos about what we do and how laws get made in Neb. and how the system needs people like those in the NFOA posted here..  get them young and they will all ways be interested in guns / hunting and the laws around them etc.  then in the gun laws we need. and out of all the feel good BS laws and liberal blow hard agendas.
 not sure that OPS would print out fliers with any thing gun related to hand out lol but the smaller city's and towns might. some of the above could be an hour or so once a week for a month activity?  i think Omaha has that cox channel 23? i think..  is some sort of community channel not sure if any one watches it lol ... but maybe some air time on it ?

back in the day... 80-84 my high school years we kids got a list of "fun activity's" we could pick from to go do .  most cost money to go do.  i took judo and trap shooting. that got me in to Pheasant hunting then after my time in the Army i got in to Deer hunting / Archery because shooting deer was to easy with a gun lol 
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 01:54:24 AM by m morton »
I will allow myself one personal observation. If you want to disarm yourself, that is your choice. The following quote is a favorite of mine and something to keep in mind when you make that choice.

“Sheep don’t tell wolves what’s for dinner.”

Offline Range Mom

Those are awesome ideas! Way out of the box thinking. Thank you!!!!!

Offline Captdad17

• Former cop, prior military, protective dad. Don't touch my tools or my daughter and we'll get along just fine.
  • NFOA Full Member
A)  I realize that parents are going to have a heavier influence on the younger generation than anything we can do as an association.  Win over the parents, win over the children.

B)  Knowing why we carry every day is more important than knowing that we carry every day.  A weapon is just a tool to protect and defend yourself, and if you have no clue how to build a house, what good is a hammer?  Focus the effort on teaching the younger generation how to react in an active shooter situation, not just at school (which most school procedures, not all, for handling that is a joke), but also at a gas station, Wal Mart, the mall, movie theater, Starbucks, a concert, the fair, or anywhere else people gather to make a shooting gallery for a disturbed person to enact their evil will.  How about a carjacking, robbery, kidnapping, or sexual assault?  If you offer self-defense training to help people understand why it's a good idea to carry a gun without actually telling them that they need to carry a gun, they'll likely figure it out on their own and a few of them may even get more involved with gun legislature, procedures, policies, awareness, and everything else that goes with it.  We (as a society) see stories on the news about shootings and our immediate reaction to to pass stricter guns laws instead of taking the time to learn how to protect ourselves and understand what to do in those types of situations.  Most people I talk to about carrying fail to realize the responsibility that comes with it.  They just want to be a badass or have some false piece of mind that they're safe.  There's more to it than that.  They don't even know what would happen if they had to draw their weapon and (God forbid) have to use it.  The more people we can reach with that kind of message, the more people will be interested in being responsibly armed Americans.

Just my 2 cents, which I know ain't worth that much.
When faced with a crisis, ask yourself three questions: Is anyone dead?  Is anyone hurt?  Are there hostages?  If the answer to all three is "No", then calm down, it's not a crisis.

Offline Range Mom

That is really excellent insight.  There are some great programs in my training inventory on that subject matter. Presented in a firearm-neutral way, I can see that eyes may be open.  Combine that with MMorton's contributions, I think we are on to something here.

Thank you!

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
Machine guns, suppressors and other NFA goodies to get them in the door and then to them about all other sides of gun ownership, voting, safety, etc.

wait, that's what i appeals to me.   ;D
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
I believe several ideas came up in my session at the Members Meeting.

Offline Range Mom

The inspiration for this post as well as the article that I found during my research of the topic

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
Set up an outreach table or booth at the state trap meet in Doniphan the first week of May.  Many hundreds of kids already active in the shooting sports but have no idea the NFOA exists.

Communicate to them using methods that kids use.  They do not read Internet forums, and Facebook is for Generation X and older.  Are we on instagram?
"Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder." ~ FCK

Offline Les

• NFOA Full Member
Set up an outreach table or booth at the state trap meet in Doniphan the first week of May.  Many hundreds of kids already active in the shooting sports but have no idea the NFOA exists.

Communicate to them using methods that kids use.  They do not read Internet forums, and Facebook is for Generation X and older.  Are we on instagram?
Good suggestion, I made the same one several years ago.  The problem is finding a volunteer to put in time.

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
Re: How might we reach out to the next generation and get them involved in NFOA?
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2018, 08:21:41 AM »
We are on Instagram.

And Twitter

And Facebook

Even MeWe, even though that place is dead.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline Range Mom

Re: How might we reach out to the next generation and get them involved in NFOA?
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2018, 11:33:44 AM »

Any lead on who we might contact to set up a table or booth?

Offline rnbones

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2018, 07:18:28 PM »
You might try contacting Jim Price in Doniphan. His Phone number is 402-462-0103. He owns and operates Price Sales and Production ( A gun store in Doniphan ).
If you can read this thank a teacher, because it is in English thank a soldier.

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2018, 12:16:02 AM »
Any lead on who we might contact to set up a table or booth?

While Jim is a great guy, and Two Rivers Gun Club was an early donor and supporter of the NFOA, they don’t have anything directly to do with the state trap meet. If interested in setting up something there it can be done if there are volunteers to man it, it is run by the Nebraska Game and Parks.

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2018, 09:14:12 AM »
Good suggestion, I made the same one several years ago.  The problem is finding a volunteer to put in time.

I wouldn’t mind helping if / if my kids are shooting there this year. I think the question then is... what does the Association plan on *doing* with a fresh list of young, active, gun enthusiasts? We could do lots of stuff like this like meet with the UNL campus Republicans, or other conservative campus groups. But how do we leverage those assets in the upcoming, wonderful time when Ernie is term-limited out and we can actually move the ball down the field?

Is there a plan to begin handing the torch over to smart, eager people from Generation Y? I’ve met many of you and we’re starting to get to that age ... you know .... like, where we could put some money in pool to bet on who’s having the next bypass surgery.  :laugh:

Getting people to sign up at a table is never the hard part.  Converting “prospects” into “sales” is what’s difficult.
"Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder." ~ FCK

Offline StuartJ

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2018, 10:01:29 AM »
The public school is going to have more influence than the parents. Most parents these days don't parent.
"I ask, who are the militia? They consist now of the whole people, except a few public officers.”
-- George Mason

Offline Les

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2018, 12:01:51 PM »
I wouldn’t mind helping if / if my kids are shooting there this year. I think the question then is... what does the Association plan on *doing* with a fresh list of young, active, gun enthusiasts? We could do lots of stuff like this like meet with the UNL campus Republicans, or other conservative campus groups. But how do we leverage those assets in the upcoming, wonderful time when Ernie is term-limited out and we can actually move the ball down the field?

Is there a plan to begin handing the torch over to smart, eager people from Generation Y? I’ve met many of you and we’re starting to get to that age ... you know .... like, where we could put some money in pool to bet on who’s having the next bypass surgery.  :laugh:

Getting people to sign up at a table is never the hard part.  Converting “prospects” into “sales” is what’s difficult.
Not sure of the approach with younger members yet, somehow need to keep them active.  Ernie is big part, but not the only roadblock.

Offline Range Mom

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2018, 08:25:57 PM »

That is and must be step two of our planning and strategizing. Young people who do engage, want to stay engaged and make a difference. Thinking cap is on!

Offline Les

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2018, 07:32:59 AM »
The public school is going to have more influence than the parents. Most parents these days don't parent.
Very true, some parents had parents that didn't as well.  So the cycle continues and becomes normal for them, it's actually sad to watch. 

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2018, 08:47:21 PM »
That is and must be step two of our planning and strategizing. Young people who do engage, want to stay engaged and make a difference. Thinking cap is on!

My 2 cents, the need to recruit young people is 2 fold. First as a whole the firearms community is getting older, want the freedoms we love to last we need to work to bring the importance and the experience to the young people. Many of the folks who are our kids know learning our traditions will go off to college and start their own lives, this is when many set aside those traditions and histories and never make it back, we can try to keep them involved through this type of thing, creating activities etc for them to be a part of.

College age kids have time and no money, they can be activated with a plan on how and what direction we wish to give them. For some help here I can get anyone who is interested with Steven Bader, he got the Congressional Leadership Fund going here in Omaha and they use a large amount of high school and college volunteers to get things done. Currently he is helping get another office going in another state but I’m certain he could give some insights when back in town.