< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: How might we reach out to the next generation and get them involved in NFOA?  (Read 3256 times)

Offline Range Mom

• NFOA Board of Directors
    • Incendio Firearms Training
Re: How might we reach out to the next generation and get them involved in NFOA?
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2018, 09:35:48 AM »
For some help here I can get anyone who is interested with Steven Bader, he got the Congressional Leadership Fund going here in Omaha and they use a large amount of high school and college volunteers to get things done. Currently he is helping get another office going in another state but I’m certain he could give some insights when back in town.

That would be great Andy, no need to recreate the wheel. I am sure he can give us some great insights. 
Trish - NFOA Board President, Founder Incendio LLC

"The possession of arms by the people is the
ultimate warrant that government governs only
with the consent of the governed."

Offline tachyonbb

• Forum Member
Re: How might we reach out to the next generation and get them involved in NFOA?
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2018, 08:04:37 PM »
The Cornhusker trap shoot has 2,500 junior/senior high school shooters every year. I have been involved for a lot of years. Nebraska Game and Parks runs the shoot. Contact
Terry Brentzel, Trapshoot Director
Email, preferred method: terry.brentzel@nebraska.gov
Nebraska Game and Parks Commission
PO Box 131
Oshkosh, NE 69154
308-458-7650

While Terry "runs" the shoot,  Dennis and Patti Lacquement actually do the registration, camping, results etc for the meet. Their email is
patti.dennis.2700@gmail.com. 

Doane, Midland, Concordia and  Hastings all have college shotgun teams. UNL is in the process of resurrecting theirs. The "Upper Midwest Clay Target Championship" is sponsored by the ACUI (they are the recognized governing body for college shotgun sports and hosts regional and a national championship every year).  Last year the meet had 20 colleges competing at Heartland in trap/skeet and sporting clays. Rumor is they will add bunker to the mix this year. The meet will be November 3-4.  Bill Starkey is the manager for the shooting park. Russ Arnold (rga@ss-consulting.org) is the shoot director.

Bruce Esser

Offline tachyonbb

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2018, 08:31:41 PM »
I have been coaching a high school shotgun team for the last 15 years. While I make sure my girls (it is a girls high school) know about the 2nd amendment and current issues, most coaches do not.  I would estimate that about 10-15% of the high school shooters at Doniphan are aware of the issues involved. Most shooters do not. Many do not even know the difference between auto and semi auto.  They shoot their shotgun and enjoy the competition, social aspects and breaking targets. Maybe it is different for those outside the Omaha/Lincoln schools. The students have a lot of down time so they are a prime market opportunity.

If you want to reach these students you have to market to them.  A bunch of GOM's (grumpy old men ... a usual moniker for ATA shooters ) sitting at a table will not work. The National Guard brings vehicles and machine guns and always has a crowd.  DU has engraved shotguns and drawings for various DU merchandise.  Some antique engraved or historically significant firearms may attract a crowd.  A well prepared handout with links for those interested in getting more information would be good. Most students have been taught to never give out personal information so you would need a drawing or some other attraction for them to give you their email/irl address. Then you have to follow up with fun and educational activities.  Maybe a day learning to shoot rimfire or hand guns for shotgun shooters.   

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2018, 03:17:59 PM »
 the only way I know of the get at the kids,  somehow get 2A information into video games,

you figure out  how to do that , and you will have all of them interested
Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
 NRA Endowment member
  Shoot  them in the crotch.  Clint Smith, thunder ranch.  Oct 14, 2016

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2018, 06:23:58 PM »
Tachyonbb, good to hear from you. How are things going.

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2018, 08:51:23 PM »
... A bunch of GOM's (grumpy old men ... a usual moniker for ATA shooters ) sitting at a table will not work. The National Guard brings vehicles and machine guns and always has a crowd.  DU has engraved shotguns and drawings for various DU merchandise.  Some antique engraved or historically significant firearms may attract a crowd.  A well prepared handout with links for those interested in getting more information would be good. Most students have been taught to never give out personal information so you would need a drawing or some other attraction for them to give you their email/irl address. Then you have to follow up with fun and educational activities.  Maybe a day learning to shoot rimfire or hand guns for shotgun shooters.

Now that's some good thinking there!!!!!
"Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder." ~ FCK