< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Where's a Water-Kooler Lawyer When You Need One...??  (Read 2109 times)

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
Where's a Water-Kooler Lawyer When You Need One...??
« on: October 23, 2018, 04:23:06 PM »
O-Kayyyyyy.......Here Goes:

Scenario:

Two Nebraska resident guys with current NE CHPs and current NE Firearms Purchase Permits meet at a shooting range in another US state.
Guys admire each other's handguns.
Decide to trade, right there on the spot.

Question:
Legal..??

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline Les

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Where's a Water-Kooler Lawyer When You Need One...??
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2018, 04:41:26 PM »
I'll play, sure it should be but I'd guess the right answer would be to use an FFL from each state. 

Offline JAK

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2018, 04:46:10 PM »
That is a good one,

While the language dealing with transfer of firearms between non-FFL's simply indicates that it can only happen between members of the same state and dose not specify that they need to be in that state.  The language dealing with residency indicates that they must be present in the state with the intention of making a home there.  There is also language indicating that a non-FFL can only receive firearms from a FFL with a couple of exceptions.

In order to stay on the safe side, I would not make the transfer until I got back to Nebraska.

Offline GreyGeek

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2018, 05:30:37 PM »
If they wrote each other a bill of sale indicating their respective names and addresses, their CHP permit number (Isn't the CHP all that is necessary for a purchase permit?) and "some" convenient date, who is to say otherwise?   

This points out the real reason for the FFL: to act as a registrar of firearm serial numbers, a database which can be used in the future to confiscate firearms when the Marxist achieve political  supremacy.   

Offline RLMoeller

• Sponsor- NFOA Firearm Raffle at the 2009 Big Buck Classic. 2010 Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2018, 08:20:47 PM »
I suppose it would depend on the state and the language of the state law.  There are states where that would be illegal.  Even handing someone your shotgun while bird hunting to cross a fence would be considered a transfer in those states.  Your scenario does not sound like a transfer in most states.

Offline Jito463

• Site Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2018, 10:30:21 PM »
Two Nebraska resident guys with current NE CHPs and current NE Firearms Purchase Permits meet at a shooting range in another US state.
Guys admire each other's handguns.
Decide to trade, right there on the spot.

Question:
Legal..??

What happens on the gun range, stays on the gun range.

Of course, I'm sure the leftist kooks have a differing view on that, but if the transaction is a completely private one, then i can't see how they'd get into any legal issues.  Unless, of course, someone saw them doing it and reported them.

Offline David Hineline

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2018, 02:09:42 AM »
Why would they have both carry permits and purchase cards, as the carry permit voids the need for the purchase card.
Machinegun owners blow thier load with one pull of the trigger

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2018, 08:18:11 AM »
Why would they have both carry permits and purchase cards, as the carry permit voids the need for the purchase card.

It was a trick question. :D

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2018, 09:26:53 AM »

As it happens, I habitually carry BOTH a current NE CHP AND a current NE Firearms Purchase Permit.

So Why.....??

I try to employ redundant systems in situations of significance.   Like firearms purchases.

But I'm not a slave to it.   I don't wear both belt and suspenders.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline Les

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2018, 06:40:00 PM »
As it happens, I habitually carry BOTH a current NE CHP AND a current NE Firearms Purchase Permit.

So Why.....??

I try to employ redundant systems in situations of significance.   Like firearms purchases.

But I'm not a slave to it.   I don't wear both belt and suspenders.

sfg
I always enjoy these "exercises"  Makes us all think, and maybe a tiny bit of trolling?  Bravo Sir.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2018, 06:54:14 PM »
Upon Review:

I'm allied with the Folks here who advocate a conservative approach; namely, take the guns back home to Nebraska and consummate the swap-out there.

No need to flirt with the GrayBar Hotel.   Especially since the laws of the state-where-traded apply.   And as much as I try to learn the laws of other states, it's a challenge.

sfg