< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Lincoln ordinance struck down  (Read 1074 times)

Offline LJUnaTIC

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
  • On the Fringe
Lincoln ordinance struck down
« on: September 21, 2018, 11:48:22 PM »
https://journalstar.com/news/local/911/judge-s-decision-calls-into-question-lincoln-ordinance-that-bans/article_c1596598-f368-5690-814d-5716d7f681f1.html

A Lincoln man's conviction, under a city code that bars him from possessing a firearm because he's been found guilty of contributing to the delinquency of a minor, violates his right to keep and bear arms, a judge has ruled.

The decision late this week in 25-year-old Evan Bell's case stopped short of finding the city code unconstitutional, as gun rights advocates would've liked.

Rather, Lancaster County District Judge Kevin McManaman found that it was unconstitutional as applied in Bell's case.

Still, people on both sides of the issue say the ruling set up the potential for more legal challenges to the part of Lincoln's city code that expands who is legally barred from possessing firearms to include those convicted of things such as public indecency, possession of marijuana and trespassing [/qoute]
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 11:52:42 PM by LJUnaTIC »
"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! - I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry

Offline Ryan

• Forum Member
Re: Lincoln ordinance struck down
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2019, 12:31:39 AM »
He made a mistake in not appealing further.

Offline LJUnaTIC

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
  • On the Fringe
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2019, 01:31:36 PM »
He made a mistake in not appealing further.

Please explain how a man who won his appeal could " appeal further"
"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! - I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry

Offline Ryan

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2019, 04:49:11 PM »
It was a partial victory