< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Utah Lawmakers Pass Gun Regulation Exemption Bill (Firearms Freedom Act)  (Read 1088 times)

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
http://connect2utah.com/content/news/story?cid=75241

Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010 @02:11pm CST
SALT LAKE CITY (AP) - Guns made and kept in Utah would be exempt from federal regulations under a measure passed by the Utah Legislature.

Senate Bill 11 was passed Wednesday by the Utah House 56-17. It now goes to the governor.

The proposal mirrors one Montana signed into law last year that's intended to trigger a federal court battle.

The measures would allow guns made in the respective states to be exempt from federal gun registration rules like background checks.

The goal is to circumvent federal authority over interstate commerce, the legal basis for most gun regulation in the U.S.

Sen. Margaret Dayton, an Orem Republican, has said her bill is part of a broader effort to send a message to Congress that the federal government is overstepping its bounds.

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline ghknives

• Gun Show Volunteer NRA Life member
  • Powder Benefactor
Re: Utah Lawmakers Pass Gun Regulation Exemption Bill (Firearms Freedom Act)
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 08:32:42 AM »
I wonder what Senator Councils' arguments would be against something like this
I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I only love that which they defend.        J.R.R. Tolkein

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 02:17:31 PM »
I wonder what Senator Councils' arguments would be against something like this
OMG!!!!  That would be very hard to sit thru, yet I would have to stay to see the train wreck!
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline DanClrk51

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 12:37:30 PM »
Awesome, now Nebraska has to do the same. But this year we need to concentrate on Castle Doctrine. Everyone please call the judiciary committee members now so they can vote it out onto the floor. So far the bill is not moving because of some liberal senators on the committee who are worried about the bill aka Senator Lathrop. Also Senator Brad Ashford has not made up his mind yet. So please lobby Ashford heavily.