< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: S-Corp and NFA Items...  (Read 3379 times)

Offline OmahaGlock

• NFOA Full Member
S-Corp and NFA Items...
« on: October 13, 2018, 01:51:51 PM »
Anyone in here have items registered to their corporation? Pros/Cons? My business is an S-Corp, and I’ve been debating doing SBR / Surpressor through the Corp...

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
Re: S-Corp and NFA Items...
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2018, 07:38:49 PM »
I have a trust with several items. No experience with LLCs. I would call Dick Clark, but he might be a bit busy with election day coming up.

IIRC, every employee must submit prints, photos since they can all access said NFA item.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2018, 04:45:11 PM »
I believe if you do that, the NFA item(s) must be transferred as assets of the company if the company is sold. I'm not sure how the 2016 changes affect this type of ownership.

Offline Les

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2018, 06:11:21 PM »
You don't want to associate your business S-corp/LLC with NFA.  Start a separate NFA trust, pretty cheap and easy especially though SilencerCo easy trust ($129)

Offline RLMoeller

• Sponsor- NFOA Firearm Raffle at the 2009 Big Buck Classic. 2010 Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2018, 07:30:36 PM »
I too would recommend against having NFA assets as part of your company. Setup a NFA trust if you want the benefits that would offer.

Offline OmahaGlock

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2018, 10:14:01 PM »
I appreciate the input. What are the pitfalls? I should maybe clarify, that I am self employed, with one employee that is not an officer of the corporation. My liability as a corporation isn’t like say that of an Amazon, Verizon etc... It’s mainly for tax purposes that I am registered as an S-Corp. I figure since I’ve already established the Corp, I could continue to maintain it if I ever shuttered the business...
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 10:16:21 PM by OmahaGlock »

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2018, 08:07:01 AM »
with the 41F changes, there really isn't much of a difference any more.  you still need photos, fingerprints, etc, no matter if you do Individual, Trust or LLC.  the only benefit i like from Trusts is allowing multiple people access NFA firearms and having beneficiaries listed.  a Trust is just better and has more options available.

is there a reason you want to use your LLC, when filing as an Individual is exactly the same since you are the only one who can access the NFA items?

Do you have a family?  Do you want them to use your cans/SBR's, etc?  if so, a trust is probably your best bet.

just stuff to think about.

Offline OmahaGlock

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2018, 08:55:36 AM »
with the 41F changes, there really isn't much of a difference any more.  you still need photos, fingerprints, etc, no matter if you do Individual, Trust or LLC.  the only benefit i like from Trusts is allowing multiple people access NFA firearms and having beneficiaries listed.  a Trust is just better and has more options available.

is there a reason you want to use your LLC, when filing as an Individual is exactly the same since you are the only one who can access the NFA items?

Do you have a family?  Do you want them to use your cans/SBR's, etc?  if so, a trust is probably your best bet.

Just stuff to think about...

Thank you. This is what I was looking for. I’m a noob with NFA, and figured since I already have a Corp, some steps would be eliminated or things would be easier.. IF all things are pretty much equal, I will look into the trust route. Thanks for the info...

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2018, 02:05:53 PM »
Thank you. This is what I was looking for. I’m a noob with NFA, and figured since I already have a Corp, some steps would be eliminated or things would be easier.. IF all things are pretty much equal, I will look into the trust route. Thanks for the info...

i highly suggest talking to Dick Clark.  he specializes in NFA Trusts.  he can answer everything.

Offline Atrus

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2018, 06:16:43 PM »
Has anyone set up a trust for non-NFA firearms? While researching this topic I read one article that suggested all firearms should be in a trust to avoid having them confiscated in the event you're no longer allowed to possess them (for example, being diagnosed with dementia) and to make it easier for them to be passed down (descendants just being added to the trust instead of the firearms going through the inheritance process). Thoughts?

Offline LJUnaTIC

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
  • On the Fringe
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2018, 10:54:07 PM »
I have all my firearms in a trust set up by Dick Clark (no NFA items)
"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! - I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2018, 07:35:12 AM »
Has anyone set up a trust for non-NFA firearms? While researching this topic I read one article that suggested all firearms should be in a trust to avoid having them confiscated in the event you're no longer allowed to possess them (for example, being diagnosed with dementia) and to make it easier for them to be passed down (descendants just being added to the trust instead of the firearms going through the inheritance process). Thoughts?

you could, just ask LJUnaTIC has mentioned.  i do not.  i'm not that worried about it.  if you are worried about something like that, talk with your family and Dick Clark.

Offline Mali

• NFOA Full Member
  • My life, my rights.
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2018, 06:41:50 AM »
Dick Clark did a great presentation at the Annual Member's meeting regarding just this topic. There are a great deal of advantages to having your firearms in a trust and I am setting aside the budget to do just that so that I can pass on my lovelies to my family without worries about what the Will, or the State, might say.
I would highly suggest getting in touch with Mr. Clark through the forums and having a discussion with him about your options.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan

Offline Range Mom

• NFOA Board of Directors
    • Incendio Firearms Training
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2018, 08:24:44 AM »
We are bringing Dick to our well armed woman meeting in January to do the presentation for our members. I am thinking of opening the meeting up to the public rather than just us. I will post in the events section if that is what we decide to do.
Trish - NFOA Board President, Founder Incendio LLC

"The possession of arms by the people is the
ultimate warrant that government governs only
with the consent of the governed."

Offline Atrus

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2018, 05:47:35 PM »
Please do. I'd very much be interested in such a presentation. Thanks!