< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Wyoming legislature votes on new concealed carry bill  (Read 1041 times)

Offline ghknives

• Gun Show Volunteer NRA Life member
  • Powder Benefactor
Wyoming legislature votes on new concealed carry bill
« on: February 12, 2010, 10:05:02 AM »
(Wyo.)-Bill to Allow Concealed Firearms Advances in House

CHEYENNE, Wyo. (AP) - The Wyoming House of Representatives has voted to introduce a bill that would allow people to carry concealed firearms without the requirement of a state permit.

The House voted 52-6 in favor of introducing House Bill 113, sponsored by Rep. Elaine Quarberg, R-Thermopolis. It now heads to the House Judiciary Committee.

Current Wyoming law requires people to get state-issued permits before they may carry concealed firearms.

Quarberg and other supporters say they support changing the law because the federal and state constitutions guarantee citizens' right to bear arms.

Rep. James W. Byrd, D-Cheyenne, was among those who voted against the bill. He says he fears the bill would endanger peace officers in the state.

I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I only love that which they defend.        J.R.R. Tolkein

Offline Hardwood83

• Powder Benefactor
  • Molon Labe
Re: Wyoming legislature votes on new concealed carry bill
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 11:55:19 AM »
"Rep. James W. Byrd, D-Cheyenne, was among those who voted against the bill. He says he fears the bill would endanger peace officers in the state."

Does Rep Byrd really believe that some average joe is thinking "If I just didn't need a state issued permit I could shoot a cop!" Idiotic. Criminals (the only ones that are any danger to LE officers) don't worry about permits anyway.

Wyoming is looking more attractive as a new residence all the time. MUCH lower taxes, fewer people, more mountains, more freedom.....and the weather can't be any worse. Might be time to look into that.
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Offline ghknives

• Gun Show Volunteer NRA Life member
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 12:05:02 PM »
Don't forget they have some of the worlds best big game hunting (cheap to residents).
I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I only love that which they defend.        J.R.R. Tolkein

Offline DanClrk51

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 12:34:39 PM »
Wohooo for Wyoming! Keep the Alaska/Vermont trend going. I've always believed that we shouldn't need permission from the state in order to exercise a right. A concealed carry permit waters the right to bear arms down to a priviledge in practice.

Offline WallPhone

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2010, 02:15:57 PM »
Now that's one way to get reciprocity!