< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Handgun Sales In Omaha  (Read 3031 times)

Offline heartlandjon

• Forum Member
Handgun Sales In Omaha
« on: February 13, 2010, 12:40:00 PM »
It's been over 10 years since I've had to think about this, and evidently a lot has changed in those 10 years.  I've researched this, and can't find a definitive answer.

I live in Omaha, am not a dealer, and want to sell 2 handguns.  Near as I can tell, I need to document that I checked the handgun permit, check ID for state residency, and execute a bill of sale.  Do I also need to jump through the police registration hoop as a private seller?

Offline heartlandjon

• Forum Member
Re: Handgun Sales In Omaha
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 08:14:21 AM »
From the lack of response can I deduce it's a convoluted process?   I suppose the safest thing would be to sell them to a pawn shop, but I'll only get a fraction of what they're worth.

Offline Ronvandyn

• Pollywog
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 08:24:13 AM »
Give it some time guy, its the weekend and there is a holiday.  Someone who knows more about this than I will take it up.

Ron
NE-CHP Holder, USAF Veteran, NRA Member,  ENGC Member
KC0MXX

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 08:41:43 AM »
The easiest way to do it would be to create a classified ad here on the forum. (Whatcha selling?  ;D )
As far as the actual sale goes(if face-to-face), here is what is required by the state of Nebraska:
1) Buyer must be 21 to purchase a handgun
2) Buyer must have(and show) a Nebraska Firearm Purchase Permit issued to them by their county sheriff, with matching state ID card/Driver License.
3) If the buyer is not a resident of Nebraska, the handgun will need to be transferred by a FFL holder in the buyer's home state.

Many people also will write up a bill of sale to record the numbers on the above documents and the gun's serial number, but many do not.  That is a personal choice and not required by law.

If the buyer resides withing the city limits of Omaha, they would then(after the purchase) need to take the handgun to the OPD headquarters in downtown Omaha to register that handgun with the city, after paying a $10 tax fee.  
If they do not live in Omaha, there is no need to register the handgun.

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask!   :)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 08:47:12 AM by FarmerRick »
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline marksz71

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 08:52:48 AM »
Spot on Farmer...I would recommend a bill of sale with serial number as a minimum though.  Mark

Offline heartlandjon

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 09:39:39 AM »
Excellent, thanks!

I have a Taurus 38 snub, mid-nineties, stainless, wood grips.  Maybe a box shot through it at most.  A few purse scratches (the wife carried it for several years) but minor, and in great shape.

Then, a Ruger heavy barrel Mark II target .22 pistol.  I'll regret selling this one, it's a shooter (but do you ever sell a gun you don't regret selling?)

I'll check out the classifieds, I didn't know they were there.  Thanks guys.

Offline wrenrj1

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2010, 07:40:14 PM »
The easiest way to do it would be to create a classified ad here on the forum. (Whatcha selling?  ;D )
As far as the actual sale goes(if face-to-face), here is what is required by the state of Nebraska:
1) Buyer must be 21 to purchase a handgun
2) Buyer must have(and show) a Nebraska Firearm Purchase Permit issued to them by their county sheriff, with matching state ID card/Driver License.
3) If the buyer is not a resident of Nebraska, the handgun will need to be transferred by a FFL holder in the buyer's home state.

Many people also will write up a bill of sale to record the numbers on the above documents and the gun's serial number, but many do not.  That is a personal choice and not required by law.

If the buyer resides withing the city limits of Omaha, they would then(after the purchase) need to take the handgun to the OPD headquarters in downtown Omaha to register that handgun with the city, after paying a $10 tax fee. 
If they do not live in Omaha, there is no need to register the handgun.

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask!   :)

FarmerRick, are you sure that a handgun purchase permit is required for a private sale?  Just asking.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2010, 08:10:01 PM »
http://nebraskalegislature.gov/laws/statutes.php?statute=69-2403

69-2403. Sale, lease, rental, and transfer; certificate required; exceptions.
Except as provided in section 69-2409, a person shall not purchase, lease, rent, or receive transfer of a handgun until he or she has obtained a certificate in accordance with section 69-2404. Except as provided in section 69-2409, a person shall not sell, lease, rent, or transfer a handgun to a person who has not obtained a certificate. The certificate shall not be required if:

(1) The person acquiring the handgun is a licensed firearms dealer under federal law;

(2) The handgun is an antique handgun;

(3) The person acquiring the handgun is authorized to do so on behalf of a law enforcement agency;

(4) The transfer is a temporary transfer of a handgun and the transferee remains (a) in the line of sight of the transferor or (b) within the premises of an established shooting facility; or

(5) The transfer is between a person and his or her spouse, sibling, parent, child, aunt, uncle, niece, nephew, or grandparent.

Hopefully to be soon modified by LB817    ;)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 08:11:30 PM by FarmerRick »
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline tut

• Forum Member
    • Tuts words
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2010, 11:52:33 AM »
Maybe off topic, please forgive...

I have yet to buy a hand gun in the unfree city of Omaha.  Although I live in the city, I purchase in Sarpy county, like many others no doubt.  The handguns I carry, of course, I did register...  :angel1:  I cringe when I'm at Guns Unlimited and one of the sales guys are telling someone to "take this purchase slip to Omaha police hdqrtrs and get it registered, come back and pick up the gun, it's that simple".  Pisses me off.  I directed two people, on one occasion, to either the Bullet Hole to see Wess or to Cabela's, or at least buy one out there and NOT register it - for obvious reasons. 

Anybody know, btw, when LB 817 takes effect and all this is no longer an issue?
Imagine how gun control might be stomped if either of the NON-COMPROMISING lobbying groups, the Second Amendment Foundation or Gun Owners of America, had the NRA's 4 million members!

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2010, 11:58:41 AM »
July 14 is effective date, but I expect the dealers will not be prepared to deal with it.
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline tut

• Forum Member
    • Tuts words
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2010, 01:53:49 PM »
Thanx Dan. 

BTW, I appreciate the work you do here at the forum, Dan, and in answering questions to boot!  Not that I'm anyone who's opinion might matter to most, but I thought I'd just say thank you just the same.
Imagine how gun control might be stomped if either of the NON-COMPROMISING lobbying groups, the Second Amendment Foundation or Gun Owners of America, had the NRA's 4 million members!