< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Oklahoma signs anti 'red flag' bill into law  (Read 627 times)

Offline Jito463

• Site Administrator
Oklahoma signs anti 'red flag' bill into law
« on: May 18, 2020, 07:50:15 AM »
https://oklahoman.com/article/5662586/stitt-signs-anti-red-flag-law-that-may-be-first-in-the-nation

Gov. Kevin Stitt over the weekend signed legislation to preempt Oklahoma localities from implementing so-called “red flag” policies.
Senate Bill 1081 prevents Oklahoma cities and towns from enacting policies that would allow a court or other entity to restrict gun access to people deemed to be an imminent danger.
Not only did Oklahoma not go the "red flag" route, they went a step further and ensured it could not happen there.
But both Dahm and Steagall said they were concerned about the possibility of the federal government enacting such a law or offering grants to states or localities to implement "red flag" policies.
"Red flag" laws violate the Second Amendment and the right to due process, Steagall said Friday.

“I find it impossible for any red-flag law to respect due process or the presumption of innocence until proven guilty,” he said. “I have taken the oath to protect our Constitution seven times throughout my 22 years of service and nine deployments in the military, an oath that I take very seriously. I will not stand idly by and let this freedom be stripped from us.”

I think for the 2021 session, we need to take a long look at their bill and see if we can get something like that passed here.

Offline Jito463

• Site Administrator
Re: Oklahoma signs anti 'red flag' bill into law
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2020, 01:28:23 PM »
Update: The governor has NOT signed the bill, yet.

Offline Jito463

• Site Administrator
Re: Oklahoma signs anti 'red flag' bill into law
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2020, 07:19:40 PM »
And one more update, the governor has finally signed the bill into law.  "Red flag" laws are now illegal in Oklahoma.