< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Saying adieu to Windstream  (Read 2373 times)

Offline Jito463

• Site Administrator
Saying adieu to Windstream
« on: December 16, 2018, 06:38:07 PM »
And not fondly, either.  I've had Windstream's DSL service since moving to Nebraska almost 12 years ago.  Even when I know I've been overpaying these last few years, I've still stuck with it because it did what I wanted and was dependable.  For the past 6+ years (maybe longer) I've used my own modem, and it's never been an issue.  Even if there's a connection problem, I just explain that I'm using my own modem and need them to reset my connection.

That all changed after I talked them into giving me a discount, because of Allo being in my area.  I was paying $80/mo for 12Mbit service with metered phone(outgoing calls are $0.10/min) and no TV, I finally got them to "drop" it to $65/mo (that's including taxes and fees, $45/mo without).

The last few months now, there's been several instances where I have not been able to get an IP, even though I'm still getting a signal from Windstream.  And they seem to be getting more and more hostile towards customer owned modems, at least with me.  Whenever I tell them I'm using my own modem, they immediately go "oh", and the demeanor in the sound of their voice changes.  On one occasion, I even had a rep tell me that she couldn't assist me because I didn't have a Windstream modem.  I'm not asking them to support the modem, just to do their job and provide me with the service that I'm (over) paying for.  I told her to switch me to another tech, so she sticks me back in the queue and then the next tech was finally able to help.

Then came this last billing period, where after I negotiated a $15/mo reduction in my still overpriced service, they raised my rates by $3/mo without informing me.  Of course, I call up their customer service department, and I'm told that there's nothing they can do because it's a company wide increase.  They're more than willing to sell me a higher priced tier, however.  ::)

And finally, the last straw broke today.  I come home from church and once again I have no IP.  So I once again call Windstream support and explain to them that I'm using their service and have my own modem.  At this point, the lady again tries to give me the runaround, and actually has the audacity to tell me I need to call the manufacturer of my modem.  My response?  No.  Simply 'No'.  There's zero reason to call the modem manufacturer, because the issue is not with the configuration or the settings in my modem.  I then tried to explain that the settings on my modem are fine and there's nothing TP-Link can do for me, she deflects that there's nothing she can do because they don't support third party modems.

At this stage, I'm getting quite exasperated, so I ask to speak to a supervisor.  First, I'm told her supervisor is busy.  I told her I'd wait, and then she says they have no supervisors on duty today.  So, first her supervisor is busy, then there's none there.  Riiiight.  At this point, I'm fed up and demand to speak to a supervisor, so lo and behold she manages to find one that's actually on duty (after telling me none were).  So, her supervisor tries to give me the same runaround about 3rd party modems, and again I keep pressing that there's no reason my modem would suddenly be incompatible after using one for years.  I mean, I would accept that something could be wrong with my modem, but that's not what they were insinuating.  They were insinuating (without actually saying it) that my modem just wasn't compatible with their service.  She even tried to tell me that the rep simply hadn't been allowed to get far enough in the diagnostics before I demanded speaking to a supervisor, all of which is a bald-faced lie.  The rep was trying to pass me off to someone else, not diagnose the problem.

So, after refusing to accept that as an answer, she finally acquiesces and agrees to push it up the line to their internal testing department, and it will take up to 48 hours for them to resolve it, which I begrudgingly accepted.  Here's where it gets funny.  Not an hour later, I get an automated phone call that my support ticket has been closed and I should reboot my modem.  Lo and behold, they fixed the problem that was supposedly caused by my modem.  Surprise, surprise, surprise.

Sorry for the wall of rant, but I just really wanted to get that off my chest.  I like Windstream's service, but their support is absolutely awful.  Couple that with the fact that they're gouging me for the service I'm getting, and it's time to part ways.  I found a deal on Spectrum's site for $29.99/mo to get 400Mbit, locked in for 36 months.  Half the price for over 33x the speed I'm currently getting.  Already got a modem on the way and I hope to have it switched within a week or two.  Not a big fan of Spectrum, but I have to get landlord's approval before I can switch to Allo (due to drilling holes in the walls), so this is the easiest way to get something better.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
Re: Saying adieu to Windstream
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2018, 06:53:11 PM »
JITO463:

I'm guessin' that your frustration with your DSL service has resonated with all who have beheld it here.

And I'm in Deepest Harmony with all that you have written.

Now......the only glitch that I can see in your act of shaking the dust of Windstream from your sandals is this:

THE NEXT OUTFIT WILL MOST LIKELY BE NOT A DAMN BIT BETTER.

Wish it were not so.

Not to mention that last time I switched, both my service and billing were skrooooed up for months.

sfgVery Unhappy CenturyLink Subscriber
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline Jito463

• Site Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2018, 10:31:59 PM »
Now......the only glitch that I can see in your act of shaking the dust of Windstream from your sandals is this:

THE NEXT OUTFIT WILL MOST LIKELY BE NOT A BIT BETTER.

Wish it were not so.

Oh, I'm not expecting Spectrum to be any better in the support department.  In fact, I'd rather switch to Allo, but Spectrum will suit my needs for the time being (and is simpler to deal with, given my landlord situation).  I'm banking on their claim of a fixed rate for 36 months to actually be true, and I'm going to screenshot it to keep a record as proof, just in case.  As for support, I rarely have to deal with support (since I can fix many issues myself), it's just the ones on their end that require calling up the 'helldesk'.

Not to mention that last time I switched, both my service and billing were skrooooed up for months.

I don't foresee any issue there, since I'm not under contract with Windstream.  I can cut the cord at any time.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2018, 05:41:07 AM »
Windstream appears to be getting smaller and smaller in your rear view mirror.

:P
sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2018, 07:22:44 AM »
how old is your router/modem?  i have Cable One and i had to get a modem that met certain requirements.  the same with Time Warner, pre-Spectrum.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline Jito463

• Site Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2018, 07:39:46 AM »
how old is your router/modem?  i have Cable One and i had to get a modem that met certain requirements.  the same with Time Warner, pre-Spectrum.

My DSL modem is only 1-2 years old, but is an older model.  However, it's sufficient for Windstream since I never went beyond their 12Mbit package (anything above that requires a bonded DSL connection).  The one for Spectrum I just ordered brand new, and is on their compatibility list for the service I'm ordering.  As for my router, it's plenty capable of handling the new service.

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2018, 08:30:29 AM »
My DSL modem is only 1-2 years old, but is an older model.  However, it's sufficient for Windstream since I never went beyond their 12Mbit package (anything above that requires a bonded DSL connection).  The one for Spectrum I just ordered brand new, and is on their compatibility list for the service I'm ordering.  As for my router, it's plenty capable of handling the new service.

ok, cool.

i've heard people love their Allo service, however their install subcontractors are idiots.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline ILoveCats

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2018, 08:48:00 AM »
Geez we’ve got Windstream Kinetic and getting upper 30s (Mbps), running three TV boxes and tons of WiFi devices, plus “free” landline phone for under $100 before taxes, and no contract ever.

Never had a problem.  About once every 2-3 weeks if we get a bit of TV pixelation I reboot the modem and TV boxes and that fixes it in under 2 minutes.

Nowadays with the increasing competition, nobody should be forcing consumers into a “contract”.
"Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder." ~ FCK

Offline hilowe

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2018, 09:43:12 AM »
never dealt with either company you're dealing with (windstream or spectrum), but had almost the exact same experience with Qwest back in the day (before they sold to centurylink).

Had issues with connection on my modem that I bought, plus the once a month phone call to fix a billing issue (they always overbilled me.  I eventually got 4 months free over it because of the repeated phone calls).

So, yeah, like you're expecting.  Helpdesk probably won't be any better.  Just enjoy the lower price and higher speed, and hopefully they don't screw up the bill.

Offline Les

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2018, 10:02:47 AM »
Some of us in rural areas have no choice but to have windstream, no other option besides satellite, I've been a customer for years.  I'm currently only getting 3meg that I am lucky to get (15k ft from the switch will do that, lol)  Anytime I've had issues, and there have been many, the techs that come out give me a new router.  They tell me if it wasn't for us in the country they wouldn't have jobs.  Allo is pretty good at least in the Lincoln area from folks I know and that spectrum has abysmal CS.  YMMV

Offline Mali

• NFOA Full Member
  • My life, my rights.
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2018, 04:18:20 PM »
I work for a MSP (Managed Services Provider) which means we are the IT department for our client customers. I spend a lot of time talking to the support desk for all the various ISPs our customers have and have to say that your experience is not unlike what we get when calling them.
I will tell you that when it comes to the Lincoln area we we do not like talking to Spectrum (lately they have been missing scheduled service calls and then saying they will reschedule for 3 days later) but they have been having a lot of outages in their area recently.
Allo is fairly new, but we have not had a lot of calls to have them work on something. When we do they seem to be very responsive.
Windstream is always a struggle to get them to look at something and will eventually they will do what we ask and learn that we were right.
CenturyLink is OK, but sometimes their support team struggles to get things fixed.
Basically, none of the companies do well in the tech support area but Allo seems to do the best for service provided.

Good luck with the new vendor and I am sure it can only get better.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2018, 04:24:46 PM »
...none of the companies do well in the tech support area .....

Likewise, none of my companies ever seem to be set up for either customer service or tech support.

However, they are SuperPerformers at billing and collections.

Especially the overbilling-with-nary-a-refund-in-your-lifetime.   Nor any allowances for outages of any kind.

sfg
« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 02:07:58 PM by SemperFiGuy »

Offline StuartJ

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2019, 09:19:57 AM »
The problem is never on their end. According to them.  They're answer is always "reboot the modem" as if you hadn't done that multiple times before you called. If that fixed the problem wouldn't need to call them.  The problem is always at their end and they never want to acknowledge it.

"I ask, who are the militia? They consist now of the whole people, except a few public officers.”
-- George Mason

Offline Jito463

• Site Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2019, 08:39:39 PM »
After arguing repeatedly with Spectrum that they don't need to come inside (they just need to hook up the lines in the box outside), they finally acquiesced after I gave the impression I'd sooner abandon switching to them than deal with their nonsense any more.  All of sudden, the customer service rep realized that he could assign a tech to simply hook up the cable, without needing to come inside.  Well, golly gee.

Needless to say, I'm not impressed from the start with Spectrum's CS, but at least it's working now.  Clocking 485 Mbits down and 23.06 Mbits up, as opposed to my old Windstream connection of 12 Mbits down and ~640 Kbits up (yes, not even 1 Mbit).  Gonna wait a few days to make sure it's stable, then I'm cutting ties with Windstream once and for all.

Offline Mali

• NFOA Full Member
  • My life, my rights.
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2019, 06:40:47 PM »
Like I said, none of them are that great in the customer service department.  ;)

Glad you finally have better service.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan