< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Bump Stock Ban  (Read 5904 times)

Offline eelstrebor1

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Bump Stock Ban
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2019, 05:14:30 PM »
Kinda weird that this impacts only 1 bump stock owner. https://bearingarms.com/tom-k/2019/03/25/utah-man-will-get-keep-bump-stock-now/
"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms." - Thomas Jefferson

Member SAF, GOA, NFOA, USCCA

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2019, 07:40:11 PM »
The DC Appellate Court ruled about 2 hours ago that the "stay" will ONLY apply to the original Complaintants.  So there you go .... destroy'em if you got'em.

Offline Jito463

• Site Administrator
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2019, 08:05:22 PM »
So there you go .... destroy'em if you got'em.
Or, keep them locked up and hidden away in the hopes that the government realizes its inanity (though I wouldn't hold your breath).

Offline eelstrebor1

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2019, 10:12:42 AM »
Looks like we'll have to practice bump firing with our belt loop. That'll probably get us reported also. Stupid laws that don't solve anything.
"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline eelstrebor1

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2019, 12:27:19 PM »
I agree with the last 2 paragraphs of this article: https://bearingarms.com/tom-k/2019/03/27/scotus-rejects-bid-block-bump-stock-ban/

Even if the ban is overturned there isn't going to be many people that will run out a spend hundreds of dollars for another one after just losing hundreds of dollars - maybe lost a lot more if they bought more than 1.

Definitely can't trust liberals or RINO's. Sad that we have politicians that claim that they're pro-2A when they're not. Even Reagan infringed.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 12:30:19 PM by eelstrebor1 »

Offline Jito463

• Site Administrator
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2019, 07:36:52 PM »
Stupid laws that don't solve anything.
I would argue there isn't a single "gun law" that solves one iota.

Offline eelstrebor1

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2019, 09:52:30 AM »
The DC Appellate Court ruled about 2 hours ago that the "stay" will ONLY apply to the original Complaintants.  So there you go .... destroy'em if you got'em.

Done. I wasn't happy about destroying mine but I'd rather destroy a $200 item than risk prison time over this nonsense ATF rewriting of the law. I had considered keeping it because it's unlikely the ATF would've found out that I had one and because it's possible that the rewrite of the regulation could still be overturned. If everyone complied with the current ATF regulation then why bother pursuing overturning the regulation? No one's going to go out a buy another one if the regulation is overturned. Oh well, what other infringements is the government going to do? And why didn't the NRA aggressively challenge this regulation? Since the NRA didn't challenge this and the Hughes Amendment I have to assume that the NRA isn't the civil liberties defender that they claim to be. And the NRA seems to be OK with red flag laws. The NRA seems to be OK with certain infringements.

Offline eelstrebor1

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2019, 12:34:19 PM »
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/sup...un-bump-stocks

"The NRA believes that devices designed to allow semi-automatic rifles to function like fully-automatic rifles should be subject to additional regulations,"

I don't know why everyone (almost), including the NRA, continues to make a distinction between "weapons of war" and semi-autos instead of coming out and saying that the 2A doesn't distinguish between any firearm. We have too many emotional responses to firearms and not enough knowledge and patriotism to prevent infringement on the 2A. It should be pointed out that this article states that there were 12 rifles equipped with bump stocks but no statement that any were used in the attack. And so what if he had bump stocks? This murderer was rich enough to have bought pre-1986 machine guns if bump stocks didn't exist anyway! I guess I'm beating a dead horse.

Offline Mntnman

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2019, 06:45:14 PM »
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/sup...un-bump-stocks

"The NRA believes that devices designed to allow semi-automatic rifles to function like fully-automatic rifles should be subject to additional regulations,"

The NRA has been harassing me to renew for a couple of months. I have finally decided that I am not going to bother. Besides their willingness to accept certain infringements, all they seem interested in is selling me wine and insurance. I'm sure they are the source of the constant political spam that finds its way to my inbox as well. There are other pro 2a folks more worthy of your money, IMHO.

Offline eelstrebor1

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2019, 10:31:43 AM »
https://bearingarms.com/tom-k/2019/04/08/supreme-court-rejects-bump-stock-bid/

SCOTUS still refuses to issue a stay even though there are still challenges making their way through the court system. Not much hope for an overturn but it's still possible. I somewhat care about following this process because it sets a precedent for any existing or future rate increasing devices even though, like bumpstocks, they don't meet the original/true definition of a machine gun. All it takes is just ONE person and it ruins things for rest of us. I don't know about you guys/gals but I'm tired of so few people causing our rights to be eroded because politicians cave to public emotions rather than following the Constitution. And then we have to challenge these infringements in court which takes money and probably years just to get a court hearing. If I was a one-issue voter I wouldn't vote for anyone that infringes on the 2A.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 04:57:35 PM by eelstrebor1 »

Offline Mali

• NFOA Full Member
  • My life, my rights.
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2019, 04:58:03 PM »
The NRA has been harassing me to renew for a couple of months. I have finally decided that I am not going to bother. Besides their willingness to accept certain infringements, all they seem interested in is selling me wine and insurance. I'm sure they are the source of the constant political spam that finds its way to my inbox as well. There are other pro 2a folks more worthy of your money, IMHO.
They called me to offer renewal and were VERY determined to get my money even though I was quite clear that I was HIGHLY disappointed in how they represent firearms owners in my state. The telemarketer really didn't care and really wasn't getting that I wasn't going to give them that much money for them to spend elsewhere.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan

Offline Jito463

• Site Administrator
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2019, 08:28:13 PM »
They called me to offer renewal and were VERY determined to get my money even though I was quite clear that I was HIGHLY disappointed in how they represent firearms owners in my state. The telemarketer really didn't care and really wasn't getting that I wasn't going to give them that much money for them to spend elsewhere.
I just got a call asking me for a donation.  I told them until the NRA stops supporting things like the bump stock ban and red flag laws, I wasn't going to send them any money.  Then I just hung up.  Never give a telemarketer a chance to respond, they are trained and conditioned to provide a "rebuttal" to every no.  I know, I wasted 5 months working for one back in the 90's.  Probably my least favorite job ever.

Offline eelstrebor1

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2019, 09:59:06 PM »
I just got a call asking me for a donation.  I told them until the NRA stops supporting things like the bump stock ban and red flag laws, I wasn't going to send them any money.  Then I just hung up.  Never give a telemarketer a chance to respond, they are trained and conditioned to provide a "rebuttal" to every no.  I know, I wasted 5 months working for one back in the 90's.  Probably my least favorite job ever.

I got an e-mail reply from NRA-ILA stating that they are opposed to all red flag laws but if legislators move forward with them that the NRA is expecting that they include stiff penalties for false accusations. I never did get a response to my complaint about the then proposed bump stock ban from the NRA.

Offline m morton

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2020, 11:42:02 AM »
https://gatdaily.com/bump-stocks-back/

On September 4th the United States Court of Appeals, 10th Circuit, reopened the Bump Stock ban. More specifically they reopened whether or not the ATF, Attorney General, and DoJ could just declare that bump stocks were machine guns.

https://www.ca10.uscourts.gov/opinions/19/19-4036.pdf
I will allow myself one personal observation. If you want to disarm yourself, that is your choice. The following quote is a favorite of mine and something to keep in mind when you make that choice.

“Sheep don’t tell wolves what’s for dinner.”