< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Bump Stock Ban  (Read 5844 times)

Offline Range Mom

• NFOA Board of Directors
    • Incendio Firearms Training
Bump Stock Ban
« on: December 18, 2018, 01:17:42 PM »
The Justice Department has amended the regulations of the ATF to designate bump-stock-type devices as "machine guns".

New rule will be published this week and will take effect 90 days afterwards. Individuals will have 90 days to either turn them in to authorities or destroy them.

https://www.apnews.com/6c1af80fb290472c89fb930e223505af
Trish - NFOA Board President, Founder Incendio LLC

"The possession of arms by the people is the
ultimate warrant that government governs only
with the consent of the governed."

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
Re: Bump Stock Ban
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2018, 02:43:31 PM »
hold on now... before you dump your bump stocks.... there will be lawsuits.  just wait.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline eelstrebor1

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2018, 03:49:35 PM »
It's a wasted attempt at trying to prevent bump fire. This is purely a political move since few people realize that it doesn't promote safety. But, too many stupid/uninformed people around to realize that.
"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms." - Thomas Jefferson

Member SAF, GOA, NFOA, USCCA

Offline LJUnaTIC

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
  • On the Fringe
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2018, 05:25:33 PM »
The danger in this is the precedent set. The ATF should not be allowed to rewrite the law defining machine guns to include a trigger technique that still requires the trigger to be pulled once per shot, which does not meet the stautory definition of a machine gun.

If the rule stands, there is nothing to prevent future abuse to include semi auto fire in the same manner using a rule change.

I strongly support efforts to over turn this ruling in the courts and am donating to GOA and SAF today.
"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! - I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2018, 07:00:32 PM »
From what I have read/seen. The GOA, FICG, Adam Kraut and arfcom's Nolo have or will file lawsuits.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline eelstrebor1

• NFOA Full Member
"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Mali

• NFOA Full Member
  • My life, my rights.
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2018, 03:18:24 PM »
Although I don't see the value in the devices, I agree that this seems to be a rather big attempt to give the Anti-2A something so they will give somewhere. Only problem is they don't want to give anywhere and it is all or nothing with them.

This is a bad idea and I am really hoping this goes all the way to the top. Hopefully the Supreme Court will be able to settle this... again.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan

Offline eelstrebor1

• NFOA Full Member

Offline Jito463

• Site Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2018, 07:27:19 PM »

Offline LJUnaTIC

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
  • On the Fringe
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2018, 06:02:13 PM »
Copy of complaint filed by Nolocontendere of AR15.com in lawsuit against ATF and DOJ

https://www.scribd.com/document/396418931/Filed-Bumpstock-Complaint-Redacted

If you don't know, Nolocontendere is a top notch attorney and AR15.com member who is waging a very successful campaign to roll back infringement of the 2nd Amendment  and is funded directly by donations  and fund raisers held by LaRue Tactical.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/Nolo-David-Codrea-s-Bump-stock-case-has-been-filed/5-2179175/
"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! - I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry

Offline eelstrebor1

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2018, 06:27:20 PM »
https://townhall.com/tipsheet/bethbaumann/2018/12/29/whoa-gun-grabber-dianne-feinstein-admits-theres-issues-with-the-bump-stock-ban-n2538231

I have some issues with this article. But, as long as the Senate honors their Constitutional oath, legislation is a long way off. So, don't destroy your bump stock yet. They should repeal the Hughes Amendment, also, but I'm not going to hold my breath on that one.

Offline eelstrebor1

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2019, 11:16:51 AM »
I've renewed my GOA membership and gave a small donation. I haven't seen anything that would indicate that the NRA has thrown its weight behind it. Is the NFOA planning on financial support for the GOA in this endeavor? But I did read an article that indicated that the NRA's strategy  was to squash proposed legislation so that it would get regulatory action which the article claimed that it would be easier to challenge the regulatory action. If so, if the regulatory action is defeated, the ball would probably, and quite likely, end up back in Congress for legislative action - most likely in the House. This issue could drag on for a few years. But, who knows?

Offline Range Mom

• NFOA Board of Directors
    • Incendio Firearms Training
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2019, 01:14:27 PM »
I've renewed my GOA membership and gave a small donation. I haven't seen anything that would indicate that the NRA has thrown its weight behind it. Is the NFOA planning on financial support for the GOA in this endeavor? But I did read an article that indicated that the NRA's strategy  was to squash proposed legislation so that it would get regulatory action which the article claimed that it would be easier to challenge the regulatory action. If so, if the regulatory action is defeated, the ball would probably, and quite likely, end up back in Congress for legislative action - most likely in the House. This issue could drag on for a few years. But, who knows?

Good question. I will add it to our agenda for the next Board Meeting. An important note to add, supporting GOA's efforts would be something pursued only with the support/direction of membership
Trish - NFOA Board President, Founder Incendio LLC

"The possession of arms by the people is the
ultimate warrant that government governs only
with the consent of the governed."

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2019, 03:47:07 PM »
Good question. I will add it to our agenda for the next Board Meeting. An important note to add, supporting GOA's efforts would be something pursued only with the support/direction of membership

I'd be all for supporting any organization that's actively opposing gun control.  Unfortunately, and as a life member it pains me to say this, that doesn't include the NRA anymore. 

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2019, 05:48:50 PM »
My 2 cents, while I like the idea of supporting the GOA’s efforts and encourage everyone to individually do so I do not think the NFOA should as an organization be financially involved. The NFOA is an affiliate of the Citizens Committee to Keep and Bear Arms, which we provide no financial support to. Also the SAF has partnered with the NFOA and completely financially backed cases with us, with the NFOA not covering any of those costs (but encouraging member support for both of these organizations).

Offline m morton

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2019, 10:25:15 AM »
U.S. 10th Circuit has Halted the Bump Stock Ban

https://gatdaily.com/u-s-10th-circuit-has-halted-the-bump-stock-ban/
I will allow myself one personal observation. If you want to disarm yourself, that is your choice. The following quote is a favorite of mine and something to keep in mind when you make that choice.

“Sheep don’t tell wolves what’s for dinner.”

Offline eelstrebor1

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2019, 11:13:43 AM »
U.S. 10th Circuit has Halted the Bump Stock Ban

It delays having to destroy them for a few more days but let's hope that the ban gets overturned. What really needs to get overturned is the NFA along with the GCA and the Hughes Amendment as well as useless laws like GFSZA and other GFZ laws. Way too many laws regulating guns.

Offline LJUnaTIC

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
  • On the Fringe
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2019, 11:26:37 AM »
Stay only applies to the one person in the case.

Offline eelstrebor1

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2019, 12:48:39 PM »
I'm no legal expert but I would imagine that bump stocks aren't illegal while there are still lawsuits pending. So, I wouldn't think that anyone has to destroy their bump stock until all court challenges have been exhausted. Of course, I could be wrong. But if the ban is overturned then a lot of owners are going to be angry that they destroyed something that cost them a substantial amount of money. Whatever happens, we need to keep pushing back against laws that punish the law abiding over the actions of so few.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 12:51:05 PM by eelstrebor1 »

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2019, 09:17:44 AM »
As of now ... ONLY the petitioner has the "stay" applied.  This was filed yesterday on behalf of those not covered.  Obviously would need to be heard today by 23:59 to take effect.  Make sure to read his link to their appeal.  .Gov has NOT agreed to a blanket "stay" as you will note in reading.

https://waronguns.blogspot.com/2019/03/request-to-modify-bump-stock-stay-filed.html?fbclid=IwAR0h2Fw1tcSH2uJ8WeZmUYrHIoTx3Lf_NkJfvIZxkZGvkFPAId3bVUzLass