< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Democrats want to end EC  (Read 1549 times)

Offline Jito463

• Site Administrator
Democrats want to end EC
« on: January 04, 2019, 09:51:08 AM »
https://www.dailywire.com/news/39931/breaking-democrats-introduce-bill-eliminate-ryan-saavedra

So, the new Congress is in session, and they're already trying to tear down our Constitutional protections.  A bill has been introduced to end the Electoral College, and have Presidents elected by popular vote.

Rep. Steve Cohen (D-TN) introduced two bills on Thursday, one to eliminate the electoral college and the other to prohibit presidents from pardoning themselves or their family members.

A press release from Cohen's office stated that the "senior member of the House Judiciary Committee, introduced two Constitutional Amendments today on the opening day of the new Congress. The first would eliminate the Electoral College and provide for the direct election of the President and Vice President of the United States. The second would limit the presidential pardon power by prohibiting presidents from pardoning themselves, members of their families, members of their administrations and their campaign staff."

And here's something completely unexpected (/sarc), the bill was introduced because Hillary lost.  Yes, they actually said that.

"In two presidential elections since 2000, including the most recent one in which Hillary Clinton won 2.8 million more votes than her opponent, the winner of the popular vote did not win the election because of the distorting effect of the outdated Electoral College," Cohen said. "Americans expect and deserve the winner of the popular vote to win office. More than a century ago, we amended our Constitution to provide for the direct election of U.S. Senators. It is past time to directly elect our President and Vice President.”

The sad part, I actually have a coworker that thinks the EC is "broken" because it gives equal power to less populous states.  Personally, I firmly believe we need to get rid of directly electing senators.  It's the primary reason the power of the states has diminished compared to the federal government.

While I don't see this bill going anywhere presently, it's worth noting the direction the Dems want to take this country.

Offline eelstrebor1

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Democrats want to end EC
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2019, 10:53:38 AM »
I doubt any of this will get past the Senate. If it does get through the Senate, Trump will probably veto it. But, you never know for sure until things happen. Republicans need to stand their ground but they often cave. I don't even know why I bother voting anymore.
"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms." - Thomas Jefferson

Member SAF, GOA, NFOA, USCCA

Offline LJUnaTIC

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
  • On the Fringe
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2019, 12:00:38 PM »
I doubt any of this will get past the Senate. If it does get through the Senate, Trump will probably veto it. But, you never know for sure until things happen. Republicans need to stand their ground but they often cave. I don't even know why I bother voting anymore.

Think we would be better off right now with a Dem majority in the Senate and Hillary Clinton in power , not to mention 2 more leftists on the Supreme court?

To quote you again " Republicans need to stand their ground but they often cave."
"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! - I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry

Offline Kendahl

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2019, 04:56:28 PM »
I doubt any of this will get past the Senate. If it does get through the Senate, Trump will probably veto it.
These are proposed amendments to the Constitution. The President isn't involved at all.

Congress can propose an amendment by a two thirds vote in both the House and the Senate. Another way is for two thirds of the states to call for a constitutional convention but this has never been used. (I hope it never happens because it would open Pandora's box.) A proposed amendment must be ratified by at least three quarters of the states. With a total of fifty, it takes only thirteen to block an amendment indefinitely. The process is demanding because you don't want to alter the basic law of the land without nation wide approval. Even so, it's not foolproof. The 18th and 21st amendments, which enacted prohibition and then repealed it only sixteen years later, are an example.

Offline Les

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2019, 06:32:50 PM »
Think we would be better off right now with a Dem majority in the Senate and Hillary Clinton in power , not to mention 2 more leftists on the Supreme court?

To quote you again " Republicans need to stand their ground but they often cave."

They do...and have.

Offline shooter

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2019, 08:18:58 PM »
I read one of the dems is introducing a bill to end  personal sales.    one citizen to another!    its nice to dream in technocolor!
Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker
Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis
 NRA Endowment member
  Shoot  them in the crotch.  Clint Smith, thunder ranch.  Oct 14, 2016

Offline StuartJ

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2019, 08:41:38 AM »
People don't understand its President of the United STATES.  Its the states that elect the president not individual voters.  The Senate was also supposed to  represent the states.
"I ask, who are the militia? They consist now of the whole people, except a few public officers.”
-- George Mason

Offline BranchMillardian

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2019, 03:04:59 PM »
Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch. Freedom comes from the recognition of certain rights which may not be taken, not even by a 99% vote. Those rights are spelled out in the Bill of Rights and in our California Constitution. Voters and politicians alike would do well to take a look at the rights we each hold, which must never be chipped away by the whim of the majority.

- MARVIN SIMKIN, L.A. Times, 1992   http://articles.latimes.com/1992-01-12/local/me-358_1_jail-tax-individual-rights-san-diego

---
"Omnia mala exempla ex rebus bonis orta sunt" (All bad precedents have originated out of justifiable measures) - Julius Caesar

Offline Mali

• NFOA Full Member
  • My life, my rights.
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2019, 06:52:45 PM »
I was once one of those who believed that we should eliminate the Electoral College because I felt that it was not representing the will of the people. Then I saw how it really works and realized that the Electoral College was a brilliant idea dreamed up by the founders. It keeps the country from being run by the coasts. I honestly wouldn't mind seeing something like that in the state since everything is run by Lincoln and Omaha currently.
Basically the Electoral College comes down to making sure that every person's vote counts instead of saying every person who lives in a populous area has a vote.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan