< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Calling Coyotes  (Read 6423 times)

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
Re: Calling Coyotes
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2020, 08:19:17 AM »
Or maybe the neighborhood cats.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline Mark B

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2020, 08:27:49 AM »
Using NV and a Foxpro here with good success. Partner lives near the river and has caught 3 cats. 2 are just OK but the 3rd a 21# female has great spots, best cat I've seen in a few years. Petska isn't paying too well this year and another guy is a crook. What are coyotes bringing in you guys areas?

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2020, 09:03:23 AM »
I can't speak to coyote pelt prices, because I haven't busted any so far this winter season.

But hear me out for a minute here:

As a kid my dad and I and others tramped all over the river bottoms in the pitch black dark trying to catch up with the hounds while hunting raccoons.  Cold, muddy, tree limbs slapping your face, dim carbide lamps, stumbling, etc., etc.  Hard work for little return.  Especially when the coon treed up in a huge cottonwood and wouldn't look at the spotlight.  That's the hard way.  Hunt all night for one or two coons.  Or most often, nothing but the chase.

As a grownup I learned to just get a Critter Call and a .22Mag and sit on an open river bank or sandbar, toot the Critter Call.  Then when the raccoon (or whatever) shows up, turn on the light and pop the critter.  Then just walk over and pick him up, move to another spot.

Now...I'm wondering:  Are you getting any other critters to respond to your calls beside the bobkitties...........?  Coyotes..?  Coons..?  Possums..?  Feral dogs or cats..?  Yetis...??  Seems with the FoxPro, just about anything would respond.

sfg
« Last Edit: December 22, 2020, 10:28:54 AM by SemperFiGuy »
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2020, 10:32:06 AM »
Using NV and a Foxpro here with good success. Partner lives near the river and has caught 3 cats. 2 are just OK but the 3rd a 21# female has great spots, best cat I've seen in a few years. Petska isn't paying too well this year and another guy is a crook. What are coyotes bringing in you guys areas?

what NV do you use?
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2020, 10:34:53 AM »
ive been out a few times.  I only use NV and thermal, so i mainly hunt at night.  i can get all sorts of things to come to my calls, usually coyotes, owls and the occasional skunk.  Raccoon calling is super fun too.

i went hog hunting last weekend.  saw numerous coyotes that we drove past because we didn't want to scare the hogs.  we tried hog calling, it didn't work.  but driving under NV and thermal scanning did work, really well in fact.  i'm upgrading my thermal capabilities now.  watch out animals, you won't be able to hide.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline Mark B

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2020, 11:22:10 AM »
Currently using a Pulsar Trail XP50. When we call it's a mix of coons, possum and a lot of owls but we only shoot coyotes. Partner is the cat trapper. He uses box traps because he normally lets the females go, unless they are really good looking.

Offline greg58

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2020, 09:06:00 AM »
Hopefully I did the attachment correctly.  Coyote at Chalco Hills last Friday. Been doing my shooting with a camera lately.

Great picture, he probably looks so good from eating pet food and pets!

Greg
Pants Up!  Don't Loot!

Offline Mark B

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2020, 08:53:31 AM »
Partners cat from yesterday. Shot 4 coyotes Tuesday night.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2020, 09:11:10 AM »
Four 'Yotes in one night is a good night, any night.

How in the world did you negotiate the snow on Tuesday night...........?? 

sfg
PS-Don't stick your hand in that cage.

Offline Mark B

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2020, 12:23:54 PM »
We only got about 4" and the snow ended here by 3. Went out about 7, no snow but breezy and cold. Shot 3 when the group came in, Mom and 2 pups that weren't too bright.

Offline Les

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2021, 08:41:01 AM »
How do you like the Trail?  I've thought about upgrading.  Looks to be a pissed off kitty, lol.

Offline Mark B

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2021, 01:16:03 PM »
Yes the cat is not happy, they never are. I really like the Trail. 16x capability but if you get above 10x the image gets a little grainy. Other than that it's a keeper for me. Partner is 40ish and reads too much. About weekly it's "you gotta get this or that". I'm much older and done buying. You can get things done for less money but if you can buy the best you can afford the first time.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2021, 05:26:20 PM »
I'm much older and done buying.

When what you've already got gets good results (4 coyotes/night), just go with it.  It Works.

What are you using for critter calling........Some kind of electronic caller...??

BTW...Coyote mating season starts in about a month.   Estrus calls work pretty darn good.   Pulls in those coyote lounge-lizard types.  Sorta mean, in a way.  But what-the-hell, it's just coyotes.

sfg
« Last Edit: January 01, 2021, 05:28:24 PM by SemperFiGuy »

Offline Mark B

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2021, 07:18:45 PM »
Foxpro. Controlling it remotely to keep their focus away from us. It seems they are pairing up now. Like the Mom and pups we shot, she apparently wasn't in heat or the new guy would have run the pups off. It isn't always good, nothing last night. I'm tired so I'm not going anywhere tonight.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2022, 02:56:31 PM »
Coyote Hunter Alert:  February is coyote mating season.

Time now to gear up for coyote winter hunts and calling.

Plus some area baiting with cat food.   (No, that's NOT cheating.   They're coyotes.)

Just remindin' y'all.    Thassall.

sfg