< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: ? storing handgun in locked car during work?  (Read 1558 times)

Offline grumpy old man

• NFOA Full Member
    • Stand Up For It !
? storing handgun in locked car during work?
« on: August 18, 2019, 12:47:28 PM »
I have been a CCW holder here in Nebraska now going on 6 or 7 years.  I now work for a company that does NOT allow weapons on the premises and the parking lot is considered company premises.  The company policy & procedures are clearly stated that if a weapon is found in your vehicle it is a fire-able offense.  My understanding is the Nebraska law allows me to store my weapon in a locked car and in my glove compartment (as long as it is locked) when I am going to a place that does not allow weapons.  This will allow me to carry the weapon after I leave work and go other places.

If they do not allow me to store my weapon in my vehicle in a locked secure place isn't that a violation of state law and my 2nd amendment?

Another person I work with who is a CCW as well (but is in no position of authority with the company) has told me I am allowed to store the gun in my car (due to state law) but if they find out they have the right to fire me as Nebraska is a right to work state and you can be fired for any reason at any time with or without cause.

My next question is can they search my car without cause just because it is on company property?

Where I work now is what many would consider a "high value target" by someone who wants to do harm to a very large group of people.  Even though the place has lots of physical barriers and doors, locks, etc there is no armed security.  There have been numerous bomb threats and I have my CCW for the very reason to protect myself.  Lets face it someone who has a key card to get into any place at my work could cause massive loss of life.  Having my weapon in my car, even if its in the parking lot gives me a small feeling of survival for myself and others.

Thoughts of everyone here regarding these questions.  Thanks
"One man with courage is a majority." Thomas Jefferson

“The laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” Thomas Jefferson

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
Re: ? storing handgun in locked car during work?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2019, 05:40:43 PM »
The Nebraska Administrative Code for CHP expressly prohibits carrying a concealed handgun on work property when prohibited by the employer.

See Section 018.01O  (Zero-One-Letter O)

"A permit holder may carry a concealed handgun anywhere, except:

018.01O Any place or premises or employer owned vehicle where those in control of the place, premises or vehicle have prohibited permit holders from carrying concealed handguns; "

sfg
« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 05:46:48 PM by SemperFiGuy »
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline greg58

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2019, 07:13:18 PM »
My situation is very similar to yours, I work on a large secured campus. We are subject to search coming and going, no armed security, just rent a cops, and absolutely no weapons. So I am effectively disarmed before, during, and after work. This has bothered me as long as I have worked there, but not enough to seek other employment!
I have often wondered if someone came into one of our buildings with bad intent, we would be a soft target.
Does my employer bear some responsibility for protecting employees their policies have disarmed? Or could my estate seek recourse since I had no chance to protect myself from a mass shooter?
Greg
Pants Up!  Don't Loot!

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2019, 09:02:47 PM »
The Quick Response (as compared to the Informed Response) is that employers have no legal duty to protect their employees from the kind of harm caused in a random shooting event on company property.

Sorta same as storekeepers.

Actually, neither do the cops.

FWIW,

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline m morton

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2019, 10:30:56 PM »
park down the street , or in the next buildings parking lot. you can walk 50 yards across your company's parking lot. this way you can drive to work armed and not break your company's shat rule. or look for a better job and when they ask why your leaving ... speak up .
I will allow myself one personal observation. If you want to disarm yourself, that is your choice. The following quote is a favorite of mine and something to keep in mind when you make that choice.

“Sheep don’t tell wolves what’s for dinner.”

Offline Kendahl

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2019, 04:09:01 PM »
Park off your employer's property, lock your gun inside a sturdy box attached to the car, and lock the car. That should be enough to thwart a smash and grab thief but won't help if he steals the car. To avoid attracting unwelcome attention, never mention guns at work.

Nebraska is an employment at will state. Unless you are a member of a protected class, you can be fired for any reason or no reason at all. Years ago, my supervisor was a private pilot. The CEO, after losing his son in a flying accident, went around to every pilot in the company and told them to give up flying. To keep his job, my boss parked his plane until the CEO retired. Another guy I knew worked for a computer service company. A few months after he was hired, the company insisted that he sign an agreement not to work in the same field if he left the company. He refused and was promptly fired. (He quickly found a better job with a competitor.)