< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Registration in Howard County???  (Read 961 times)

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
Registration in Howard County???
« on: February 16, 2010, 06:04:12 PM »
I stumbled across this while searching for other information on the web.  It appears the Howard County Sheriff is saying you need to register your guns with them if you live there?

They're also very out of date on concealed carry - they say "There is no such thing as a permit to carry a concealed weapon in the State of Nebraska."

http://www.howardcounty.ne.gov/content/firearmfaq.html

Offline Bill

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Registration in Howard County???
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 07:07:15 PM »
If you look at the page source code it was last updated in 2005.  I'm guessing it's just stale rather than maliciously misleading. 

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 07:11:16 PM »
I see no mention of the registration actually being required.  Allowing registration and requiring it are miles apart. I think we need to verify some things.

The website also has an incorrect definition of a concealed weapon

69-2429. Terms, defined.

For purposes of the Concealed Handgun Permit Act:

(1) Concealed handgun means the handgun is totally hidden from view. If any part of the handgun is capable of being seen, it is not a concealed handgun;
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 07:25:42 PM »
If you look at the page source code it was last updated in 2005.  I'm guessing it's just stale rather than maliciously misleading. 

I agree, I doubt that they're deliberately trying to mislead.  The registration thing sounds confusing though, and I could see how someone could take it to mean registration is required.

Beyond that, should it even be legal for the sheriff to keep a gun registry, even it it's voluntary?  I don't think so, personally.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 07:36:22 PM »
It is legal  if you can convince people to volunteer the information
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.