< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Minnesota Doesn't Honor Nebraska CCW's  (Read 2837 times)

Offline warren209

• NFOA Full Member
Minnesota Doesn't Honor Nebraska CCW's
« on: February 16, 2019, 01:31:32 AM »
      According to handgunlaw.us, Minnesota does not honor Nebraska's concealed carry permits.  Minnesota does honor permits from fifteen other states, and Nebraska honors Minnesota's concealed carry permits.  These are the states that Minnesota does honor:  AR, DE, ID, IL, KS, KY, LA, MI, NJ, NM, ND, RI, SC, SD, and WV.   I will probably be having to make a trip to Minnesota in October, and I don't cherish the idea of traveling unarmed during any part of it.  I would like to hear any thoughts and ideas the rest of you have concerning this subject.  Please comment here, or send a personal message to me.  Thanks

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
Re: Minnesota Doesn't Honor Nebraska CCW's
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2019, 08:48:32 AM »
Hi, Warren:

I experienced the very same issue with respect to Minnesota, which was the only location where I could find certain NRA Instructor courses some time ago.

No good solution.   You can carry through Iowa and then stash the equipment in the trunk while in Minnesota, under 18USC926a.  That's about it.   

Or just not go to Minnesota.

FWIW,

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline JAK

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2019, 09:36:20 AM »
Best advice is to find one of the states that Minnesota honors the permits for and will issue a non-resident permit, from what I saw on Handgun Law, Minnesota dose recognize non-resident permits.

Dealing with issues like this when I travel is why I have carry permits from three states currently.

John K

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2019, 12:11:08 PM »
MN no longer recognizes Non-Resident permits (like NR Utah of the past). You can take a MN class and get their NR permit.

Offline Kendahl

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2019, 05:07:53 PM »
Nebraska Shooters teaches the Minnesota class. Then, you apply to the sheriff in any Minnesota county for a non-resident permit.

Offline Jito463

• Site Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2019, 06:57:16 PM »
And this is why we need a national reciprocity bill (or even better, national right to carry).

Offline warren209

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2019, 07:12:19 PM »
Nebraska Shooter's sight says that the certificate that they offer has to be presented in person to a sheriff's office in Minnesota.  This is exactly why we need a national reciprocity law!

Offline JMR

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2019, 02:29:31 AM »
I just quit going to MN. Born and raised there, lots of family, and they all know why I don’t visit them.

Offline Greybeard

• Bronze Benefactor
  • Live Free or Die!!
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2019, 10:34:16 AM »
We could have had National Reciprocity last Congressional Session, the House passed their bill. The Senate had a bill ready to go, but it was never brought tothe floor. Thank the Senate for screwing us, we had a full Republican Hand and couldn't get what we needed!!
WØCHF

Offline JMR

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2019, 11:14:47 PM »
We could have had National Reciprocity last Congressional Session, the House passed their bill. The Senate had a bill ready to go, but it was never brought tothe floor. Thank the Senate for screwing us, we had a full Republican Hand and couldn't get what we needed!!
That bill was killed when Fix NICS was attached to it, as it should have been. Fix NICS was attached and the reciprocity part was pretty much thrown out the window, we have the NRA to thank for that. They would have passed a reciprocity bill that didn’t give us reciprocity but instead gave us a Fix Nics Bill that would have allowed the government to spend more money, and potentially allow the government to deny gun purchases to more people.

Offline zofoman

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2019, 10:34:58 AM »
Nebraska Shooters teaches the Minnesota class. Then, you apply to the sheriff in any Minnesota county for a non-resident permit.

At Nebraska Shooters, if you already have a CCW, $20 gets you a NE refresher CCW course (you sit in on a regular NE CCW class) and you stay after for the additional Minnesota course....pretty sweet deal. Then you take your paperwork to a local MN Sheriff's office and drop another $50.  Once received, the office has 30 days to process the application.  A MN permit to carry is valid for five years.  A little planning is in order here, dont just show up in MN and expect to carry the same day you drop your paperwork off.  A nice little road trip just across the border will put you in business before you need it.   Love Minnesota....we go there for family vacations near the Canadian border.   
"What, me worry?"  ~ Alfred E. Neuman

Offline Jito463

• Site Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2019, 12:43:04 PM »
How hard is it to get a Kansas non-resident CCP?  I checked USACarry.com, and they show that MN recognizes those, as does WA, DE and GA.  Whereas a MN CCP isnt recognized in any other state that doesn't currently accept an NE CCP (meaning the only change is that you can also carry in MN).

Offline David Hineline

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2019, 10:26:15 PM »
Take the Minnesota class, first time through Minnesota stop at any sheriff's office, fill the application pay the $100 no photos or fingerprints, 30 days later your permit comes in the mail.
Machinegun owners blow thier load with one pull of the trigger

Offline Mali

• NFOA Full Member
  • My life, my rights.
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2019, 09:57:00 PM »
Take the Minnesota class, first time through Minnesota stop at any sheriff's office, fill the application pay the $100 no photos or fingerprints, 30 days later your permit comes in the mail.
Do you get a temp permit while waiting on it? Hate to be in state and no permit to show.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan

Offline David Hineline

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2019, 11:22:45 PM »
No temp 30 day processing.
Machinegun owners blow thier load with one pull of the trigger