< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Reciprocity Question  (Read 5798 times)

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
Re: Reciprocity Question
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2010, 08:12:27 PM »
I wish you luck Wilson.  April is right around the corner.  

Has anyone approached SC?  I know several members approached various states, but I don't know if anyone contacted SC?

Yes the Nebraska AG's office has contacted SC asking to honor our permit. It just takes time, not a priority for a lot of states. Remember everyone doesn't have an awesome Attorney General like we do  :-)

Offline RLMoeller

• Sponsor- NFOA Firearm Raffle at the 2009 Big Buck Classic. 2010 Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2010, 02:20:40 PM »
I have a question related to the Wyoming change.

The NRAILA.org article says that it is effective immediately.  That's great.  But I followed the link to read the bill.   At the very end it says "Section 2. This act is effective July 1, 2010."

What makes it effective immediately rather than July 1st?

Rod

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2010, 08:45:47 PM »
I would trust the bill, and guess that the NRA made a typo

Offline Ronvandyn

• Pollywog
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2010, 07:19:15 AM »
Yes, best not to take chances.  But the entire state has been an open carry state for decades, I use to OC there when I lived there in the 90's.

Ron
NE-CHP Holder, USAF Veteran, NRA Member,  ENGC Member
KC0MXX

Offline RLMoeller

• Sponsor- NFOA Firearm Raffle at the 2009 Big Buck Classic. 2010 Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2010, 09:24:27 AM »
I have been in contact with Ohio and Minnesota requesting information on reciprocity.

Minnesota does their annual review in June.

Ohio told me they have been trying to get a reciprocal agreement with Nebraska but have not been able to find anyone with that authority.  From Dan's efforts in working with Colorado I found information here on the forum about the Governor being the only one with authority to execute an agreement.   I just had a conversation with Robert Bell in the Governor's office and gave him the contact information for Ohio and some background information.  He assured me that he will make contact and that they want to get an agreement in place.  I also gave his contact information to the Ohio AG contact I was working with.  So hopefully we can see another state added in a few weeks.

Rod

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2010, 10:25:37 AM »
Great job!! Thanks for your work on this.   ;D
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2010, 05:59:31 PM »
RLM5150------

Really 'preciate your initiative on this reciprocity item.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline Wilson

• NFOA Full Member
  • Not as lean...Not as mean...Still a Marine!
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2010, 10:22:44 PM »
Wyoming just responded to the email I sent them. Their response is on top and my initial email follows below their response. This makes it clear for us!  ;D

Dear Mr. Metz,

You are reading the statute correctly.  During the last session of the Wyoming Legislature, the Concealed Firearm Permit statute was amended as provided in your message.  The statute was effective immediately, essentially upon the Governor?s signature which occurred in March 2010.

We appreciate the opportunity to respond to your inquiry and hope you enjoy visiting wonderful Wyoming.

Sincerely,
Kevin R. Smith
Deputy Director, CJIS
Wyoming Division of Criminal Investigation

Sent: Thursday, April 01, 2010 11:42 AM
To: dciwebmaster
Subject: Concealed Carry Question - Verification

Since Nebraska recognizes Wyoming Concealed Carry Permits, does the (iii) mean we in Nebraska with Concealed Handgun Permits can carry in Wyoming?
I just want to be sure I am not misreading this.

6-8-104. Wearing or carrying concealed weapons; penalties; exceptions; permits.
(a) A person who wears or carries a concealed deadly weapon is guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by a fine of not more than seven hundred fifty dollars ($750.00), imprisonment in the county jail for not more than six (6) months, or both, unless:
(i) The person is a peace officer;
(ii) The person possesses a permit under this section; or

(iii) The person holds a valid permit authorizing him to carry a concealed firearm authorized and issued by a governmental agency or entity in another state that recognizes Wyoming permits and is a valid statewide permit

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2010, 07:23:35 PM »
Great job Wilson,

Thank You!
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline DanClrk51

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2010, 01:59:28 AM »
Thanks for doing that Wilson. Could you send www.handgunlaw.us an email with this officials contact information so they can update this on their website?

Offline Wilson

• NFOA Full Member
  • Not as lean...Not as mean...Still a Marine!
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2010, 09:18:06 AM »
 I emailed Handgun Law at admins@handgunlaw.us and received the response below. They wait for accurate information which is a good thing. It also tells me to go to the source ie the state of Wyoming, for the quickest information since it may take awhile to show up on Handgun Law website. They do appreciate our input though  :)

The response:
Wilson, Yes WY just changed their law. They will honor any state that honors theirs. There are 4 states they will add. I was waiting for them to make it official on their website as this is what many LEO's would go by if they stopped someone with an out of state permit.

But thanks for the heads up. Do send along anything you think would be of interest to handgunlaw.us. I can't see everything. Stay safe, Gary Slider

Offline DanClrk51

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2010, 10:28:52 PM »
Thanks for doing that Wilson. It's good to keep communicating with websites that update state laws.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2010, 07:15:03 PM »
In regard to Wyoming: They have just passed and signed a new bill into law. It changes the way Wyoming handles reciprocity.

http://attorneygeneral.state.wy.us/dci/pdf/CWP.pdf

Wyoming Division of Criminal Investigation Concealed Firearm Permits
The Wyoming concealed firearm permit statute (revised effective March 2010) provides that Wyoming will honor permits from other states, and issue Wyoming permits to holders of permits from other states, if:
1. the other state recognizes Wyoming permits; and
2. the permit from the other state is valid statewide.
Under our current law, if you a permit holder from another state, if your permit is valid statewide and your State recognizes (or honors) Wyoming permits, you can carry a concealed firearm in Wyoming.
The current statute has resulted in a formal confirmation process with other states. Once the Division confirms which other States? permit Wyoming honors or has reciprocity, those states are listed below for convenience only. However, this listing has no legal effect. If your State is not presently listed, you may also check with your own State?s regulatory agency.

Alabama          Alaska              Arizona         Arkansas   Colorado    Florida

Idaho              Iowa                Kansas         Kentucky   Louisiana   Maine

Michigan          Minnesota        Mississippi     Missouri    Montana    Nebraska

New Mexico      North Carolina  North Dakota  Ohio         Oklahoma  Pennsylvania

South Carolina  South Dakota    Tennessee     Texas       Utah         Virginia

It is the sole responsibility for all concealed firearm permit holders to be aware of the requirements and laws of all states*. The permit issued by your state does not supersede any other state?s laws or regulations. Legal conduct in your state may not be legal in the state you are visiting.
For permit qualifications or additional information please click on the links below:
? Frequently Asked Questions
? Wyoming Concealed Firearms Permit Statute Revised 3/5/10
Wyoming permit holders who plan to visit another state and who also plan to carry a concealed firearm while visiting that state, are urged to contact that state before traveling. This will allow Wyoming permit holders to determine all restrictions or prohibitions regarding the carrying of concealed firearms in those states, as well as their laws regarding firearms and weapons in general. Most states have web pages with necessary information.
*State firearms laws and reciprocity agreements are subject to frequent change, and furthermore, are subject to court interpretation. Information contained on this page is not to be considered legal advice. You should always contact an attorney licensed to practice law in your state for any legal advice.
Rev: 04-19-2010
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 07:26:40 PM by Dan W »
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline maanbr

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2010, 07:40:11 PM »
Ohio now recognizes the Nebraska permit.
http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/Enforcement/Concealed-Carry/Reciprocity-Agreements

Ohio law gives the Attorney General the right to negotiate concealed carry handgun reciprocity agreements with other states.

Under such agreements, Ohio and other states agree to respect each other's concealed carry laws and recognize each other's permit holders.

In assessing whether to enter a reciprocity agreement, the Attorney General must determine if another state's concealed carry law and requirements are "substantially comparable" to Ohio's.

Ohio has reciprocity agreements with the following states. Click on the state name for more details about the agreement.

Alaska Arizona Arkansas Delaware
Florida Idaho Kentucky Michigan
Missouri Nebraska North Carolina Oklahoma
South Carolina Tennessee Utah Virginia
Washington West Virginia Wyoming   

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2010, 08:43:22 PM »
Great News.

Thanks for posting this update
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder

Offline RLMoeller

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2010, 07:20:47 PM »
I had not been getting a response from New Mexico, but after 4 attempts over the past 2 months I finally got something back. . . .   

Sir,
An extensive review of all states is in the works. The states we currently recognize are priority. Any additions to the list that is posted are likely a few months away.

Regards,

Sergeant Suzanne M. Skasik
NMDPS/SID/CCU
(505) 841-8053