< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: The madness begins....my first AR15 build  (Read 3038 times)

Offline senax

• NFOA Full Member
  • Trust, but verify.
Re: The madness begins....my first AR15 build
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2010, 10:34:32 PM »
I bought my first lower complete and overpaid...what can I say, it was the post-election crunch. I'm just starting to buy parts to build my second...the stripped lower is on the way already. I've decided this one will have a fixed stock, but I'm still indecisive about A2 vs. A1 length.

Frank

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2010, 08:40:14 PM »
Well, I did it.  Ordered the 18" SPR from White Oak today. 

So do you have all the tools to do the job ?

I have never made that investment, as it would likely make it necessary to build even  more black rifles
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2010, 09:00:45 PM »
I have the armorer's wrench, but I haven't bought the vise block for the upper yet.  Other than that I have assorted punches, hand tools, etc...

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2010, 09:08:33 PM »
I have been looking at the new barrel wrench from Brownell's.  It is less money than all the holding fixtures,  and looks like it would do a nice job of tightening a barrel to an upper without losing barrel alignment. Just would need a good wrench to hold the barrel nut and a vise

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=27452/Product/AR_15_M16_BARREL_EXTENSION_TORQUE_TOOL
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2010, 09:13:08 PM »
Well, the White Oak SPR barrel showed up today.  They told me 4-6 weeks and it was less that 2.  That's pretty good service. 

Now someone needs to buy my Savage 12FV so I can buy more EBR parts!

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2010, 04:51:28 PM »
Well, it's slowly coming along.  Got my barrel (18" White Oak SPR stainless, rifle length gas) a few months ago, and picked up a used A2 stock from Zombiehunter on this forum.  My wife got me a Stag lower parts kit for Father's day, so I put that together a couple days ago.  The trigger that came with the Stag kit is surprisingly good, much better than stock triggers on other AR's I've shot.  It has some creep, but it's consistent and fairly light.  I was going to send it off to Bill Springfield for a trigger job, but I think I'll leave it as is.