< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Leaving Magazines Loaded For Extended Periods?  (Read 3171 times)

Offline TopGlock2009

• NFOA Full Member
  • Gotta Love Achmed!!!
Leaving Magazines Loaded For Extended Periods?
« on: January 25, 2010, 08:07:49 PM »
I recently read an article pertaining to the rotation of the first three cartridges in a magazine. The reason for the rotation is based on the first cartridge being loaded and unloaded numerous thus leading to malfunction at some point in the future.

While this is a practice that I have been using for some time on my CCW (Glock 27), I would like to get some feedback on how others feel about leaving magazines loaded for extended periods. Has anyone experienced any problems with doing this?

Good or bad, this is something that I have done for some time with both my Glock 19 and SR556 magazines.

Any feedback?

Offline Gunscribe

• NFOA Co-Founder
Re: Leaving Magazines Loaded For Extended Periods?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 08:20:24 PM »
The idea behind rotating the few rounds out is the thought that constant loading and unloading of the rounds in the chamber will loosen the bullet setting it back in the case. When rounds with set back bullets are fired they generate higher pressure than a normal round. In some cases that pressure may be too much for the firearm and something bad happens.

As far as the length of time to leave them loaded, consider that loaded 1911 magazines from WWII are still being found in Grandpas attic and they still function perfectly fine. Think how much better metallurgy is today than it was back then and it should be even less of a problem now than it was then.

I would however subscribe to Colonel Coopers advice. If it bothers you to leave a magazine loaded for an extended period of time, swap unloaded for loaded ones once a month when you pay your bills.
Sidearms Training Academy
La Luz, NM

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 08:24:23 PM »
I leave two of my four PX4 magazines loaded all the time.  I also rotate the first three rounds on each magazine.  I have not had any personal issues with leaving the magazines loaded; however, I am a relatively new shooter compared to others on this forum.  I have read on other forums, that the experts say what wears out a magazine spring is use (i.e., expansion and compression), but not leaving it fully compressed.

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline justsomeguy

• Defender of the Constitution
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 08:45:42 PM »
Or try this. When you feel it is time to "rotate" your ammunition, go to the range and practice actually using your sidearm. Then replace the ammunition with new.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit. The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are." - Marcus Aurelius

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 10:24:38 PM »
Every mag I own is fully loaded at all times, unless I just finished emptying it ;D
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline Gunscribe

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2010, 11:38:35 PM »
Every mag I own is fully loaded at all times, unless I just finished emptying it ;D

I just can't let you get the better of me Dan, I need to crack open a couple of cases of ammo and load the 1500 rounds that would fill the other half of my mags. If Dan has his all loaded I gotta have my all loaded too. hahahaaha, lol, roflmao.

You know I'm just kidding Dan!

See ya'll in a few days.

La Luz, NM

Offline marksz71

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2010, 01:05:07 PM »
I have left mags loaded for months at a time, but lately I have tried to rotate them every few weeks just to be on the safe side especially for guns I rely on to protect myself and family.  However, even when I leave mags loaded for months at a time...I have never had a feed problem....I am referring to quality mags as well.  Not some of the no name brands...I don't trust their reliability for protection. 

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2010, 01:47:17 PM »
Cycling of the springs is what wears them out(as long as they are quality mags and the feed lips don't spread apart and fail).
My TEOTWAWKI AR15 mags have been fully loaded up for about 8 years now.  I have no hesitations about their function, should they be pressed into use.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline Burnsy87

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2010, 02:15:23 PM »
Cycling of the springs is what wears them out(as long as they are quality mags and the feed lips don't spread apart and fail).
My TEOTWAWKI AR15 mags have been fully loaded up for about 8 years now.  I have no hesitations about their function, should they be pressed into use.

This is my understanding as well.  The constant moving of the spring is what kills them, not having them compressed.

Offline son of liberty

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2010, 03:21:24 PM »
i have seen it myself that repeated chambering of a cartridge will push the bullet further into the case. BAD THING!!! what i have found to help is the way i racked my slide. i got out of the habit of letting the slide go forward on its own. in stead i hold the slide on its forward travel. i dont let the guide rod spring do all the work. what this did was keep the slide from slaming that cartridge into the feed ramp. i havent had a bullet go deeper in its case since i have started racking my slide this way. as far as keeping mags loaded, i have owned my XD for 2 years and the mags are always loaded. i have NEVER had any feed problems.
we dont shoot to kill, we shoot to stay alive

Offline TopGlock2009

• NFOA Full Member
  • Gotta Love Achmed!!!
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2010, 07:06:13 PM »
Thanks for the feedback! You confirmed what I also thought was the answer. I need to go load some more magazines  ;D

Offline Gunscribe

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2010, 02:09:45 PM »
I would also mention that lever action rifles are subject to projectile setback as well, especially if the tubular magazine is left loaded for a long period of time. the constant spring pressure will eventually loosen the bullets in the case. Any time you have bullet setback like what we are discussing it raises the chamber pressure, some times to an unsafe level. If any setbacks are noted the cartridge should be discarded properly.
La Luz, NM

Offline SeanN

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2010, 07:19:05 PM »
I have a bunch of AR-15 magazines that I have stored loaded for almost a year and took them out and shot them, no problems. I imagine they would have stayed fine for longer if I had left them. :)

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2010, 08:55:22 PM »
Hmm...I have a cap & ball 1851 Colt revolver that's been loaded in my safe since November.....need to see how that bad boy works :D

Offline DanClrk51

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2010, 09:51:01 PM »
Son of Liberty: Thanks for sharing. You are definitely right about the bullets being pushed back into the case. After reading your post I went and checked my Glock 19 magazine since I load and unload the chamber everyday for concealed carry because of family rules of no loaded, chambered guns in the house. I put the same bullet I chamber everyday up to one deeper in the magazine and indeed it is shorter than the other one. I can definitely see this being a problem. Thank you for the tip. I have laid the heavily chambered bullet aside and now I ease the slide forward instead of racking it. :-)