< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Heading to Front Sight next week  (Read 861 times)

Offline RLMoeller

• Sponsor- NFOA Firearm Raffle at the 2009 Big Buck Classic. 2010 Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
Heading to Front Sight next week
« on: April 17, 2010, 03:57:23 PM »
I am scheduled for the 4 day practical rifle course at Front Sight next weekend.  I decided to drive to avoid the hassles of flying and the costs of a rental.  I think the rental last fall was more than I will pay for gas this trip.  Checking a handgun at the airport during check-in has been easy enough, but flying is always a hassle to me.  Looking forward to the drive actually, should be relaxing.  And I need to decompress after all I've gone though these past few months. 

I have taken a course at Front Sight before, so I have some idea of what to expect.  This should be a great time.  I'm sure I will be very tired at the end of each day.  I will try to give a write up of my experience once I return.   Sounds like there may be over 800 students there next weekend!

I don't have anyone to watch the shop, so it will be closed while I am gone.  The shop will be closed Wednesday April 21st through Wednesday April 28th.

Rod

Offline 4RSC

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Heading to Front Sight next week
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 09:31:19 PM »
Wish I could go with you....

Take good notes, I'll be watching for an after action report

4RSC

Offline tut

• Forum Member
    • Tuts words
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 08:50:08 PM »
RLM,

So how was it?  I bet you learned a lot!

I've been lucky enough to take my two sons in '05 and then my wife last year.

Let us know what you thought of it, K?  I haven't been to the rifle courses yet so I'd like to read your thoughts on it and I bet others would also.
Imagine how gun control might be stomped if either of the NON-COMPROMISING lobbying groups, the Second Amendment Foundation or Gun Owners of America, had the NRA's 4 million members!

Offline RLMoeller

• Sponsor- NFOA Firearm Raffle at the 2009 Big Buck Classic. 2010 Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 10:02:56 AM »
I had a great time at Front Sight last weekend.  There were around 755 students and 56 students in my rifle class.

Day 1

Arrived at Front Sight around 7:00.  Long line at the gate.  Got parked and proceeded to check-in with my rifle and one full magazine.  They are very efficient in getting everyone checked in and weapons checked.  The classroom only holds 500 or so people, so they have now added another large tent and directed the rifle students to that tent.  I counted tables and it looked to hold 240 students in the tent.  The presentations in the main classroom are displyed on projector screens, and they broadcast that to a projector in the tent too.

Day one focuses on safety and fundamentals; the 4 safety rules, rules for dry practice, sight picture, sight alignment, trigger control.  The schedule alternates between range activities and classroom sessions the first two days.  The classroom sessions are optional for returning students.  Returning students may attend the classroom sessions or go to the range for dry practice sessions. 

The training is based on a student / coach approach.  If you are not on the line shooting, you are coaching.  Great way to reinforce new materials.  That approach has been in use with scuba, sky dive, etc. and has proven quite effective.  It also means there is very little down time throughout the day.

Sighted in at 50 yds and verified at 200.  Shooting throught the weekend was done at 15, 25, 50, 100, and 200 yards.

It was very windy the first day, and rather cool.  Rest of the weekend was around 80 and calm. The first day ended around 6:30.

Day 2

Went straight to the range and began the day promptly at 8:00.  The second day focuses on tactical movement.  There was a classroom session on tactical movement, cover, and concealment.  We had exercises on clearing a room and doorways (using orange guns).

After lunch we went out to 400 yards.  That was fun.  Only shot 5 rounds at that distance.

Most of us were able to get throught the simulator during the afternoon. With so many students there were a few that didn't get to go through until day 3.  There was a wash you were told to walk through and a variety of steel targets you needed to engage.  That was a lot of fun, but it was too short - only 7 or 8.   

We also did hostage situation shots at 15 and 25 yards.

Day 3

A lot more shooting and less classroom.  Did close range exercises at 3 and 7 yards.  More focus on malfunction clearances and tactical and emergency reloads.  Also introduced some additional stances and use of a sling for stabilization.   Most of what we had been doing was off-hand, with some kneeling, and prone.  Everything was at our discretion at any given distance.

Day 4

Basically went through the final test in the morning for practice and again in the afternoon for the record.  Team on team competition to finish out the day.

There was a lot of material covered, more than I mentioned here.  With long days covering a lot of material, I have a hard time remembering everything that was covered on which day.   I will say that I learned a lot, became faster, smoother, and more confident.  They is why I went, and I am pleased with the result.   I look forward to going again.