< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Any AK builders out there?  (Read 757 times)

Offline tylersaurus

• NFOA Full Member
Any AK builders out there?
« on: April 25, 2010, 03:25:30 PM »
I've been reading up and got a hankering for building an AK from a parts kit. Anyone with experience to share? Is it worth it?

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
Re: Any AK builders out there?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 05:30:01 PM »
ive talked to a few people in the past and this is what ive got out of those conversations...... first, sometimes it doesn't really pay.  you can get a parts kit, but then you still have to put it together and that takes time and you might need to buy a barrel or something else.

second, if you have a parts kit, make sure you destroy the full auto fire control group if it is still intact.  from what i understand parts kits sometimes comes with full auto parts but still are missing some key component.  this never really made sense to me, why would a parts kit still have full auto parts, but thats what ive been told.

lastly, i have also been told, you cannot own a parts kit and an assembled AK.  because the full auto parts can be switched with the semi-auto AK's parts.  even if you wouldn't do it, it still constructive possession.

i just about got a parts kit a few times, but every time i decided that i wouldn't have the time (or knowledge) to do it.  so i always talked myself out of it.  but if you're smarter or mechanically inclined, this shouldn't be a problem.  there's a ton of info/demos online.

and someone please correct me if im wrong.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline Wildgoose

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
Re: Any AK builders out there?
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 08:26:46 AM »
Hello,
Long time builder here. RobertH has it both right and a bit off too. Possesion of the auto sear and disconnector that often come with parts kits one can buy is not a violation as long as they are not also in possesion of a full auto three axis hole reciver as well. The auto parts cannot be installed in a legal semi-auto two hole reciever. The possession of a three hole auto rec with out a tax stamp is a violation in itself. Most folks dispose of the auto parts as they are of no use anyway and its a good idea to do so. But not really needed to be legal.
Is it worth it? Depends on why your are doing it. If its to get a cheap AK platform rifle no way. In the end your build will cost you more in time and money than buying prebuilt. If your doing it for fun and the challange or to have a type of AK not available any other way then yes it is. So really the worth is in the eye of the beholder.
If you are interested get in touch with me and I will be happy to give you all of the details on tooling, process and needed parts along with the availability of kits and prices currently on the market as I keep up on this stuff. It would take way to long to jot it all down here. Here are a couple of pics of what you can do if you want to go to the the trouble and have the needed skills to get it done.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 09:02:54 AM by Wildgoose »