< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Age for handgun  (Read 1563 times)

Offline Mike M.

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
Age for handgun
« on: May 01, 2010, 06:37:18 PM »
I have been looking for awhile now and cant find what I am looking for.
At what age can a person own a handgun(as in a gift).All I have been able to find is under 18 cannot own or transport. Also under21 cannot get a purchase permit. If you can give the state statute I would be greatful.
Thanks
Mike

USAF 82-88, American Legion, NFOA,  NRA

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
Re: Age for handgun
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 06:50:36 PM »
At 18 you can own a handgun, but you can not purchase one via an FFL until age 21. You are also prohibited from a face to face purchase without a handgun purchase permit

So at 18 you are limited to ownership via inheritance, or gift from a family member, since in Nebraska an 18 year old can not obtain a firearms purchase permit or a concealed handgun permit , which will soon be valid as a purchase permit(after July, 14 2010)
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline Mike M.

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 09:43:10 PM »
Dan thanks for the reply. It has helped alot. I have emailsd Marty Cnboy about this as I would like to give my son a handgun for his 19th bday.However the city registration law wont allow him to register it or take it to the range.
Mike

USAF 82-88, American Legion, NFOA,  NRA

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 10:25:43 PM »
Well, I say we just force Omaha give up this asinine registration program, as it violates the stated intent of the legislature when it passed LB430 last  year.

to wit:

Cities and villages shall not have the power to regulate the ownership, possession, or transportation of firearms, except as expressly provided by state law, and any existing ordinances, permits, or regulations regulating the ownership, possession, or transportation of firearms are declared
null and void.
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline DanClrk51

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010, 06:07:19 AM »
Yes, I think we should push for this as well. We need to tell our Senators that we want registration of firearms banned in this state. As well as establish complete state pre-emption of ALL firearms laws including open carry.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2010, 08:11:58 AM »
Don't have to push for the things I quoted above...they are already law. The problem is a rogue government in Omaha that defies the law
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder

Offline Hardwood83

• Powder Benefactor
  • Molon Labe
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2010, 11:05:58 AM »
Don't have to push for the things I quoted above...they are already law. The problem is a rogue government in Omaha that defies the law

So a lawsuit is the next step. The current situation is untenable.
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Offline DanClrk51

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2010, 05:11:48 AM »

So a lawsuit is the next step. The current situation is untenable.

Actually Dan W. is incorrect.

"Cities and villages shall not have the power to regulate the ownership, possession, or transportation of firearms, except as expressly provided by state law, and any existing ordinances, permits, or regulations regulating the ownership, possession, or transportation of firearms are declared null and void."

That was the original language (green copy) of the bill (LB430) Senator Christensen introduced but the judiciary committee didn't let it out with that language remember. They amended it to only apply to anyone with a concealed handgun who has a permit under the Concealed Handgun act.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2010, 08:25:27 PM »
You are right DanClrk51, sorry for that, I was thinking this about  CHP holders, and I did not make that clear.

Omaha has been illegally enforcing registration law against CHP holders
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder