< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Wal-Mart Employee Schools me on Federal Law  (Read 1654 times)

Offline akclark

• NFOA Full Member
    • CryptoSpace
Wal-Mart Employee Schools me on Federal Law
« on: May 02, 2010, 10:15:28 AM »
Since I have purchased my pistol I have worn it in a drop leg holster. I went to Wal-Mart to buy some things and the older-man at Wal-Mart behind the sporting good counter informed me that I might be in violation of the law. I asked him why, and he countered with asking if I had a permit to carry the weapon. I informed him Nebraska was an open-carry state, and as long as it wasn't concealed I didn't require a permit. Looking dumbfounded he countered with, "Well do you know you can't keep ammo next to your pistol, it has to be in your trunk?" I responded with I had never heard that before, and he left looking somewhat frightened.

I am not sure what was going on, or if the second is really a law.

On one hand, I feel agitated when people assume I'm breaking the law bye wearing a pistol, assuming I am a criminal.

On the other, my intent on open-carrying is to let people know that have the right to carry, and trying to bring people carrying weapons back in to the norm of the collective sub-conscious.

Should I just get a CCW to ease other peoples fear about me? I am caving in to a societal pressure that I should be trying to change??

Please tell me how it is. I would like your honest opinions.

Thanks,
Clark
"The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." -Thucydides

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
Re: Wal-Mart Employee Schools me on Federal Law
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 10:30:07 AM »
Clark as long as you were not in Omaha you were not violating any law.  Omaha does require it's Open carry permit, or a CCW to open carry.  The laws the Walmart employee would be refering to would be interstate transportation laws that would allow you to transport through areas that may have stricter firearm regulations than you arw used to.  Unfortunatly a little education on the laws can be a dangerous thing, some people here one thing and think it applies to everything.

As far as if what you are doing is correct, that is a personal decision.  Some people find that the education that they can provide to the public by open carry is worth the posible hassle other would rather avoid the problem and choose to carry concealed.  There is no right answer, it's what you are comfortable with.

Offline SBarry

• Former BOD, NFOA Volunteer , NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award Winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 11:31:48 AM »
I assume you were in Kearney, and the limping clerk was helping you. He is full of guano. That pistol can be loaded at all times, ammo next to it, and ready to rock.

You will find out soon enough, "He who knoweth the least, sayeth the loudest."

Everyone with half a clue is an expert, especially if working behind a gun counter. Next time, refer him to the NFOA website.
The sheep don't like this sheepdog until the wolves start working the flock.

Offline akclark

• NFOA Full Member
    • CryptoSpace
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 12:49:54 PM »
What I really like about open carry is in the Marine Corps they teach that physical presence of force is the first level of deterrence against enemy action. According to that, with open-carry, if a perp sees me, he is less likely to take actions that would be risky than if he didn't see my weapon.
"The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." -Thucydides

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010, 02:04:12 PM »
Get your CHP, it might save you a lot of grief, then open carry to your hearts content.

As we have learned from the recent Walgreen's incident, you never know when the SHTF. Having a CHP and a reliable backup handgun should be considered a high priority, and would be a big relief, should one ever need to defend themself.
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline Eric

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2010, 10:39:47 AM »
The average Wal-Mart employee is lucky to be able to walk and chew gum at the same time.  his idiot had no idea what he was talking about.  Don't listen to him and talk to the manager if this guy tries this crap again.

Offline wrenrj1

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2010, 07:55:48 PM »
#1.  I concur with Dan W. Get your CHP. 

#2. People, DON'T disparage Walmart employees (Eric) as many of them are working their way up, or having to find a job due to the economy and work for Walmart.  Many are actually proud to work at Walmart.  You find misinformed people everywhere, if you have an issue shop somewhere else. 

I have no financial, employment issue with Walmart, but geez, their employees seem to get slammed.

Offline David Hineline

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2010, 06:29:10 AM »
I think a visually armed groups is a deterrent no doubt, a single man with a tied down gun can be a deterrent or the first target to dispatch.

A concealed weapon gives you the ability to solve the problem without being the first one down.
Machinegun owners blow thier load with one pull of the trigger

Offline Rich B

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2010, 08:33:40 AM »
#2. People, DON'T disparage Walmart employees (Eric) as many of them are working their way up, or having to find a job due to the economy and work for Walmart.  Many are actually proud to work at Walmart.  You find misinformed people everywhere, if you have an issue shop somewhere else. 

I have no financial, employment issue with Walmart, but geez, their employees seem to get slammed.

I concur.  I've heard plenty of misinformation at gun shops and gun shows.  Even the mainstream media seems to get it wrong at least 50% of the time. 

I also wouldn't single out Wal-mart for their service (or lack thereof) either.  It seems like most major retailers these days are lacking in customer service.
NRA Life Member.

Offline Ronvandyn

• Pollywog
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2010, 04:37:50 PM »
I love them folks at Walmart.  :)

http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/

Ron
NE-CHP Holder, USAF Veteran, NRA Member,  ENGC Member
KC0MXX