General Categories > Non Gun Stuff

My new smoker

(1/2) > >>

bkoenig:
I'm pretty excited about this...

I've been cooking on an el cheapo Brinkman smoker for the last 4-5 years and it's ok, but nothing special.  It needs the charcoal replaced every 2-3 hours, which makes smoking something like a brisket a real pain, especially if I'm doing it overnight for lunch.  It also doesn't hold much meat.  I wanted something bigger and more efficient, but I'm cheap, so I decided to build it myself.  I found a thread on "Ugly Drum Smokers" here http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436 and decided to give it a try.  It sounds like these things are taking the barbeque world by storm, since they make great Q without having to dump a lot of money into a professional rig.

So, I found a used drum that formerly held soybean oil and went to work.  I used a jigsaw with a metal cutting blade to cut the top out, and added a lid from a knock off of a Weber grill.  I think it turned out pretty well.  On my first test this weekend it ran for 7 hours on a 1/2 load of charcoal, without having to adjust the air vents much.  It made the best smoked chicken I've ever had, along with a bunch of sausage too.  If you're into barbeque and are competent enough to run a drill and saw you owe it to yourself to build one of these:

Hardwood83:
Outstanding. I'll email you my address so you can drop off some pork loin, I'm thinking 5lbs. How does Sat morning sound? Great see you then!

NE Bull:
VERY NICE, I too believe in cost efficiency. ;)  I may have to build me one of them contraptions,too

bkoenig:
Now I just need to build a cart for it and give it a custom paint job (flames).  None of that is necessary, but it would be really cool.

greg58:
How do you load the smoker? Is there a firebox door on the bottom?
Where did you find the plans??

Greg58

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version