< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Lever-action carbines  (Read 1139 times)

Offline Bill

• NFOA Full Member
Lever-action carbines
« on: May 04, 2010, 10:35:38 AM »
I currently have a limited collection of guns, and a pretty limited budget.  I have a couple .22 rifles, a Ruger Mk II .22 pistol, and the Ruger GP100.

Someone recently suggested to me that a .357 mag rifle would give me a nice rifle that would be good up to 100 yards or so and be economical to shoot (since I can reload .357's.)

Anyone have any experience with these guns?  I was looking at a Marlin or a Henry.  Anyone go deer hunting with them?

http://www.henryrepeating.com/h006_bigboy.cfm
http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/1894centerfire/1894C.asp

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
Re: Lever-action carbines
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 12:39:24 PM »
Not a first hand account, but a friend of my brother has a .357 lever gun, I believe it's a Henry. Not sure about deer, but I know he 'yote hunts with it.  Another cool thing is you can plink with .38s to be even more economical.  All the info I can give.
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline 20nickels

• NFOA Full Member
  • I've got your back
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 12:35:32 PM »
I bought a Marlin. Very well made firearm, and the .357 is an animal out of an 18' or longer tube.  Don't let anyone tell you it's underpowered, they will take big game with ease if you do your part.  A must for every .357 freak.
~1522~    In an effort to reduce the continuing fear surrounding the black magic of guns and black powder, a Bavarian necromancer states that rifles are more accurate than smoothbores because the spinning bullet doesn't allow a demon to gain purchase upon it.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 12:54:10 PM »
I have a Marlin in .44 Mag that I really like.  Hard to afford to shoot the thing now.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline Bill

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010, 02:28:32 PM »
20nickels, would you be willing to hook me up with a test drive?   (Providing you are somewhere in the neighborhood - Lincoln)   Send me a PM if you're open to discussing it.

As is all-too-common I think this is going to be a multi-year plan to actually purchase one, but it's something to dream about.  Much more reasonable to shoot than the .30-06 and probably kicks a lot less.   ;D

Offline Wymore Wrangler

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2010, 03:38:55 PM »
Stay away from the Henry big bores, they are pain to load, and most folks aren't impressed with them that I know.  In the reasonable market, around 400 dollars, the 1892 Winchester clones are hard to beat, not the smoothes actions like a Uberti but more than adequate for plinking and hunting.  If you want to spend around 600 dollars, the Marlin is hard to beat and American made.  I'd recommend Rezac's gunshop in Valaprasio, he's got alot of the 92's on sale.  PM me if your interested and I'll get you the contact info...

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2010, 04:33:56 PM »
Marlin 1894 - .357 mag...... Sweet little rifle

Offline 20nickels

• NFOA Full Member
  • I've got your back
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2010, 09:59:04 AM »
20nickels, would you be willing to hook me up with a test drive?   (Providing you are somewhere in the neighborhood - Lincoln)   Send me a PM if you're open to discussing it.

As is all-too-common I think this is going to be a multi-year plan to actually purchase one, but it's something to dream about.  Much more reasonable to shoot than the .30-06 and probably kicks a lot less.   ;D

You won't mistake it for a .22, but there is very little kick in the 357 rifles.  I'm in G.I. and would be happy to let you shoot it if you made the trip however it has a new front blade from Skinner Sights that is oversized and needs filed down once I get settled on a handload.
Maybe a better option would be to attend a local SASS or cowboy type shoot where you will probably see many MFG's rifles represented.
~1522~    In an effort to reduce the continuing fear surrounding the black magic of guns and black powder, a Bavarian necromancer states that rifles are more accurate than smoothbores because the spinning bullet doesn't allow a demon to gain purchase upon it.