< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Costs  (Read 1366 times)

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
Costs
« on: June 09, 2010, 02:24:01 PM »
Over at TFL, a new shooter asked me what the cost vs. savings on reloading .270 WIN were, and how long it would take to recoup equipment costs......

I did not know for sure what current prices are for loaded ammo...... so I did some research.....

Without buyin any of the components except primers in bulk, I found that you could load pretty decent rounds (WIN case, 60grains of IMR 7828, WLR primer,  130 grain Hornady Interlock  bullets) for 64cents ea., 31 cents less/round than you could buy that crappy Federal blue box stuff (18.99/box of 20)..... if you bought Core Lokts in bulk, you could save an extra dime each shot.....

I imagine powder could be had a lot cheaper, too, both by selecting a cheaper powder and one requiring (a lighter charge- IMR 4064 comes to mind), but the guy asking the question was a newb deer hunter and would be looking for best possible velocity/ energy.....

With an entry level Lee kit, it would take less than 300 rounds to pay for itself...... a Lee Loader less than 1/2 that.

....but, like I have always said, Handloading will not save you any money- you just shoot more.  Most guys don't shoot 300 rounds out of their deer rifles in a decade..... after I started rollin' my own, I have shot nearly that many rounds at prairie dogs in a weekend....

The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.