< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Wanting to build a custom handguard. Looking for a machinist/shop.  (Read 1020 times)

Offline m0par

• NFOA Full Member
I have a little problem, in that I need a piece of 2 1/4" aluminum tubing knurled, trimmed to length on a lathe (just to square it up), chamfered, and have some slots milled into it.

It will be for a custom ar-15 handguard. Nothing fancy, but no one makes a rifle-length handguard with 2" ID that I can find, and I need one.

I will be using a stub of the current handguard for the threaded portion so I don't have to mess with a custom barrel nut or adapter.

I thought I'd ask here first. Maybe someone is setup to do such machining, or knows of a shop that is. The closer to Kearney, the better. I will end up expanding my search as necessary, but would prefer to stay local if possible.

Thanks.
"Where the people fear the government you have tyranny. Where the government fears the people you have liberty."--John Basil Barnhill

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
Re: Wanting to build a custom handguard. Looking for a machinist/shop.
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 09:22:28 PM »
What are you trying to clear in the ID?

I can't imagine that you have come up with a configuration never before attempted.

There ought to be a rail available  to fit just about anything ever conceived in the way of AR15 uppers.

Maybe we could help you find a production part, unless you really want to make a custom piece
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline m0par

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2010, 10:21:16 PM »
Factory part would be fine. I've searched, but can't find one.

I'm wanting to use a Paladin gas block on a carbine-length gas system under a rifle-length handguard. The manufacturer says the 0.936" gas block will not fit inside the 1.75" ID tubes, but would fit inside a 2" ID. Something like a Daniel Defense Omega X (with slight modification) would work with the block, but won't work with the 1.5" OD suppressor.

Other than a custom one, modifying a DPMS LR-308 tube might work (lop off the threaded portion, and use the rest just like I would use the custom tube). I would prefer a knurled surface though. I guess there's always tread tape. :)
"Where the people fear the government you have tyranny. Where the government fears the people you have liberty."--John Basil Barnhill

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 08:27:52 PM »
I can see why you are having issues, that is one big gas block.

How do you plan to adjust it when it is under the float tube?
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline m0par

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010, 12:54:36 PM »
I will adjust it through a vent hole in the handguard.

I think that picture is a bit deceiving, size-wise. They claim that the block for the 0.75" barrels will fit under a standard 1.75" ID FF tube. Unfortunately, the block for a 0.936" barrel needs 2".

They offer different adjustment methods than the tab shown in that picture. They used to offer a hex socket (allen-head) which is what I wanted and am trying to talk them into using. The option they are recommending is a slotted head. Like a screw. I suppose that would be fine if it never gets carbon'd up, and the adjuster is sufficiently hard(ened) to prevent the slot from being rounded out.

It's not ideal. But with my somewhat ill-planned setup, it seems to be the best option that I can come up with. It's either that, or live with a long, front-heavy rifle with a carbine-length handguard,