< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Help with Bluing and gun restoration  (Read 812 times)

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
Help with Bluing and gun restoration
« on: June 14, 2010, 05:32:33 PM »
my father has loaned me three guns, a shotgun and two BB guns and he is letting me do some bluing and other maintainence he doesn't have the time for.  the guns have some surface rust and pretty much all of the bluing is gone.  what do you guys suggest to help me take off the rust and add the bluing.  and these guns are not anything special just old family guns.

pics below.

thanks.

Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
Re: Help with Bluing and gun restoration
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 09:17:56 PM »
Robert, do you think those airguns ever had a true "blue"  treatment.

I have some Cold blue from Brownells, but I have only use it for spot repairs and touch-ups. They say to remove the rust with steel wool in the instructions.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1072/Product/OXPHO_BLUE_reg_

http://www.brownells.com/userdocs/learn/Inst-546forWeb.pdf
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 09:19:55 PM by Dan W »
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 11:10:51 PM »
i have no idea if they were ever a true blue, but the metal not exposed to the elements looks pretty dark blue, almost black.

my dad told me he did a quick cold bluing on those guys years ago.  he had left them out in his old, uninsulated shop for years.... like about 40 years.  so i want to do some cleaning and maintainence before they are unsalvageable.  the rust isn't pitting the metal, its just ugly.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline MikeF72

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 11:02:23 PM »
Robert - I've done some touch up cold bluing in the past.  I've used both Birchwood Casey and Brownells and I would highly recommend Brownells for a better job, especially on a large project.  About a month ago I used Brownells Oxpho-Blue (available at Cabela's) on an old Charter Arms .38 spl that was given to me over 25 years ago.  The guy that gave it to me had let it bounce around in the floorboard of his pickup for a few years.  It was in very bad shape with some minor rust starting to form.  I steel wooled it down to the original metal and was extremely pleased with the results.  I wasn't looking for a 'factory finish' - just something presentable when I take it to the range.

[attachment deleted by admin]
All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife. - Daniel Boone

Offline David Hineline

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010, 11:14:43 PM »
I would learn to use Norells Molykote, apply with an air brush bake in oven.
Machinegun owners blow thier load with one pull of the trigger