< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: New Rifle  (Read 1102 times)

Offline Ram Ringer

• NFOA Full Member
New Rifle
« on: June 14, 2010, 10:35:45 PM »
The wife surprised me yesterday and told me she went ahead and purchased my new rifle. Rem Mod 700 SPS Varmint in .223. I was going to buy one when I get back from Iraq, but now if I can figure out which scope to buy I may be able to shoot it as soon as I get home. These next three weeks are not going to go by fast enough.

Galen
"The Most Important Political Office Is That Of The Private Citizen"  Louis Brandeis

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
Re: New Rifle
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 08:11:08 PM »
Stay safe short timer... I like Nikon glass. Currently have a Monarch 4X16-42mm on my long range AR15 with a BDC reticle. It was a steal at $340.00 
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline David Hineline

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 11:20:13 PM »
I don't like a lot of magnification I like the Millett Designated Marksman scope.  1-4X the dot is set for ranging out to 500
Machinegun owners blow thier load with one pull of the trigger

Offline Ronvandyn

• Pollywog
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 11:35:33 AM »
I have been looking for a Ruger #1 for the same reason.  Going back and forth between .223 and something faster (.220 Swift maybe), but cost is unfortunately going to be a factor.

Then I keep reminding myself, need a new gun cabinet first.  :)

Ron
NE-CHP Holder, USAF Veteran, NRA Member,  ENGC Member
KC0MXX

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 09:05:51 PM »
I don't like a lot of magnification I like the Millett Designated Marksman scope.  1-4X the dot is set for ranging out to 500

Even for a varmint rifle?
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline Ram Ringer

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2010, 09:48:42 PM »
I think I have narrowed it down to either the Nikon Buckmaster or coyote special both have the BDC reticle. I have a monarch with BDC on another gun and really like that setup. I realize they are not the top of the line Nikons, but I their prices are in the range for what I can justify spending right now. I like the idea of the coyote special since it is set up for a 55 gr bullet llike I shoot.

"The Most Important Political Office Is That Of The Private Citizen"  Louis Brandeis

Offline David Hineline

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2010, 02:41:21 PM »

Even for a varmint rifle?

How far do you think you are going to shoot with a .223? 500 is a plenty.  If you can't hit a P-dog at 4 power, then you can't hit it with 20power.

Offline David Hineline

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2010, 02:56:29 PM »
Thank you for your service.  I can put you into the Coyote Special 3x9 black for $225
4.5X14 $261

Camo finish adds $15  camo match finished rings are $35 and something called an anti refliection device is $35. Could be a little less but distributors kind of boink on shipping sometimes.  All were in stock at distributor could have them in 3 days or so from order placed.

There were so many scopes marketed undeer the Buckmaster line that I could not determine which one you are interested in.

Offline Ram Ringer

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2010, 09:41:31 PM »
David, I wish I would have checked this before I ordered one, maybe in the market again in the near future. I am thinking about changing scopes on one of my other rifles.

I appreciate the gesture but there is really no need to thank me as I am just a lowly civilian that works for the government whose job allows to me to be able to protect those that protect us. Hell I even have to pay taxes while I am here.

Thanks
Galen