< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Gun safe: Where to buy near Lincoln?  (Read 2388 times)

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
Gun safe: Where to buy near Lincoln?
« on: July 10, 2010, 10:04:46 PM »
The title pretty much says it all.  Anyone have a suggestion on where to buy a gun safe in or around Lincoln?  I would buy used if it was in good condition and a good price.

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
Re: Gun safe: Where to buy near Lincoln?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2010, 10:36:04 PM »
Surf the craigslist, that where I got one of mine.
Are you looking for fireproof or jus a cabinet/ metal or wood?
There is currently a double door cabinet listed on CL as of this morning.
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2010, 12:50:58 AM »
I was hoping for a fire-resistant safe and something that will slow a burglar down.  My collection just went from a pistol and a rifle to four pistols, three shotguns, and four rifles...and I have a feeling it may be experiencing another growth spurt in the near future.

Fly

Offline SBarry

• Former BOD, NFOA Volunteer , NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award Winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2010, 01:21:32 AM »
Tractor Supply and Orschlens have them, and occasionally put a good sale on them. I agree that craigslist would be the place to find a good used unit, but I wouldn't recommend one with an electronic lock, seen too many fail and a safe cracker has to drill a hole in the door to open them.

http://grandisland.craigslist.org/for/1822655957.html
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 01:38:48 AM by SBarry »
The sheep don't like this sheepdog until the wolves start working the flock.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2010, 09:13:50 AM »
Best deal for the money in my opinion:  http://www.sturdysafe.com/

Be sure to watch their videos, they are amazing.

Also, do some reading through the threads here: http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=46&t=265373

If you are going to get one, get it big enough for double your estimated collection size.  You can get a very nice Sturdy safe for the price of a couple nice guns and have the piece of mind that it would take a professional many hours to break into it, instead of minutes.

The cheap ones from TSC and Costo/Sams are cheap for a reason. Watch this and you will see why:
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline Bill

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2010, 12:02:27 PM »
They aren't cheap but Scheel's sells them and they deliver.

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2010, 12:16:49 PM »
I was hoping for a fire-resistant safe and something that will slow a burglar down.  My collection just went from a pistol and a rifle to four pistols, three shotguns, and four rifles...and I have a feeling it may be experiencing another growth spurt in the near future.
Fly

I feel your pain Fly, My family bought me a 14 place unit for Christmas, and I picked up and old 8 gun unit for cheap for to stack ammo in. Well since then, the 14 gun unit is almost full, looking into a smaller unit at big-lots or Harbor Freight for the piss dolls. Ammo will have to go back into the wardrobe unit that started out as my first gun cabinet.  ( yeah, I'm a cheap-a$$, but it gets it done) As I live in a 'secure' apartment, it would take someone awhile to get to it all. If/when I'm back in a house, I will be looking into a more secure unit.

A thought I had once: Legend goes, that you can store important documents in your freezer and in the event of a fire, they will be safe. Soooo....  Why couldn't a feller procure a nonfunctioning upright freezer, rip out the shelves, build some brackets, secure the door ( some even already have a lock), stick it in the pantry or kitchen and WALLA a true, honest to God, Redneck, stealthy, fire resistant, gun safe. 8) ;D 8)
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2010, 01:41:01 PM »
I just sold one on Craigslist.  Keep an eye out on CL or watch for the Sunday specials at sporting goods stores.  If you care about your guns, factor in the interior materials (soft and padded = good) and the need for a dehumidifier.

Offline wrenrj1

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2010, 01:43:28 PM »
Lowes has a few.

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2010, 11:06:35 PM »
Lowes has a few.

Huh!  Didn't think to check Lowes.

Thanks,
Fly