< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Word is...  (Read 2483 times)

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
Word is...
« on: July 15, 2010, 07:32:24 PM »
That Omaha notified the cities FFL's (via email) that valid CHP holders no longer are required to register a concealable firearm at the time of purchase.

Can anyone confirm that, maybe post the email or forward it to me?
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
Re: Word is...
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 10:34:31 AM »
I corresponded with a friend of mine that works at one of the big box outdoor retailers that previously required you to register concealable firearms before you could leave with them.  He was not speaking in an official capacity and both he and the store shall remain nameless.

However, he said that you are now allowed to leave the store with a purchased concealable weapon without registering it with the city first.  However, he got the impression that the city still thinks you need to register a concealable weapon if you are going to carry it within the city limits (assuming you have a CCP).

Omaha just doesn't get it.  LB 817 specifically states: 18-1703 Cities and villages shall not have the power to regulate the ownership, possession, or transportation of a concealed handgun ....

Admittedly, this is hearsay so take it with a grain of salt.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 09:20:52 PM »
http://www.co.douglas.ne.us/omaha/police/firearm-squad/firearm-squad-faqs#Q10

I have a CCW permit. Do I have to register my concealable firearm with the Omaha Police Department?

Effective July 15, 2010, Nebraska state statute 18-1703 has voided the Omaha city ordinance 20-251, which means that valid CCW permit holders are no longer required to register concealable firearms with the city of Omaha.
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 10:13:42 PM »
http://www.co.douglas.ne.us/omaha/police/firearm-squad/firearm-squad-faqs#Q10

I have a CCW permit. Do I have to register my concealable firearm with the Omaha Police Department?

Effective July 15, 2010, Nebraska state statute 18-1703 has voided the Omaha city ordinance 20-251, which means that valid CCW permit holders are no longer required to register concealable firearms with the city of Omaha.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2010, 10:28:00 PM »

WOOT!

The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010, 07:44:42 AM »
I guess someone needs to send that link to the OPD.  ::)

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2010, 08:31:48 PM »

That link is from OPD.

Of course many officers on the street probably are not informed yet

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2010, 07:12:51 AM »

That link is from OPD.

Of course many officers on the street probably are not informed yet

I realize it's on the OPD web page, but you're probably right that the word hasn't made it to the officers on the street yet.  Good old governmental efficiency.

Offline Husker_Fan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2010, 09:23:32 AM »
What I heard (so take it for what it is worth) is that OPD started covering this in their start of shift meeting starting on the 15th.  If that's the case all the patrol officers should be aware of the change.

Offline Wilson

• NFOA Full Member
  • Not as lean...Not as mean...Still a Marine!
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2010, 01:08:57 PM »
The one thing I did appreciate about the OPD registration was the card that proves the weapon is actually mine. If stopped, the officer could see proof I own the weapon. Without anything like that, the officer may want to take the weapon and "make sure it's not stolen"  :P

I bought my weapon from Rod and have asked him to come up with a similar card so I can carry something beside an 8X11 receipt. Picture this; good guy and bad guy with weapon on the floor between them. Police asks whose is this...both say "Mine". It would be nice to have a card :-)

Are there any other creative ideas out there?

Offline Greybeard

• Bronze Benefactor
  • Live Free or Die!!
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2010, 02:09:06 PM »
Why not create your own card and laminate it. People who are committing crimes don't want to be associated with the weapon. If you have the make, model and serial number on a laminated piece of paper or card stock, it's pretty certain that you didn't create it on the spot.
WØCHF

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2010, 06:30:31 PM »
So, Wilson...just who are you hangin with these days? :o
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder

Offline Wilson

• NFOA Full Member
  • Not as lean...Not as mean...Still a Marine!
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2010, 08:34:15 PM »
Who am I hanging with? ...the good guys!

Next week, I am headed to South Dakota where we will have 70 active Marine recruiters at a ranch. They will have a private rodeo, prairie dog shooting, trap shooting, machine gun firing, prime rib. steaks, and tremendous food for three days. We are trying to say thanks and bless them for all the work they do. It will really be a lead flinging three days  ;D

Per the homemade registration card, I thought it would be a little more official if Rod makes one for me but the point of making one does make sense.

Offline DaveB

• NFOA Full Member
  • Future lottery winner!
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2010, 09:02:26 PM »
I have a homemade registration card of sorts, there is an gun inventory in my safe and another copy in a safe deposit box. I feel that is good enough for me and law enfArcement. As far as omaha, they can kiss me where the sun don't shine. There are plenty of other fine cities in this state to visit and spend money in.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2010, 06:23:07 AM »
I have a homemade registration card of sorts, there is an gun inventory in my safe and another copy in a safe deposit box. I feel that is good enough for me and law enfArcement. As far as omaha, they can kiss me where the sun don't shine. There are plenty of other fine cities in this state to visit and spend money in.

BINGO!!
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline David Hineline

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2010, 09:06:26 PM »
Machinegun owners blow thier load with one pull of the trigger

Offline David Hineline

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2010, 02:03:34 AM »
Who am I hanging with? ...the good guys!

Next week, I am headed to South Dakota where we will have 70 active Marine recruiters at a ranch. They will have a private rodeo, prairie dog shooting, trap shooting, machine gun firing, prime rib. steaks, and tremendous food for three days. We are trying to say thanks and bless them for all the work they do. It will really be a lead flinging three days  ;D

Per the homemade registration card, I thought it would be a little more official if Rod makes one for me but the point of making one does make sense.

The Marines have med it a lot easier to make my move to KS in Sept. as there is much less ammo for me to transport South now.

Start my new job off Aug 29th flying to training in Irvine, CA then back to Omaha, pick up company car and go South.
Machinegun owners blow thier load with one pull of the trigger