< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Lincoln...Thunder Alley  (Read 2871 times)

Offline phorvick

• Forum Member
Lincoln...Thunder Alley
« on: August 15, 2010, 07:26:00 AM »
I had a class yesterday at the revamped range in Lincoln.  I had been inside once shortly after new ownership took over, but not recently.

What a tremendous change.  Clean. Well lit, new carpeting/paint. Garbage from range all gone.  Superbly nice.

Kudos to Randy et al for the hard work and time they have committed to resurrecting the facility.

If butterfiles carried .45's, there would be no sparrow problem.

http://shootingsafely.com

Offline Ghost

• Steel Benefactor
  • NRA Life Member - 1972
Re: Lincoln...Thunder Alley
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 02:12:03 PM »
I'll second that.  I've been in there a couple of times in the last couple of weeks, testing some different handloads.

It's a really nice facility.  Kudos to Randy & Co!   ;D  ;D
A well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free State......George Mason

Offline Rich B

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 07:06:00 PM »
How about an address, URL, and phone number?
NRA Life Member.

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010, 07:34:24 PM »
this should tell you everything you need to know:

http://www.thunderalley.us/

i showed up there saturday after the class got over with and i was the only guy there.  actually one guy was leaving when i was getting set up.  ive been there when's it completely busy as well.  and yes i love it.  you don't have to be a member either.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline Roper

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 08:37:04 PM »
Looking forward to checking it out!!  Thanks for the information.
Concentrated power has always been the enemy of liberty.
Ronald Reagan

Offline Bill

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 10:04:11 PM »
I've been going there since they re-opened.  They've really expanded what they have available there, and Randy is contemplating getting another FFL so he can do transfers and rentals.

I give them 2 thumbs up.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2010, 10:31:04 PM »
Randy Lauer, new owner of Thunder Alley is a fine person to work with.

Any of you Omaha Shooters who remember the hassle involved with previous range owners in the Omaha area will appreciate Randy's open, positive style.   [Compare to a certain Bob at the now-closed Omaha pistol range near John Galt Blvd. and Q Street.   Remember the grilling Good Ol' Bob gave his customers about Where Did You Get Your Ammunition??  Show it To Me!   Prove It Ain't No Reload!!!   Sure took a great deal of the fun out of shooting.]

My only wish is that Thunder Alley was larger.   It has five pistol lanes and one rifle lane, which is fine for now but limits Randy's future growth prospects somewhat.

Anyhow, you can't get a range owner any more accommodating to his customers than Randy Lauer.

He was kind enough to add me to his list of CHP/CCW/NRA Instructors, which is sincerely appreciated.   It's worth the short drive to Lincoln [his shop is on the East side] to work with Randy.

I'm also a Bullet Hole (Omaha) member.   But I conduct many of my classes at Thunder Alley because the Bullet Hole is kind of a closed shop.   [And it was a bit off-putting when the Bullet Hole closed down our IDPA/IPSC shooting on Tuesday nights with extremely short notice.   Used to really look forward to Tuesday nights.   It wuz a Great Bunch of Shooters, those guys.]

So--Thanks to Randy for adding one more option to our shooting pleasure.   Let's support him all we can.

sfg
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 10:43:22 PM by SemperFiGuy »
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline Toster

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2010, 10:00:34 AM »
Does Thunder Alley do any IDPA/IPSC events?  I was going to start shooting up in Omaha, and they closed it the week I went.  :( 

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2010, 10:28:42 AM »
Does Thunder Alley do any IDPA/IPSC events?  I was going to start shooting up in Omaha, and they closed it the week I went.  :( 

It is in the works to hopefully start this fall

Offline Jesse T

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • XD Shooter
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2010, 11:33:54 AM »
Dang count me in! :D
N0ZXR

Offline Toster

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2010, 11:35:54 AM »
Durring the winter, Tue night would work good for me.

Offline bbtech

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2010, 08:07:13 AM »
Do you have to be a member of IDPA to shoot at an event? Will you be kind to us newbies if we show up?

Offline HuskerXDM

• 2014 NFOA Firearms Rights Champion
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2010, 07:09:32 PM »
Would really appreciate it if someone can let us know when Randy has a schedule for some leagues or something!  I've been there twice and had a nice conversation with him both times.  Good guy!
The master has failed more than the beginner has even tried.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2010, 07:49:25 PM »
HuskerXDM

Here's Thunder Alley's new weblink, which is now listed separately from Randy's Malcolm General Store:

http://www.thunderalley.us/

By clicking, you can go check it out directly for yourself if you wish.   And you can contact Randy directly by email thru his TA-US website.

BBTech:

National IDPA membership is a measly $40/year; $105 for three years.

You can check out their website at http://www.idpa.com/member_info.asp.

Many of the Tuesday night IDPA-shooters at the Bullet Hole were not members.   Guests shot at same price.   Nobody differentiated.   Nobody knew who was and who wasn't.  Nor really cared.   Very informal and comfortable.   Really Great Bunch of Shooters.   I really miss 'em.

I guess if you start shooting real good and winning everything, they might start checking.  

IDPA at Thunder Alley will depend upon the organizers.   Usually really great guys who want to encourage the shooting sports.

So---Show Up and Shoot!!!!

sfg
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 08:11:47 PM by SemperFiGuy »
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline bbtech

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2010, 08:06:56 AM »
Thanks SemperFiGuy. I can afford $40.00. I checked out some of the videos on the net and it looks like it would be a lot of fun plus helping to develop your self defense skills. We need to support this range and this looks like a good opportunity.

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2010, 08:28:54 AM »
Don't waste your money on an IDPA membership.... There is no presence here of that organization. Generally these matches are loosely organized just following their guidelines and rules

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2010, 11:59:22 AM »
Chris Z has a point here.   [He usually does.]

Actually, the only real reason for joining IDPA nationally is if you want whatever benefits the membership brings, which can be judged by reading their website and running your own personal cost-benefits check.   Non-IDPA membership usually won't prevent you from IDPA shooting.

Always missed Chris' presence at the Tuesday evening BH IDPA shoots [long drive, Syracuse-LaVista and back on dark winter nights].   Maybe TA, if Randy gets it set up?   Then I gotta do the long, dark drive.

Dang!   The BH was sooooooooo convenient.   And sooooooooooo fun!!!

sfg

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2010, 07:50:18 AM »
I should add, I once joined IDPA... They do next to nothing for their membership, especially compared to USPSA. No classification system managed by the organization, no magazine, etc. I tried to get IDPA safety Officer training here to jumpstart the sport and that wa near impossible.

Now that being said, if someone truly jumpstarted a local IDPA group that was active, I Would join them and the national organization

Offline Wildgoose

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2010, 10:07:04 AM »
I would like to add my support for the range as well. I stopped in for a short test run on my new carry sunbbie and found the experience to be great. Frinedly, fast and convient way to work a little shooting into a busy weekend day. I needed a some ammo which they had on hand in a good range of calibers. I am a member of Lincoln Ikes which is a great facility too but TA made it possible for me to get in a quick session that I could fit into my schedule. I will be back for sure. ;D

Offline Eagle1

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2011, 08:35:22 PM »
I had the opportunity to take the wife and friends to TA today. My wife had shot there BR (Before Randy), she was impressed as well. This was my second chance to get over there. We shot for an hour and had to wait a short time and when we left the front was full of people wanting to shoot.
Thanks to Randy and his family for there hard work and commitment to shooting in the Lincoln area.

Also had a chance to talk to fellow NFOA member Terry.
USN 83-87, American Legion