< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Anyone have an AR-15 barrel vise near Omaha?  (Read 1071 times)

Offline SeanN

• NFOA Full Member
Anyone have an AR-15 barrel vise near Omaha?
« on: September 13, 2010, 11:23:38 PM »
I recently got my barrel re-torqued by Bushmaster and now my compensator is just a bit off the correct indexing. I need to tighten it down just a bit and I'm afraid to use just my upper receiver vice because I might torque the barrel nut. I want to do it right with a barrel block/vice but I don't think it's worth spending $50 to do this one time.

Anyone have one that they wouldn't mind me using or I can drop by and you can help me work on it real fast? I have the wrench, just need the block and a decent vice. Should take 2 minutes tops.

I'll buy you a beer or some lunch after.  ;D

Offline 4RSC

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Anyone have an AR-15 barrel vise near Omaha?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 08:14:11 PM »
I have a vice barrel clamp for an AR15, your welcome to use it, However Hastings is not 'Near" Omaha.

If you can wait until the Hastings Gun Show, first week end in Oct I could sent it back with an NFOA member if anybody will be coming from the east....
Or if you pay the post man and send it back when your done, I'll mail it to you.

I got it from Model One for about $25

Fluff

Offline SeanN

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 08:18:26 AM »
Oh wow, you got one for $25? I could justify that. How does it work for you? I don't really need to stress it nearly as much as if I was torquing down the barrel nut, I just need to twist the comp about 10 degrees tighter. ;)

Offline SeanN

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 08:27:53 AM »
http://www.model1sales.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=604

Are those the ones you were talking about? If so... 15 bucks? Nice! That's doable for sure. Would the aluminum possibly scratch off some of the parkerizing of the barrel or am I being unnecessarily worried?

Offline Wesley D

• NFOA Full Member
  • Rifleman
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 08:59:37 AM »
Would the aluminum possibly scratch off some of the parkerizing of the barrel or am I being unnecessarily worried?

Unnecessarily worried?  I don't think so.  Every rifle that gets run harder than a safe queen eventually picks up scratches and marks, but that's no reason to bugger it up through negligence.  Try wrapping the barrel with a rag before putting it in the block.
"I will accept the rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert Heinlein

Offline FLUFF

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 12:22:25 PM »
I use a light piece of leather between that aluminum and the barrel.
I also use the same leather anytime I clamp something in the vice.

Old school but it works

FLUFF

Offline SeanN

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2010, 11:04:24 AM »
Strangely enough, I found the best deal on Bushmaster.com for these. Bushmaster takes awhile to ship out but they had the lowest price and the lowest shipping. Model 1 wanted to charge me $15 for shipping, basically doubling the price. I told them "no thanks."

Got my battlecomp tightened up so that the indexing is perfect. Thanks for the tips everyone... I was impatient (I seem to have this problem!) and didn't use anything between the barrel and the blocks. As expected, got 4 fun little lines of aluminum on the barrel. A bunch of CLP, about 10-20 passes with an old bore brush and a little bit of scrubbing/wiping with an old T-shirt and the parkerizing looks like new.

I'll have to be sure to get some leather scraps or at least some kind of insulation the next time I decide to mess with a muzzle device.  :P