Here's a link!

www.thebh.com/competition.php

Wear your Nebraska Firepower shirts!

JimP:
 ???
The link didn't work............

Jay:
I fixed your link for ya  :)

We have been wanting to attend for some time, but we have had 2 kids that need picked up on opposite ends of the city after work which has made it tough for us to do much of anything on weeknights. This week is the last week for football so starting next week we won't be so thinly spread out. Hopefully, we'll see ya'll next week!

JimP:
Next week is IPSC  :-\..........  (different rules- more of a game, less emphasis on use of cover, neutralizing greatest threats first, unlimited equipment.)........... IDPA is better training. You must draw from concealment (they require a strong-side holster at this shoot, due to safety concerns), use (at least you're SUPPOSED TO USE- some officials grade harder than others) cover, and equipment is limited to carry- type rigs.

IPSC (International Practical Pistol Confederation) was started to make a game out of practical pistol skills, with the idea being that amatuer competition would foster excellence. Col. Jeff Cooper was one of its early proponents.  It has been ruined by "Gamers" who are more interested in winning a match than improving their practical skills. I see nothing "practical" about a $5,000 9x21 mm compensated 'spacegun' with a 1 lb holo red dot sight in a magnetic retention open fronted holster on a spring steel 'belt'.............. you wouldn't wear that stuff on the street, so why practice that way? The answer I get is, " because it is fun." As Col. Cooper put it, "What good is it to redouble your efforts after you have lost sight of your goals?"

IDPA (International Defensive Pistol Association) was formed in response to the gaming of IPSC. It is still fun, and strengthens street skills at the same time. I am not saying that you can't practice finding the front sight at an IPSC match, but if you get in the habit of standing in the open in one spot and hosing down a series of targets, left to right or right to left, and you run into a real world situation with several ARMED assailants, you are going to get KILLED. Train as you will fight, and you will fight as you have trained. If have not trained, you have no idea what will happen. No  amount of training can completely prepare a person for using deadly force in a self-defense siuation, but it's good to have an idea.

Training is a GOOD THING. I hardly even have to think about the front sight anymore. I draw, rack, and present the pistol and the front sight is already on center mass of the target......... tap tap.

Except last night they threw a curve in.......... first stage had 3 armed BGs, one at 15 ft (center), one at 20' (on the left), and the third at maybe 23' (just to the right ). You were required to hit each one once before moving on to the next greatest threat, while backing away (creating distance). You are supposed to hit each target twice CM (or head) to avoid a time penalty. And the rear two targets had almost 50% 'hard cover'. You started facing to the right, with your strong hand on an imaginary ATM......... enough of the play-by play....... suffice to say that the new pistol shot very well, an I did pretty well (on the first run, 33 sec, 1 down- and not by much-, and 38 sec on the second run, 9 targets in each run, with no mikes and no hits on the non- threat.).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version