< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Auto Machine Guns, penalty, or lack thereof.  (Read 1243 times)

Offline skydve76

• Powder Benefactor
Auto Machine Guns, penalty, or lack thereof.
« on: February 05, 2011, 08:44:48 PM »
Help me understand something here, I though post ban (MG ban) auto machine guns were SEVERLY illegal with harsh penalties.

http://www.ketv.com/news/14883904/detail.html

This guy not only had thousands of pounds of explosive, he had a machine gun, another story I read said it had been modified to be fully auto.

All of this and he gets 3 years probation for both charges (last paragraph).

So it makes me wonder what if it were only the auto machine gun charge, it would of been even less time probation.

Sounds like a machine gun gets you a slap on the wrist around here?   

Anyone got any more info as to why this story makes it look like owning a machine gun is no big deal.  I was under the impression such a thing is prison time. 

Offline skydve76

• Powder Benefactor
Re: Auto Machine Guns, penalty, or lack thereof.
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 08:53:20 PM »

A-FIXER

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 09:43:10 PM »
As I read this it did not specify if the firearm was legal with class III paperwork that would also hold true for the suppressor/s they also must have proper class III paperwork. Sounds like he got probation for the commercial firework items.

Offline skydve76

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 09:59:28 PM »
"Jeremy Stork could have received up to five years in prison for each offense. Instead, he'll serve three years probation for possession of destructive devices and possession of a machine gun."

From the artical man.

A-FIXER

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2011, 10:18:11 PM »
yes, but again this is a writer in a news report, Hype is in the air and any legal owner with proper paperwork owning a full auto rifle with suppressor get pulled over while speeding the possible news report would go something like this. Today police pulled a driver speeding in excess if 15 miles over the speed limit was pull over today on I-80 and failure to allow officers to search the auto, caused concern and was held until the permission could be sought when further inspection of the auto when found a fully auto machine gun and ammo with mags also found a anti sound aka suppressor. Owning a fully auto machine gun and suppressor is a felony and inprisonment of multiple years in prison................................clarification in newpaper 3 days later on section G- in the cooking section . Reads like this as reported earlier the suspect caught speeding 15 miles over the speed limit did indeed have proper ownership and was attending a national gun show as he was a factory rep....

all the reported  facts are not known and or they chose not to find out and have been released to the the publisher of this report.

A-FIXER

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2011, 10:43:28 PM »
yes even those in the last link from your post, there are those who also concede that reporting is at best weak and barely accepted as factual in any context. I am not a gunsmith but the AR I own could be made to fire auto with selective fire and modifications. But it doesn't and never will by my hand or desires. Thanks for the news link though.....

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2011, 11:12:00 PM »
From the last story you posted it said he had an MP5 doing a little web search it sounds like it was possible to make some of these misfire where they would fire without pulling the trigger or possibly fire more than one round with only one pull of the trigger.  NOTE: this was uncommon and seems to have happened in unusual situations liek testing labs, there is one case of a police officer carrying one without the safety on and it went off (don't want to say this could not have been an only one situation but it was reported as a firearm malfunction).

Since there was not an attempt to alter the firearm to be auto, and it was not manufactured to be auto, and seems not to have always fired auto (story says they could make it happen); what would you think he should have recieved as a punishment?