< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Gladius upgrade  (Read 1291 times)

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
Gladius upgrade
« on: December 16, 2010, 04:11:12 PM »
My favorite light, excuse me, "illumination system", has long been the Blackhawk NightOps Gladius light. 

From the factory, it made about 90 lumens.  That was 3 years ago. 

Just recently, Strategos Int'l informed me that I could upgrade the Gladius to the Cree XPG R5 LED, which boosts output to 275+ lumens with no decrease in battery life.  I sent it off and 10 days later, it was back.

It'll burn paint now.  It's simply amazing how LED's continue to evolve.  The pace is mind-blowing. 

If you're a Gladius fan, this is something to consider IMHO. 

http://www.order-gear.com/Gladius-CREEmator-Upgrade_1890/Gladius-CREEmator-Upgrade_11226/
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline Jesse T

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • XD Shooter
Re: Gladius upgrade
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 05:17:56 PM »
Very cool, I like that they call it the CREEmator.  You're right about LED's evolving fast, my 1 yr old light is starting to look pretty long-eared by comparison.  Also surefire (which I love) has really dropped the ball on staying in front, a lot of other companies are stepping up their game way faster and surefire isn't looking so perfect anymore!
N0ZXR

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 06:00:17 PM »
Ain't it the truth?  Surefire still builds a quality light, but they're definitely lagging when it comes to technology.  My old Centurion is bullet proof but dim compared to today's lights.  And it just doesn't feel quite as good in my hands as does the Gladius.   
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline Roper

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 08:39:38 PM »
Nice!!!  thanks for the neat ideas.....
Concentrated power has always been the enemy of liberty.
Ronald Reagan

Offline rluening

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 10:14:51 PM »
I just picked up a Maelstrom G5 (made by 4Sevens) for under $100.

Absolutely amazing when compared to the 3 cell maglite that I once thought was pretty bright.

Now... to find an unobtrusive way to carry it....

/rl

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2010, 07:27:53 AM »
I just picked up a Maelstrom G5 (made by 4Sevens) for under $100.

Absolutely amazing when compared to the 3 cell maglite that I once thought was pretty bright.

Now... to find an unobtrusive way to carry it....

/rl

I've been looking at the Maelstrom.  I think it has the Cree XPG LED onboard as well.  Another prime example of the rapidly evolving "illumination system" market.  :)

I hear good things in general about the 4Sevens product.  Fenix is another. 

Offline rluening

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2010, 08:02:08 AM »
If you jump now they are still $96 direct from 4Sevens.

Really seems to be a nice light. The lowest setting is just enough to see close up work in a dark room and the highest is just bright enough to shock me every time I turn it on.

Can't give a reliability report - I've only had it a few days.

/rl

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2010, 09:17:45 AM »
I'm still a fan of the Streamlight Polytac at 130 Lumens and about $35.00.  Granted, it won't burn paint, but 130 Lumens is nothing to sneeze at.

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2010, 10:28:29 AM »
I'm still a fan of the Streamlight Polytac at 130 Lumens and about $35.00.  Granted, it won't burn paint, but 130 Lumens is nothing to sneeze at.

And truthfully, 130 is more than adequate for a tac light IMHO.  Durability and reliability are much more important qualities in a ilght. 

It's like everything else though.  It's a horsepower race.  :)