< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: message if you're needing a lower built.  (Read 898 times)

Offline hunter

• Forum Member
message if you're needing a lower built.
« on: December 20, 2010, 07:47:16 PM »
I recently had a good time building my AR lower, and I was thinking if anybody here needed theirs built I would help them on a weekend or do it by myself, just send me a message.

Offline rluening

• NFOA Full Member
Re: message if you're needing a lower built.
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2010, 09:09:54 PM »
I strongly suspect you need an FFL if you plan to advertise such services.

/rl

A-FIXER

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 09:39:22 PM »
I don't know but we as friends here on the site.......... Hunter stated he would help them I did not gather it was an offer to SELL THE LOWERS and along that nature, just help those who cannot do by themselves, or chose to as we all know we all can buy required parts to build an Lower without an FFL. If any others are aware of such, please post the facts so we can also read it I did google and search for such results and I came up empty.... rluening do you have a site that states you understanding of such law? not digging at you just curious as how you may know.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 10:00:56 PM »
A-Fixer, that's my understanding too.  He can help people assemble them, he just can't sell them or take possession of them while he's assembling.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010, 10:10:46 PM »
I have been trying to find the specifics, but I agree that building a lower for someone is probably  considered gunsmithing, and as such requires a type 01 FFL. The fact that it was done for free may not make any difference, but who knows?

On the other hand, in my opinion, sharing tools and expertise among friends and helping them to assemble their own  lower receiver is not gunsmithing, it's just neighborly ;)
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline rluening

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2010, 10:21:20 PM »
As I said in the original posting - "I strongly suspect..." I'm just trying to help out here.

I would suggest making sure you understand the law before advertising such service. We're talking about the agency that has ruled a shoelace is a machine gun. They may or may not worry about little things like money changing hands.

/rl

Offline rluening

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2010, 10:28:42 PM »
One useful link : http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/gunsmiths.html

I'm not a lawyer. I won't try to interpret anything for anyone.

/rl

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2010, 06:01:41 AM »
Ummmm... sorry, but if someone can't put an AR15 lower together on their own.... they need to turn in their "man card".   ::)
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.