General Categories > Non Gun Stuff

Well, I'll be damned, it happened again...

<< < (3/4) > >>

FarmerRick:

--- Quote ---Dan said:I can appreciate the concern about fraud, but how about a "heads up"Bank of the West???
--- End quote ---

There is your main problem right there my friend.  They are rated almost as bad as Bank of America for customer service.

sparky:
I am also with Bank of the West and just went through the whole Lamar's Donuts thing.  I have not gone through what you apparently have though and understand your frustration.

gsd:
And people give me crap about prefferring FTF cash transactions.

If i ever HAVE to buy anything online, i use one of those prepaid cards that i put only the amount i need on it.

Hope everything squares away.

sparky:
I always use a credit card online.  Mine was not online, all I did was take my daughter to Lamar's donuts and used my debit card and BLAMO I get a $100 charge to radio shack in Fort Worth, Texas.

Ronvandyn:
One of the worlds largest credicard processors resides right here in Omaha.  First Data.  I worked for them for 7 years, in their Fraud Detection Unit, 1 year as an agent and 6 as a supervisor.  During that time I shut down thousands of cards due to actual fraud, and hundreds of thousands due to possible fraud.  I remember one day when I (and a few other supervisors) shut down an entire banks portfolio of cards due to a computerized credit card hacking operation.  Must have been 400,000 cards in that portfolio.  And no, we didnt call any of the card holders.  It was esitmated that we prevented more than 22 million dollars in fraud that day.

Debit cards are a troublesome breed of beast.  Most people think that the money they spend with them comes directly out of their checking or savings accounts, and that is not the case.  Eventually it does of course, but several things happen during that transaction that we as consumers never see.  Like that the authorization is a promise from the bank to the merchant to transfer the funds, a promise that by law cannot be broken. 

There is no way to absolutely prevent credit card fraud in your name.  Not having a card is not going to help much in that, Identity Theft is the fastest growing criminal enterprise in the world, and its childs play to get a card issued in someone elses name if you have their information.

I keep an eye on my accounts daily, as does my wife.  She had some fraud on one of her accounts a few years back at a local NAPA auto parts store, but nothing since then.  This is the best way to stop credit card fraud.  Stop, not prevent.  You just cant prevent it.

Scary, 'eh?

Ron

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version