< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Cut and thread Mossberg 930 barrel?  (Read 5001 times)

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
Cut and thread Mossberg 930 barrel?
« on: December 26, 2010, 11:15:40 AM »
Can anyone recommend someone locally who can cut down a Mossberg 930 barrel and rethread it for the original choke tubes?  I picked one up for dirt cheap to use for 3 Gun, but the barrel is ported which would bump me into open class.  I'd like to cut it down just in front of the porting and rethread it.

I was going to go with an 1100 but I found a killer deal on a brand new 930 that I couldn't pass up.  I've ready Benny Hill and Jerry Miculek are running the 930 now, so apparently it can be made into a decent competition gun.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
Re: Cut and thread Mossberg 930 barrel?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2010, 02:01:59 PM »
Might it be easier to just get another barrel?

found this one in a search, would something like this work?  
http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1286389

BTW, this is who I thought of when you said "Benny Hill"

« Last Edit: December 26, 2010, 02:06:29 PM by FarmerRick »
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 10:06:12 PM »
Ha!  I missed your reply earlier.  Every time I hear about Benny Hill the gunsmith/3 gun guru I start hearing Yakety Sax go through my head.  I spent many an evening watching that show with my Grandpa.  Probably explains some things about how I turned out.

That barrel would work, but I want one threaded for chokes so I might as well just cut and thread the one I have.  I've seen guys have problems knocking over steel with a cylinder bore gun.  Plus, I'd like to stay a little longer than 18.5.  Cutting my barrel before the ports will get me to 22".  The big problem is that Mossberg doesn't offer unported 930 barrels except in 18.5".

I picked up the gun a few days ago but haven't had time to really look at it until now.  Overall I think it's going to be a good 3 gun rig.  It's very light, and from what I've read they're very reliable even with light loads once they're broken in.  They're supposed to be soft-recoiling, too, due to the gas piston design.  The bad news is it's going to need some work to be ready for 3 gun.  The big thing is the lifter on it is like a set of Chinese fingercuffs.  When you try to load fast it grabs your thumb and won't let go.  I tried loading fast a few times and ended up with a sore thumb.  I'll have to weld it up to get rid of the gap that's catching my thumb.  Luckily, I can do all the work myself except for cutting & threading the barrel, so once I'm finished I should have a shotgun that can shoot better than I can for about 1/3 the price of a competition-ready Benelli.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 10:10:08 PM by bkoenig »

Offline osprey176

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 11:16:38 PM »
Don't know where local is for you,but Carlson in Attwood,Kansas does excellent work,and fast too.I dropped off a 20 ga. barrel last summer on the way to Texas,and the barrel got home before I did.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2011, 04:54:42 PM »
I actually found a gunsmith on Arfcom that has done quite a few 930 barrels for people on there.  I just sent it off to him today - $75 including return shipping.  Not too bad of a price.